Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Administrator
35,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading another thread about if people like their Taurus better than other brands and it got me to thinking about why I really like Taurus so much....I know their quality has really improved in the last 20 years, and their warranty is the best, but I really think if I had to describe what I like best about Taurus in one word, that word would be INNOVATIVE. I seem to remember the first compensators put onto a high power revolver (357 at that time) was done by....Taurus. Before that, you had to have holes drilled in your barrel by a gunsmith. Taurus also starting putting on a rubber grip on revolvers way before most other manufacturers, and then they came out with the Millenium pistols, which was VERY revolutionary, in that you really had to search high and low to find a smaller gun with that much power. Then, the 24/7 redefined ergonomics in handguns, in my personal opinion. Lastly, Taurus comes out of left field when everybody is gaga over pistols and gives us the Judge, which is a terrific idea for many applications. I even read in one my old Guns and Ammo mags from the early '90s a gun writer that lamented the fact that nobody had a short barreled or even revolver in .410 shotshell.....

Which leads me to my question. Glock obviously revolutionized the industry in the very early '90s with their pistol, and they did it by being different - a polymer frame. However, you can buy a Glock today, and compare it to a Glock from 1992, and they pretty much look the same - no substantial changes whatsoever. Even the baby Glocks look...cookie cutter. How can a company that changed everything be so content to stay the same? Smith and Wesson has alot of this same problem - their pistols, with the exception of the newer M&P, are easily identified a mile away. Both of these companies seem unwilling to try new things, and to change the industry.

How can Glock stay on top with their lack of innovation and unwillingness to make their product better? Sooner or later, don't the Glock loyalists have to ask for something fresh and updated?

·
Registered
212 Posts
I have to agree that people like them for their reputation as being durable & reliable. They shoot nice and are at an attractive price point. They have not change much, with the exception of adding a tac rail [it seems] a couple of years ago. Glock seems to know what they do well. I don't know if or when they will offer something original for this day of polymer pistols.

I don't know if you ride motorcycles, and it's not the best analogy....but Harley's look the same as they did 30 years ago and seem to be selling fine. It may go back to how well a product is received. Smith & Wesson just started going after that market with their XD line, designed to compete directly with Glock. It may be hard to change when people are just now trying to enter your market segment. If they see sales drop because of this competition, they may be moved to innovate.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
texastaurusguy said:
Which leads me to my question . . . How can a company that changed everything be so content to stay the same?
Bankruptcy courts are littered with the cases of companies that did not change to meet market demands. It's an old story.

I bought a Glock 17 in '91 because it was the hot new thing. I liked it, but there were things I didn't like about it, too. Fast forward 17 years and now I find myself preferring a Taurus PT145, even though I gave strong consideration to a Glock 30. I like my S/S PT145 and am confident I made the right choice. The ONLY thing I still prefer about my Glock is it is much easier to field strip. Knowing Taurus, they are working on that, too.

·
Administrator
35,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think your analogy of motorcycles is a good one - although Harleys may look a bit the same, do you think that the engine is the same as the one back 20, 30 years ago? Of course not - they have improved them tremendously, not just rested on "we're the standard, we'll just keep doing it the same way". The seats are more comfortable, the engine more efficient, the metal stronger yet lighter......many changes, probably even in the last 10 years.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
texastaurusguy said:
How can a company that changed everything be so content to stay the same? How can Glock stay on top with their lack of innovation and unwillingness to make their product better?
Glock doesn't have to change since their pistols are the most widely used and accepted in the world for the past 15 years. People that own Glocks do not want them to change---they want them to stay just the way they are...mostly reliable and extremely durable along with being very user friendly. (I can field strip my Glocks in less than 5 seconds and detail strip them in 5 minutes) I can't say that about any other pistol.

The Glocks are in rare company with 1911's, the Beretta 92 design, and the Browning Hi-Power as the 4 semi-autos that stand alone when it comes to a design that will never be changed drastically. (And none of them need to be changed IMO)

·
Registered
48 Posts
How can Glock stay on top with their lack of innovation and unwillingness to make their product better?
if it`s not broken, don`t fix it...
Glock is before anything else a military/police weapon , and as such was designed, very durable,dependable and very simple, no safety`s or decockers or any other buttons that might confuse you when you are under the stress and adrenaline level is on super high, with the first Glock chambered in 9mm, with hi-cap mags, up to 33 rounds, Glock was made as a tool, for LEO and military.Cops like Glock`s because if they carry it with a round in chamber only thing they need to do is to pull it out and pull the trigger, and the Glock will take care of the rest.Ugly,clamsy, looks like a brick but it does what was made for, kill.
That`s why they didn`t change,they are not changing and I doubt they will change.Some small things here and there but overall Glock is perfect killing tool and it`s very good at it.

Db

·
Registered
73 Posts
I agree with both of the statements here. If glock has a good thing going for it, then they should not change their current lineup of pistols. However, sooner or later they will be left in the dust due to lack of innovation. I can look at other manufacturers and they all copied glocks design plus added extra features. I personally think they should come out with a new line of pistols but still keep their current line just to stay competitive.

Although Harleys may look the same on the outside in the last 30 years, they've changed to fuel injection, evolution engines, twin cams, etc. Also, they came out with a modern hot-rod bike to keep things interesting- the v rod.

