Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I've done some thinkering and work on my 1911

• I'm a pretty experienced 1911 owner

How experienced a 1911 Shooter are you?

2K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  GSXRanger 
#1 ·
I'd like to discover the experience level of our PT1911 owners. Unlike most of the other Taurus guns, the PT1911 is a standard design and some of our readers are pretty experienced 1911 shooters and home gunsmiths

#2 ·
I never owned a 1911 till I bought my PT1911. I bought my first pistol several years ago, a CZ-75, on my 21st birthday.

I was a straight rifle guy till then. I fell in with a gang of pistol people in college and I started shooting with them. That was my first introduction to handguns because my dad never really liked handguns. He loves rifles, but only keeps a pistol around for home defense.

I shot a few 1911s before settling on my PT and am happy with my purchase.

#3 ·
PT1911 is my first 1911 and now... won't be the last. I had been a rifle shooter for most of my life and never saw a need for a handgun because I also practiced martial arts for 15 years and know from training what to do when a handgun is pulled on me. However, as I started to age, gain weight, and slow down I realized that I needed something quite a bit faster than my feet and fists, so I purchased a Ruger P97. That was the nose of the camel into the tent and now I am sleeping with the camel! ;D I've had my sights on a 1911 for a couple years, but never really could bring myself to spending the exhorbatant prices of many of them, or the reasonable prices but for a ill equiped model. Then came the Taurus 1911 and changed it all for me. :)

#4 ·
Pierce... 1911's are adictive. I'm not sure just why... the fact that they are so user friendly for stripping them down, the fact that there are so many do-dads to put on them or repair and tinker with them... or the mystic of shooting a gun with so much history from multiple wars and classic target shooting. I know that you do get a blast from owning , shooting, messing with them.

#5 ·
The first 1911 I've owned is the PT1911 I bought a few months ago. Nice shooting pistol that seems to get better each time I shoot it. The first 1911 I fired was in 1969 and I fired them for annual qualifications until 1996. Hard to say if I'm such a newbie to 1911's.

#6 ·
Cimarron it is really bad! I want to modify this PT1911 something fierce and not because it doesn't work, but because as you said "you do get a blast from owning, shooting, messing with them" and it is so true! LOL! Here in a few weeks I will likely ship my gun off to have the slide chrome platted and maybe Duracoat the frame. Have you ever heard of this company before, Elite Custom Plating? http://www.elitecustomguns.com/index.htm

#7 ·
This is my first true 1911, but I have been shooting a Ruger P89 for almost 10 years! It is a 1911 style pistol and has a lot of the same traits as the 1911. So I took to the new PT1911 rather easily! In a way, I wish the 1911 was as easy to field strip as the Ruger...no barrel bushing on the Ruger and the take down lever never comes out of the frame on the Ruger...otherwise, they are very similar!

#11 ·
Hello everyone. New to this forum but have recently bought a PT 1911 and decided I would chime in my 2 cents worth. WHAT A GUN!!!! I have bought and sold and swapped many guns over the years, and I can say this.....I am 38 years old and this one will be with me until I croak. Also as a side note I carry this off duty when not at work as a deputy sheriff. That should be a vote of confidence for anyone considering this gun.

Hayseed

#12 ·
I did some smithing and instructing at API (American Pistol Institute, now known as Gunsite) back when it first opened. Shot competitions with 1911's among other firearms... So I guess that makes me a tad more then a newbie... ;)

#13 ·
I've built my own 1911 from parts purchased at a gun show prior to 1968, have been carrying them and modifying them for 40 years, still don't understand everything about them but I'm getting better LOL. JMB was a genius designing this pistol at that point in history.

#14 ·
I used to compete with a customized Colt Series 70. I wasn't very good at bullseye shooting, especially slow fire. I did OK in timed and rapid...go figure. I'm guessing I have probably shot somewhere around 20K rounds through that gun and other Colt, Star and Springfield 1911s. (And I still like my PT1911!)

#15 ·
This is my first 1911. I came into the Army in 1986, and we had already transitioned over to the M9. But, I have been an operator now for 20 years, with many schools under my belt. For fun, I have been dabbling in some IDPA stuff, and some IPSC limited 10 matches, as well as handloading... so, I know my way around a handgun. Having said that, I have always been a "Glock Guy"... so, learning to shoot this 1911 fast, is a challenge. The trigger is different, the reset is different, and most importantly the grip angle is different than my Glocks.

But, this old dog is all about learning new tricks!!

I am looking forward to learning more about the 1911... and this wont be my last one. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.