Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being a fan of the .44 Special cartridge since I owned a Rossi stainless in the early 1990s (and foolishly let it get away), I would love to have one of the Taurus 2" in this caliber (yes, I know they don't make them anymore).

I have, however, read a few accounts of cylinder binding with these guns. Is this the norm or the rare exception? I wouldn't want to buy one used and have it be a "jammer".

I do own a Taurus 85 and a 669 that have been excellent for years.

Thanks for any replies.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
I have a 4" mod 441 w/ adj sights that has quickly become my favorite handgun over the past two years. It has never bound or indicated that it might. It is very shootable and exceptionaly accurate w/ my handloads, I may just use it for deer seaon this year. I bought this gun used and wouldn't hesitate to buy another used one after a thorough inspection, as with any gun.

*Edited to remove comment on the 2" Mod 445 which is listed in the GUNS Magazine 2008 annual but not on the Taurus web sight.*

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
The website is known to be out of date on stuff so it might still exist. But since I think its been a couple of years since Taurus made any 44 special guns I think you might be right.

Steelheart

·
32,653 Posts
.44 Special revolvers have not been made for several years as Steelheart has posted. While these were good revolvers the market for that caliber just hasn't been there as much as Taurus wanted. Smith& Wesson found that out recently in the last few years as well. Their model .44 Special revolver N frame and also including the Scandium model are not as hot sellers as they thought possible.

Since Taurus' manufacturing capacity, while large, is limited with all the new models of other handguns coming off the assembly lines.

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
Charter still makes the Bulldog in .44 Sp. S&W still lists one. All the others I find are S.A. style. Evidently the S.A.S.S. shooters like them.

·
32,653 Posts
I should have clarified that better. S&W does make a revolver in that caliber and so does Charter Arms. I was refereing to the fact that Taurus no longer makes these revolvers.

Charter has good products, but has had some lemons recently. The Bulldog though is still a good choice.

·
Super Moderator
35,281 Posts
If I were into .44, I'd check out a bulldog. I had an undercover back in the 80s and it was an okay gun, but frankly, I preferred the M88 Rossi I had at the time, sold it. They work, though, just the Rossi was stainless and a little more accurate and just as well built IMHO. I prefer stainless if it's going to ride in a sweaty pocket.

I've never been a big and slow fan, though I appreciate the .45 ACP in a good gun. But, in a revolver, I'd rather have a .357 or .38. I think that's why the .44s don't have as big a market, fewer big and slow types in the revolver world, but there is a niche market for them that Charter originally filled with the bulldog and others followed.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have a 441 and a 445 and both have been 100% in function. I also have a S&W 696 to round out the field. Although you can chamber .44 Specials in a .44 Mag - that isn't really the point or the allure of the .44 Special.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Greeeaaat pics Antibubba. You a professional photographer, or just have an expensive camera (or both)?

·
Registered
96 Posts
i've got a 6" 44 special stainless, and the gun is a pleasure to shoot.
the only problem is the rear sight went bad ,i called taurus and they said sendthe sight back. i'm anxiously awaiting receipt of the same .

·
32,653 Posts
50/50, how did the sight "go bad" and what model do you have? I owned a blued model and those sights were adjustable.There was a ball bearing inside the rear sight that could come loose and pop out if the sight was played with too much.

Sight regulation was an easy task for me and I am not mechanically inclined. :) Someone had turned the sights all the way to one side and down before I bought it.Corrected that and had no problems.

Said revolver was sold to aquire a Taurus 85CH. Needs change. :)

Unless the sights are bent or somehow abused these usually do not "go bad" So kind of curious.Maybe something I did not consider is in play here.

Had that happen many moons ago and sent the revolver in for maintenance. Recieved it back in three weeks with a letter and certificate of what happened and what was changed. No charge at all for any of this. To or from the factory as a matter of fact.

·
Registered
96 Posts
the sight blade was loose and i couldn't figure how to tighten it.i contacted taurus to get instructions on how to tighten it,however they said send it back and they would send a new one.dan

·
32,653 Posts
Taurus has no direct e-mail to the company, but Richard From Taurus, factory rep and new board member, is on board. Why not ask him about that in starter thread for yours at the Revolver board? He gets around the boards looking at all the queries and such.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Thanks, QD. :)

Richard, if you're out there...please contact me at my email if you have information on buying a .44 special cylinder.

I posted this request over in Smithing, but no response...hope I get some here.

Jim

·
Registered
96 Posts
qwiks draw got my sight back and installed,took it to range friday and it
the 44 special was right on,really liked the 250gr cast with 12,5 grs off 2400.
thanks for info on richard from taurus. dan

·
32,653 Posts
50/50. Glad things worked out. Nifty recipe.

This guy, Richard From Taurus, peruses all the threads. Hope he takes a look at our wish lists for handguns,rifles, and shotguns we all hope will come about. :)

·
Registered
96 Posts
yeah, i think a 44 special on a tracker series frame would be neat.
if it weren't so expensive i'd try toget my security six converted to 44 special.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts