Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
15,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been wondering about this. I'm looking for feedback
on how you folks carry. That is: who carries with a round chambered,
or unchambered. Of course, this applies to semi-autos.

I have been carrying my 1911 style pistols without chambering a round,
until just recently. I have since changed that to condition one. I also carry
a Glock27. I used to also carry that pistol unchambered. Today,
while coming back home after dropping my son off at school, I heard a blurb
on the local AM station.

A guy was robbed at gunpoint. They not only took his wallet and his car,
they cracked him over the head before they left him. It just so happens that
in the same exact area where this robbery took place, I and some other friends
are playing a worship event next week.

This robbery took place at 51st & Memorial, in Tulsa. That's exactly where we are
playing next week. Never again will I go out without chambering a round.
I drove there this morning to check out the place. It's in a seemingly very nice area,
in a shopping center. But, one never knows what skullduggery is lurking in the
shadows! Oh, & I had my Glock with me, with a round chambered! :mad: :mad: :mad:

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
My vote for out and about, especially in the evening, would be to carry with a round in, and safety on. Even if I have it sitting in the glovebox.

Recently the gun I put in the car has been a revolver, so it is always ready, not even a safety to take off.

Wish the wife would let me put one in her glove box, because she is one of first in at her work, and while not the last to leave, during the winter it is dark by the time she hits the road.

They are way the heck back in a new industrial developement, limited traffic after the construction workers leave, and before they come to work.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
I do not carry however i do plan to before long.

i'll probably carry my pt92.. or possibly a px4-sc once they finally make it to the stores.

im interested in both open and concealed carry, open is legal to anyone who can legitimately posses the gun.

concealed we have to get a license.

i think for open probably empty chamber..

concealed definitely chambered, probably safety off.
you can carry the pt92 cocked and locked but im not sure how comfortable i would be..
the frame safety could get switched off and the SA pull is extremely light.

as for the 1911 have no fear that gun was made to be carried cocked and locked.
it also has a grip safety on the back strap.. imo a its' a very safe gun i would have no problems carrying that cocked and locked.

·
Registered
153 Posts
When my CCW permit is completed processing, I intend to carry my PT145 with a round chambered and a full clip (10+1) with safety on. I checked the safety on this weapon, and it takes a good amount of pressure to turn the safety off, so I should be safe.

·
Registered
61 Posts
In an urban setting (church, shopping, etc) I carry a .357 j-frame. Easily concealable and always ready. Out and about (hiking, fishing,etc) the carry weapon is a 24/7 pro .45 with a round chambered and the safety on.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
One in the pipe all the time. On duty and off duty. Striker fired pistol just keep your finger off the trigger. If it's got a hammer---cocked and locked.

·
Administrator
39,896 Posts
PT145 IWB (holster) round chambered and safety on. :angel:

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
PT111 w/ Uncle Mike's (open style) inside waistband holster, round chambered and safety on as daily carry. If I'm riding a bike, hiking, hunting or doing something active I'll use a shoulder holster, sometimes carrying the Ruger .357 neatly tucked under the arm, full of six rounds ready to go (no empty chamber).

·
Registered
959 Posts
Gardian.32 in the right pocket all the time~Hot Round Chambered, and Six in the Mag~and Mag #2 in the left pocket~Loaded with Max Penetraitors~this Gun doesn't have any safety...<:))

·
Registered
138 Posts
My PT 145 or PT 111 is always in condition one, over my right kidney. One in the pipe with the thumb safety on. My BUG is a KelTec P3AT with one in the pipe and a full compliment of JHP. There is no safety on the P3AT and even though the gun is in the 1/2 cock condition, KelTec tells me that with the internal safety system built into the gun, it is impossible for it to fire unless someone pulls the trigger. So be it.

The 850B in the holster screwed to the side of the cash drawer at the shop is loaded with HydraShocks. The 851 could be in my Fannypack or God knows where. The 940 lives in my nightstand.

There's a 12ga. Mossberg on hooks over my my bedroom doorframe, one in my trunk, and one in a rack screwed to the back of the seat frame in my pick up.

The PT 1911 still lives at my dealer, because I haven't saved the $ to go and bring it to it's new home.

Doug Remember... You're not paranoid, if they really ARE out to get you!

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Full mag and 1 chambered regardless of what type of gun it is. If I'm carrying something double action with a safety the safety will be off, hammer down. If its a single action auto (1911) the safety will be used (I'm crazy not stupid). Wheel guns are carried with a full cylinder.

Steelheart

·
Registered
878 Posts
used to be a pocket revolver guy, but these days I use either a Pt111MP in a mikes IWB or fobus paddle, or a Keltec P3at in the pocket.  The autos have finally won out. Darn!
Oh! I forgot, 1 in the pipe always.

·
Registered
8 Posts
With the PT-111, Round in the chamber, full mag of 12, thumb safety on, inside of either a belly band or an unkle mikes inside the waist band.

With the CZ-75, round in, full mag of 15, hammer cocked, thumb safety on, belly band or IWB holster.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just started actual carry today, (CCW permit finally cleared,) and have been carrying the gun loaded around the house to get used to it, and see what I like/dislike

So Taurus PT92, 17 round mag with Federal HydraShock JHP's. Round Chambered, hammer down, safety on.

Carried one of two ways, (depending on jacket/coat, and will probably get a smaller Taurus .38 revolver for CC during spring/summer months.) Mitch Rosen Leather shoulder holster (horizontal) or a Fobus E2 Roto paddle on strong arm side set in an FBI forward cant.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
When my makarov was my primary carry a few years back I tried a full speed draw while practicing. It felt like it too forever to get that safety off and get the gun out etc.

If you chose to use the safety thats fine. Just practice ALWAYS disengaging it during the draw so that its beyond second nature. Remember that one of the loudest sounds in the world is a click (or the silence caused from your safety still being on when you really needed a BANG).

If I'd ever go back to carrying a 1911 (the most likely gun with a safety that I'd use while carrying) I'd have to practice the draw/safety thing for a while to get back into it.

Steelheart

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Steelheart said:
When my makarov was my primary carry a few years back I tried a full speed draw while practicing. It felt like it too forever to get that safety off and get the gun out etc.

If you chose to use the safety thats fine. Just practice ALWAYS disengaging it during the draw so that its beyond second nature. Remember that one of the loudest sounds in the world is a click (or the silence caused from your safety still being on when you really needed a BANG).

If I'd ever go back to carrying a 1911 (the most likely gun with a safety that I'd use while carrying) I'd have to practice the draw/safety thing for a while to get back into it.

Steelheart
Amen to that. I went to the range the other day and went to fire my Ruger and nothing! :???:
The safety was ON. I never have the safety on with anything I carry. Some of my guns are up for safety off and some are down, so I never use it. It took me way too long to figure out the safety was on. I was a dead man. Whatever you choose to do, do it the same always! And always one in the chamber. Why wouldn't you?

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Thats why I don't buy anything with an Up to fire direction safety. Too much time with the Down to fire guns. Yes, it prevents me from getting some guns I might otherwise like but it also might just save my butt some time. Point and squeeze is much easier (no manual safety at all). Don't forget that some guns have a variant without a manual safety.

Steelheart

1 - 20 of 61 Posts