·
Registered
48 Posts
first time I saw Glock was in the holster of an Austrian border police in late 80`s, I rolled down the window to gave him my passport and was stearing straight in to a something that looked more like a plastic toy than a serious weapon..oh man..was I ever wrong...

Db

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Alot of the reasons for a few other brands being more popular is fairly simple. All of the popular big name gun makers have large contracts with Military, Law Enforcement, Security and other government agencies. Also marketing. advertising and plan old politics...

Ever notice that all the big name gun magazines rarely mention Taurus and a few other gun makers, why? Because they are being paid hefty $$$ in the magazine ads from other makers.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
well a good design is a good design is a good design..

personally i dont like glocks but speaking in general if you have a good design then it's a good design there is no need to fix whats not broken.. you can tweak it a little here and there but there is only so much you can do with a specific design before it's reached it's peak and can't be practically improved on.

look at 1911's ok so the design has been tweaked fundamentally it's still the same and it's still being made.. it's not lost it's effectiveness simply cause something else has come out or time has passed.. it's still just as good a design today as it was last century.

guns dont become obsolete.

·
Administrator
35,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes, but the 1911 is an antiquated design.....I know I know, heresy in many circles...but John Browning had moved way past the 1911 design by the time he died.....of course it still works, but I still think you have to improve on things, explore new ideas, as long as you don't tamper with the basic bread and butter of why it is so good in the first place, I think it's okay. What would it hurt to have a Glock with a safety, to make purchasers with kids feel a little better about having a gun around? Or an ambidextrious mag release and slide stop? Things get better when ideas are flowing......like the space program. It's like, okay, this works, now lets try this....ok, that didn't work, now lets try this....THAT is how products improve and companies stay on top. Just my opinion. :)

·
22,058 Posts
The 1911 design was a revolution in its time and with the military using it for so many years a lot of people were introduced to shooting with it. The Beretta 92 was a revolution in design with the double stack 9mm and became very popular with the military around the world. Same effect as many people were trained with that type pistol. The glock design again was a revolution with the polymer frame and law enforcement and federal agencies trained a lot of folks with that pistol. Many reasons for the popularity of a specific design but if you have owned a quality 1911 you would not have to ask why they stay on top. Same with Glocks and Berettas. Soon to join this group will be the S&W M&P and the 24/7 LS. JMO

·
Registered
48 Posts
texastaurusguy said:
Yes, but the 1911 is an antiquated design.....I know I know, heresy in many circles...but John Browning had moved way past the 1911 design by the time he died.....of course it still works, but I still think you have to improve on things, explore new ideas, as long as you don't tamper with the basic bread and butter of why it is so good in the first place, I think it's okay. What would it hurt to have a Glock with a safety, to make purchasers with kids feel a little better about having a gun around? Or an ambidextrious mag release and slide stop? Things get better when ideas are flowing......like the space program. It's like, okay, this works, now lets try this....ok, that didn't work, now lets try this....THAT is how products improve and companies stay on top. Just my opinion. :)
some things is better keep it simple, if they work, I think if someone wants a safety, or slide stop etc...there is planty other guns out there he can buy.As far as simplicity goes,look at the Russians, their AK47 is one of the best guns on the planet, why? it`s simple, throw it in the watter, it works, throw it in the mud, it works, there is many AK copies that are not worth nothing, like Chinese or Rumunian copies, in the Croat-Serb war `91-`95 we had a chanse to try them all, Rumenian crap is melting in fight, Russian AK`s are great and Yugo AK`s are very good also, M16 we had were jamming all the time, nobody wanted them, Russian AK`s worked no matter what you do to them.Another example of simplicity is MIR , Russian space station, it is 30 years old and it`s still the only one in orbit, because it works, it may look ugly or retarded but it works.I remeber in military driving a Russian ZIL and KRAZ trucks, they were huge and needed 100 liter`s of fuel on 100 kilometars, but, they worked, no matter how cold it got, they always start right up and run, ugly and clumsy but ..they worked.I love 1911`s too, it is an old system but they work (even tho I can`t say that for my 3 Kimbers that were jamming all the time..huh).Well, to each his own, some like guns with gadgets some like them simple, I guess, I`m one of the guys who likes to keep it simple, specialy when it comes to saving my butt , if I ever have to shoot I don`t wont to think about it and fiddle around for too long because that might get me killed, I want it to be easy and simple,and to go bang when I pull the trigger.

·
Registered
73 Posts
44M said:
Well, to each his own, some like guns with gadgets some like them simple, I guess, I`m one of the guys who likes to keep it simple
Glock could keep their simple models, and make other upgraded models to for those guy that like gadgets, and to compete with everybody else's upgraded version of glocks. I think by staying put they are missing out on a big market. Why not make a gun to compete with the berettas or make some revolvers and get a part of that market. Im not saying glock should get rid of their simplicity because obviously it works and people like it. Im just saying i think they should make other stuff too to keep up with the market.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Here's the point I was trying to make: Glock doesn't have to keep up with the market.
They are the ones on top of the market and will remain there for as long as I can see.
(Just by keeping their pistols just the way they are)

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.