Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

· Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pretty much only two 2 that I prefer to use...

One FFL is a bit of a drive for me, he's got a low transfer fee and usually calls me to pick up a day or two after an order arrives...

The other FFL is much closer to me, a little more expensive but always schedules me another week out, for pickup.

Come on already, been waiting long enough for it, I want to go shooting NOW. :(

· Registered
414 Posts
Mine is close by, calls either the same day my purchases arrive, or the following business day, ready to go. Also has had the lowest transfer fees in my area. However he plans to retire this year, dunno if he's going to have a buyer for his business or just shut it down.

· Registered
614 Posts
Got a local one who is quite good. Reasonable and quick

· Registered
538 Posts
In Oregon the last NICS check took a bit over 3 weeks. That was with 3,500+ applications in front of me. I was in the gun store last week and overheard the clerk told a buyer that there were over 6,000 in front of him. But my first in 3 purchases in Oregon only took a few minutes on the phone...

· Registered
3,531 Posts
If I call ahead the process can start as soon as I get there. Depends on how busy they are though.

Once started probably five to ten minutes to finish.

I have a CCL.

Reactions: SpeedBuggy

· Registered
825 Posts
Immediately. Once the firearm arrives he calls/emails us. We go to store and withing 5 minutes are walking out the door. Background check is nearly immediate.

· Registered
414 Posts
My understanding of NICS checks is if you have a carry permit, the NICS check is bypassed...

All About The NICS Background Check Exemption for Concealed Carriers | Gun Belts Blog
"Whether you're looking to get a good CCW or put something else in the gun safe, it's a benefit of having a concealed carry license. That is, if you live in an applicable state."

Texas is an applicable state. But it varies by state.

· Administrator
43,039 Posts
I have a friend in town that operates out of his home. I’ve ordered my last few purchases sent to him. He calls me when he receives them. I go over, we drink coffee and tell stories, check over the firearm, fill out the 4473 and I’m on my way. No background check with my LTC and he charges $10.
So it can go as fast as I want it to be.

· Registered
3,799 Posts
Here in PA, it usually takes seven to ten minutes, and depending on the shop and your connection to the dealer, may be as low as $10.00, but some jackwagons charge as much as $50.00. Of course, call ahead and see what their rate is. Average is $20-30 around here.

· Premium Member
9,806 Posts
I used to go to an FFL that never called me when my deliveries were in. I had a suppressor sit there for 2 months and they never called.

My current FFL emails me right away when something comes in and I'm usually out the door in 10 minutes or so. Most of the time is me filling out the stupid form. Why they can't pull up my previous answers is beyond me. The only time I have to wait longer is if they are busy and it takes a few minutes for one of the counter guys to get free.

I've never had an NICS check take more than 2 minutes. They're usually done in under a minute.

· Registered
74 Posts
I recently bought a G2C and had it sent to my local FFL. They asked that once tracking showed it had been delivered to give them until the next day to pick it up. I have seen them get pallets of merchandise and guns and so can understand them wanting to get things in order before processing a firearm purchase.

My entire time in filling out the form, giving over my ID, and paying the transfer fee is about ten minutes. This includes the time to run the background check. They do charge $40.00 for transfer, which is high, but I go along with it for the convenience. The next nearest FFL is another county away and they charge almost as much.

· Registered
1,069 Posts
The Fella who owns the LGS down here is a personal Friend of mine, and his shop is only a mile or so from the house. I have everything shipped to his shop. He normally texts me within an hour of receiving my item(s)!
I usually can get in/out within a couple of minutes, but it NEVER goes that way, because we end up 'jackin' jaws' for a while, most times an hour or more!

My understanding of NICS checks is if you have a carry permit, the NICS check is bypassed...

All About The NICS Background Check Exemption for Concealed Carriers | Gun Belts Blog
Kentucky recognizes the Exemption above ^^^, which makes it really quick and easy for me! He charges me $10, more than fair as far as I'm concerned!

· Registered
2,643 Posts

That is true - UNLESS your state laws say something else.
It used to be that way here in Washington, and still is for shotguns, bolt guns, and lever guns.
For SA rifles and pistols we have a STATE background check now, and that is done by the sheriff's office in the county of purchase. That is what takes 7-10 days.

· Registered
1,096 Posts
That is true - UNLESS your state laws say something else.
It used to be that way here in Washington, and still is for shotguns, bolt guns, and lever guns.
For SA rifles and pistols we have a STATE background check now, and that is done by the sheriff's office in the county of purchase. That is what takes 7-10 days.

Yeah...my son is stationed at Lewis-McChord at Tacoma...from what I understand even used gun, private purchases must go through an FFL.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts