Taurus Firearm Forum banner

How do they stay on top.....?

7K views 55 replies 22 participants last post by  MOONDAWG 
How can Glock stay on top with their lack of innovation and unwillingness to make their product better?
if it`s not broken, don`t fix it...
Glock is before anything else a military/police weapon , and as such was designed, very durable,dependable and very simple, no safety`s or decockers or any other buttons that might confuse you when you are under the stress and adrenaline level is on super high, with the first Glock chambered in 9mm, with hi-cap mags, up to 33 rounds, Glock was made as a tool, for LEO and military.Cops like Glock`s because if they carry it with a round in chamber only thing they need to do is to pull it out and pull the trigger, and the Glock will take care of the rest.Ugly,clamsy, looks like a brick but it does what was made for, kill.
That`s why they didn`t change,they are not changing and I doubt they will change.Some small things here and there but overall Glock is perfect killing tool and it`s very good at it.

Db

first time I saw Glock was in the holster of an Austrian border police in late 80`s, I rolled down the window to gave him my passport and was stearing straight in to a something that looked more like a plastic toy than a serious weapon..oh man..was I ever wrong...

Db

texastaurusguy said:
Yes, but the 1911 is an antiquated design.....I know I know, heresy in many circles...but John Browning had moved way past the 1911 design by the time he died.....of course it still works, but I still think you have to improve on things, explore new ideas, as long as you don't tamper with the basic bread and butter of why it is so good in the first place, I think it's okay. What would it hurt to have a Glock with a safety, to make purchasers with kids feel a little better about having a gun around? Or an ambidextrious mag release and slide stop? Things get better when ideas are flowing......like the space program. It's like, okay, this works, now lets try this....ok, that didn't work, now lets try this....THAT is how products improve and companies stay on top. Just my opinion. :)
some things is better keep it simple, if they work, I think if someone wants a safety, or slide stop etc...there is planty other guns out there he can buy.As far as simplicity goes,look at the Russians, their AK47 is one of the best guns on the planet, why? it`s simple, throw it in the watter, it works, throw it in the mud, it works, there is many AK copies that are not worth nothing, like Chinese or Rumunian copies, in the Croat-Serb war `91-`95 we had a chanse to try them all, Rumenian crap is melting in fight, Russian AK`s are great and Yugo AK`s are very good also, M16 we had were jamming all the time, nobody wanted them, Russian AK`s worked no matter what you do to them.Another example of simplicity is MIR , Russian space station, it is 30 years old and it`s still the only one in orbit, because it works, it may look ugly or retarded but it works.I remeber in military driving a Russian ZIL and KRAZ trucks, they were huge and needed 100 liter`s of fuel on 100 kilometars, but, they worked, no matter how cold it got, they always start right up and run, ugly and clumsy but ..they worked.I love 1911`s too, it is an old system but they work (even tho I can`t say that for my 3 Kimbers that were jamming all the time..huh).Well, to each his own, some like guns with gadgets some like them simple, I guess, I`m one of the guys who likes to keep it simple, specialy when it comes to saving my butt , if I ever have to shoot I don`t wont to think about it and fiddle around for too long because that might get me killed, I want it to be easy and simple,and to go bang when I pull the trigger.

Glock`s main customer is Austrian goverment, they don`t do bidding and buy cheapest , they buy Glock because it`s their product.So, no matter what, Glock has a secured it`s financial future for a long time to come, even without US market they can do just fine, maybe they would have to lay off few workers or close an office or two, but bottom line is, that`s who they were made for, Austrian police and military and if there ever was a military gun, it`s a Glock.I`m not saying they wouldn`t feel the loss of US market but they wouldn`t go under neither.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.