Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
8,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
( I'm not even going to ask the Alaskans)

so, last night one of my pet peeves surfaced on a cooking show the wife watches. I understand that we have several members from those "Cute little States" along the East Coast and I am sure that they don't present the behavior I find irksome and I am not accusing ALL of the residents of this buuuuuuut.......

Last night a contestant on the cooking show announces that she "Didn't come all the way to New York (city) from Philadelphia to lose"

"All the way" ???? I checked it out on a routefinder and it seems that "All the way" amounts to 80 miles as the crow flies. Poor Baby. I have heard so many people from the E Coast repeat that sentiment. Amazing to me. Now Oregon isn't the biggest State in the union, even though several of our Counties are larger than some States (Mine included) but let me put "80 miles" into perspective from my view.

80 miles= less than 4 round trips to our nearest grocery store.

80 miles= 1 round trip to the nearest McDonalds

80 miles= one way distance to the nearest WalMart

80 miles= almost 1/5 of the distance from here to the nearest 4 star restaurant or airport that can handle a 7XX passenger jet.

I am amazed that Texans put up with it better than I do. I remember a trip through west Texas when I was a kid. I swear there were stretches, at nigh, where we went 80 miles without seeing an electric light. I know, at the time that had to have been the round trip distance for some folks to say "Howdy" to their next-door neighbors.

I think there is quite a difference in distance perspective across this Country.

Then again, I'd have loved to have gotten a sense of her perspective by asking her to hold her hands, what she thought, was 12" apart.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
That's one thing I love about Texas. I can drive 6 hours and still be in the state. I can drive from planes to woods to the gulf and over to the hill country. It's not uncommon for us to drive 3 hours one way to see relatives. Then we drive back the same day.

Fun fact: dfw airport is bigger than the island of Manhattan.
Dfw metroplex is bigger than Rhode island and Connecticut combined.

Oh yeah, we were a republic and are the only state in the union that can fly our flag at the same height as the US flag.

You're right. Alaskans are crazy.

·
22,292 Posts
I routinely drive 100 miles round trip for Popeye's chicken. But I'd rather do that twice than drive from Philly to NYC. Driving in that traffic sux.

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
We had to drive to North Carolina from Texas. My sister who lives outside of Chicago beat us there. She called and wanted to know where we were (we were in Knoxville TN). She asked what was taking so long? I told her it is 1200 miles to Mom's, which stunned her. I asked how far she drove. Less than 800 miles. I laughed at her and said it was farther from Texarkana to El Paso than the distance she drove. She was appalled. So are many tourists! :D Had one ask me how much farther it was to El Paso (from Weatherford). I said about 500 miles! He and his wife almost fainted!

·
Supporting SuperModerator
14,937 Posts
You know it's a fur piece is you ask how far and they give you a time measurement.

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
Wide open spaces driving the, ahem, speed limit...
Perhaps that is why the "Speed Limit" on I-10 and I-20 west of Odessa is 80 mph. Besides, we don' need no steenkeen speed leemeets! :D :D :p

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
You know it's a fur piece is you ask how far and they give you a time measurement.
We used to do this when we lived in New Mexico. We still do it in Texas! It's 3.5 hours to Big Spring with no stops. Five hours if I have my wife along (there's a Kmart in Sweetwater that is a must stop)! :D

·
Registered
18,786 Posts
That's one thing I love about Texas. I can drive 6 hours and still be in the state. I can drive from planes to woods to the gulf and over to the hill country. It's not uncommon for us to drive 3 hours one way to see relatives. Then we drive back the same day.

Fun fact: dfw airport is bigger than the island of Manhattan.
Dfw metroplex is bigger than Rhode island and Connecticut combined.

Oh yeah, we were a republic and are the only state in the union that can fly our flag at the same height as the US flag.

You're right. Alaskans are crazy.
That's nothin'. Around here, you can drive for six hours and still be in the same county. Between the hilly, winding, two-lane roads with very few passing zones and an abundance of "tourists" (people with absolutely nowhere to go and all damned day to get there), it can take hours just to travel 50 miles. All it takes is to get behind one "Pennsylvania Porsche" (beat-up ol' pickup with a wooden bed) and a quick trip to the store can take the better part of a day.

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
Driving across Texas at night and see headlights in the distance. Three days later you get there and you are both running faster than the speed limit. A fur peace in Texas ain't got nothing to do with anything that has hair on it.
Got that right, bro! :D :D

Reactions: Texheim

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
That's nothin'. Around here, you can drive for six hours and still be in the same county. Between the hilly, winding, two-lane roads with very few passing zones and an abundance of "tourists" (people with absolutely nowhere to go and all damned day to get there), it can take hours just to travel 50 miles. All it takes is to get behind one "Pennsylvania Porsche" (beat-up ol' pickup with a wooden bed) and a quick trip to the store can take the better part of a day.
That's why we build our roads with a full sized shoulder. You can tell if someone is from Texas if they pull over and drive on the shoulder to let you pass. Those that aren't we pass on the right and scare the $#!! out of them. :D

·
Registered
21,111 Posts
My sister swam in college for Galudet in DC. She would go to meets and say she was 80 miles from campus and I'd ask her were she was? Her response was always "I don't know but we went through 6 states"

Sent from an undisclosed underground location by fingerless monkeys using TapatalkI

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
When I was living in Georgia I drove from Atlanta to Houston to pick up some stuff I had not moved yet. When I got to Beaumont I had only drove half way to El Paso.

·
Super Moderator
13,819 Posts
I'm just a little bit familiar with Texas distances, having been next-door-neighbors with y'all for many, many years. Each time I visit, though, I religiously obey the speed limits. It may be stereotyping, but I live in some fear of that Texas patrolman with the speed laser, who is the nephew of the police chief and the grandson of the mayor of that Small Town in Texas, whose brother owns the local auto repair shop and whose wife manages the only hotel in town. Yessir, when I'm in Texas I'm the model of a law abiding citizen, even on those looooooooooooooooooooooooong stretches of "empty" highway.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts