Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was watching a youtube video on safeties yesterday. The guys at Moss pawn. The Barry, the older guy, carries his Glock 19 without one in the chamber because he says it's very easy to draw, rack the slide and aim in one smooth move.

Granted the glock doesn't have an external safety and the slide is a bit easier to rack than the 709 (at least mine with only 80 rounds through it at present) but I don't see racking the slide being "easy" in a high pressure situation.

So, do you carry with one in the chamber with the safety on, one in the chamber with the safety off, None in the chamber?

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I can't see anyone winning with having to chamber a round in a situation of a mugging. So, I'm with one in the chamber safty on or off depending on where I am.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Where do you carry your 709

I've been looking at different holsters and different possibilities of where to carry. 5 o'clock, small of back, apendix, crossdraw.

Where do you carry and what do you consider the positives and negatives of the position?

I understand that holsters are, to a large extent personal preference but if you've found the perfect holster for specific positions post that too.

I've been looking at the crossbreed, white hat, N82 holsters and seriously considering the apendix or crossdraw but am open to hearing the drawbacks to those positions from people who've tried and rejected them or tried and liked them.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Bersa Thunder - one in chamber and safety on.

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
And meant to add.. If I had a 709, I would carry it with 1 in the chamber and safety on.

·
Registered
8,801 Posts
709/740/PT140MP - CC Condition one, safety on in holster that covers trigger.

Reactions: HD-Mike

·
Registered
8,801 Posts
4 O'Cllock in several style holsters depending on dress. 106 DeSantis Sof-Tuck is the favorite of all.

Reactions: TXEric

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I don't throw rock or guns. One in the chamber and safety on. If you slip racking the slide you might as well have had a rock in your hand.

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
And meant to add.. If I had a 709, I would carry it with 1 in the chamber and safety on.
Full magazine plus one in the chamber, safety ON, in a holster that covers the trigger guard.

WARNING!
Using a TRIPLE verified EMPTY weapon, PRACTICE hundreds of time drawing the weapon clicking the safety OFF. Do NOT put your finger in the trigger guard when drawing. Use the "indexing" practice where your index (trigger) finger is straight, outside the trigger guard when drawing.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Galco-tuk-n-go at 4oclock. I like having my weapon at my strong side seems to be the quickest for me. The only problem I have with a tuckable holster is clearing the shirt out of the way , its not hard just slower.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I carry in a holster store shirt tuck holster at about 2 , 2:30. Doesn't make walking or sitting uncomfortable as appendix carry sometimes does but it is still easily accessible.

·
Supporting SuperModerator
15,241 Posts
^^^^^^^yep, yep ^^^^^^^
What they said

·
Registered
549 Posts
Where do you carry your 709

3-4oclock for me. Either uncle mikes or my foxx. I don't like carrying in the back. A lot of body to clear if I have to pull it. Drawing across my back seems like a bad idea

·
Registered
549 Posts
All day. With my G2c also.

Not too long ago I was concerned about keeping it chambered. But what scares me most is having to protect my family and not being able to sufficiently. That 709, I came to terms with, is fast, light and a great carry piece. It also won't fire unless I make it. And thats why, like others have said, I practice and always am over the top about gun safety.

Carry chambered brother!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts