Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, new Scheel's store opened a couple of weeks ago. They had CCI 500 primers for the grand opening, so I grabbed my allotted brick. $49.99/1K, so not to shabby. I hit them for a few days afterwards, and built my primer stock back up. Went by today, and SOLD OUT!!! No idea of a resupply date. So, I'm back to reloading some range rounds.

Here's my question. I load Extreme 124gr plated for both our 9mm pistols and our Ruger PC Carbines. The Speer data sheet recommended by Extreme lists 4.5gr of W231 as the max load. I've shot a ton of those, and no signs of overpressure on any of the brass I've used. I'm pegging just above the listed average velocity out of our G17's(998FPS average listed, 1020 average actual), around 1050 out of my 4" Xd Mod2, and almost 1100 out of the PC carbines. All measurements are on a Comp Electronics ProChrono DLX.

So, my question is, how far is too far to push it? I'm not looking for anything near my NATO rounds in the fort(1250FPS average), however, I'd like to get fairly close to the 1150FPS area that my Glocks seem to like with factory Federal 124gr FMJ. Is this even possible with W231 at all?

On a side note, I did look at HP-38 load data, and it lists 5.1gr as the max charge, at 1175 average FPS. I know people say HP-38 and W231 are the same, just don't want to make a noob mistake.

Reactions: DeltaBravoKS

·
9,244 Posts
Depends on which version of the Xtreme 124 plated you have. Their version one has a max of around 1100 before possible plating separation, Their V2 which is double plated is good up to 1250 FPS. AS far as powder loads, w231 and HP 238 are the same. Most recent loading data is backed off a bit from 10 years ago. So I think you are ok pushing a bit higher than max..but not much. I use Titegroup and power pistol for my 9mm loads..Titegroup up to 1150, and power pistol up to 1250. Hopefully another reloader will pop in with W231 data.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, Silverstring. Mine are all V2(marked 1250FPS MAX on the box as well).

·
Registered
37,209 Posts
I loaded Extreme for quite a while, then it became quite hard to near impossible to get the projectiles I wanted so I switched to coated projectiles.
anyway i load the plated and coated (range ammo) exactly like the jacketed, same load data for the same projectile (weight/style) and haven't had a single problem with either.
I load the 124 grain with HS-6 normally but if using w-231/ HP -38 my load is 5.1 grains, oal is 1.125( this length works in all my 9MM pistolas), yours may be different on OAL, this is with the RN version.

Reactions: Lone Eagle
1 - 5 of 5 Posts