Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My eyes aren't all that bad, just a little far-sighted, so I don't have any trouble seeing both the gun sights and the target. However, my wife wears bifocals, and has some trouble aiming. She can see the gun sights using the bottom part of her glasses, but can't see the target well enough to aim. When she uses the top part of her glasses she can see the target but the gun sights are very, very blurry, too much so to get them lined up. Can anybody offer some advice or techniques for aiming using bifocal lenses?

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
I have trifocal and it's bothersome as well, the target is what concentrate my focus on, but it may be different for bifocals, just my 2cents

Reactions: RevolverFan

·
Registered
445 Posts
I wear trifocals and train myself to lift my head slightly to clearly view the front sight through my middle lens area.

In fact, I have a running joke with the rangemaster when shooting local matches.

Just yesterday his commands were, "Shooter load and make ready. Head up!"

He'd heard me saying "head up" out loud to myself as I prepared for the stages.

We get a good laugh out of it.

When shooting a rifle with a cheek plant, sometimes it's difficult to position my eyes in the middle of the lens.

Just takes awareness and practice.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Had the same problem as your wife. Talked to my eye doc, who also shoots, and he worked a prescription that let's me focus on the sights and the target between 3 to 15 yards. They're also bi-focals, so I use them for shooting, reading, computer work and TV.

Reactions: whodog

·
Registered
811 Posts
When our eyes get bad and they do as we age, you have two choices.
1. Get corrective surgery
2. Get a shotgun ( or a JUDGE)

If you chose option 2 ....I will take all you pistols off your hands...consider yourself spanked

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
I wear progressive trifocals like many. There is no good answer for my glasses. I can tilt my head back and see crystal clear sights and that lets me shoot handguns really well at up to 15 yards if the target center is high contrast.

For 25 yards it doesn't matter if I look through the top of my glasses or the bottom, the shooting comes out the same. 25 yards and above is about the point I really need a red dot sight or maybe a low powered scope on a handgun.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I'm not sure this is a proper technique but I have noticed when I target shoot I kind of line up my sights using the bottom lens and then the target using the upper. It seems to work but I am not sure I could convince a bad guy to hold still long enough for me to aim at him.

·
Super Moderator
21,587 Posts
I have progressive lenses and I normally use a natural point and shoot system My dad taught me I will look at the front sight if I'm target practicing but for SD I just use muscle memory and bring the gun up to nose level and go from there. I started shooting when I about 9 and have shot all my life so I have developed a way to shot COM and make it work. If I try and sight it in the right way one or the other is blurry.

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
When I went for my new eyes, I told the Doc that I shoot a pistol and need the far vision lens to focus as close as arms length.
He got that part right, but the near sight lens only works from 6 to 18 inches.
So from 18 to 24 inches I have to flop the glasses down my nose to see at that distance in focus. (which is where my monitor happens to sit.)
Anything closer than 6 inches and I have to take them off.

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts
Many have the same problem.......really it's impossible for the human eye to focus on both the sights and the target at the same time. If you think you are it's just your brain switching back and forth so fast you don't even notice it. The bifocals make even that impossible. Even if you have good vision you're supposed to focus on the front sight and let the target go blurry.

Iron sight - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/lounge/67373-glasses-yes-no.html
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/24-7-series/47506-trying-shoot-glasses.html

·
Registered
5,358 Posts
I've talked my Ophth. concerning this and what'll work w/ shooting won't with my work situation. So guess what I chose?? Lasers for my guns, except I can't find anything for my poly Judge.....

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
I have trifocal and it's bothersome as well, the target is what concentrate my focus on, but it may be different for bifocals, just my 2cents
I have a similar problem with my bifocals. I could tilt my head back and shoot through them, but that doesn't work all that well. Therefore I focus on the front sight, make sure it's on target and go from there.......

·
Registered
518 Posts
I wear bifocals also but my focus is on the sights and I aim with my PT92 and PT809 just under the center of the target, which is fuzzy of course. With the PT99 I use the Lasermax to get on target. It's a bitch getting old! :eek:

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
OK, I wear varyfocals, and I always understood that with 20:20 vision or using glasses it is the foresight that is important, focus on that. So long as the target can be seen, be it blurred (which it will be even with good vision) it doesn't matter.

Forsight, steady pressure on the trigger, and that's it.

Although it doesn't always get me a V bull, I usually hit the target.... usually....

·
Moderator in Memorium 1940-2014
13,540 Posts
I wear bifocals and once or twice when at the range I saw two targets where there should have been only one - one was above the other.
Now, I don't wear my prescription glasses at the range. Ordinary shooting glasses (I prefer the high-contrast yellow lenses) do the jub nicely.
Tell your wife she only needs to focus on the front sight.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you all for the great responses. Sounds like the consensus is to focus primarily on the front sight, with the rear sight out of focus and do your best lining up with the target. I'll pass that on, and if it doesn't work, Crimson Trace laser grips for her.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I wear progressive bi-focals and really have to concentrate to shoot with both eyes open. When I wear my contact lenses, I find my sight picture much more easily. The contacts are "multi-focal" in a concentric target arrangement rather than the horizontal split on glasses. This getting older stuff just isn't all it's cracked up to be.

·
Super Moderator
36,490 Posts
I've been wearing progressive lenses for the last twenty years, ever since I was prescribed glasses. I've been shooting IPSC with them for almost three years and really don't know how I've been sighting my PT1911 in...most probably through the middle of the lens which is for mid range (like from dashboard/computer screen to 20 feet or so). I bought a pair of Sawfly protective glasses and a prescription insert about a year ago and still haven't filled the prescription and now it has probably changed anyway since my last exam was a couple of years ago. My distance correction is for a slight astigmatism. The last three matches I have just worn the protective glass with no corrective lenses and find that I am shooting very well at 30-50 feet. I have no plans on wearing my prescription glasses again for shooting unless I have to aim at 50 feet plus.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
I'm lucky with my bifocals. I can get a good view of the front sight at the end of my arm through the upper lens and the target is not very blurry. My glasses aren't the reason for my poor shooting.

Reactions: Czechbikr

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
I wear Bifocals and just shoot like normal, then again I normally shoot at 30+ yards. I don't want any blood on me so I practice long range. :cool:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts