Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now at 8 days into the "7 to 10 days" they quoted for shipping parts to me. How does Taurus ship parts? USPS? UPS? Miami to Philly shouldn't take a week.

·
Registered
275 Posts
tom said:
Now at 8 days into the "7 to 10 days" they quoted for shipping parts to me. How does Taurus ship parts? USPS? UPS? Miami to Philly shouldn't take a week.
Are you sure they were in stock?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Justus said:
Are you sure they were in stock?
That's what I was told. I had been waiting for over a month, checking weekly. I called on the 31st, and was told the parts had arrived and would be sent out immediately. Now I'm afraid I'm going to be told that was incorrect when I call next week.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I hope you (and me) receive parts soon.
I've been waiting since June 25th.
I was originally told the items were in stock and would be at my
door in 7-10 days.
I've called weekly since then.
On 8/7, I was told they receive 3-4 shipments per year
from Brazil and they were waiting for a batch of parts
that they ordered in April.
That means there is a 3-4 month spread between each shipment.
So it's possible that a person could wait 6-8 months for a parts order.

I really like the Taurus pistols that I have.
I really don't like being strung along.

Word of advice to anyone reading this,
Brownells and Numrich both buy bulk spare parts for Taurus.
They are the only 2 US businesses that do.
If you see that they have parts in stock, you better grab them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If I find out the parts were not actually in stock as I was told, I'm going to tell them I'm shipping the rest of the gun to them and will be expecting a prompt refund of the purchase price. If they don't like that, they can discuss it with the Florida Attorney General and Miami-Dade Consumer Protection Division.

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
This, unfortunately, is quite common in today's "on-time" delivery systems. The computer shows that the parts are in inventory, because the shipping computer told it they would be on a certain date. Don't think that the Customer Service person is actually going out into the warehouse to look, because that's not their job. Filing a complaint is your right, but it will go nowhere.

I've run across the same problems with Midway, Brownells, S&W, Sears, Best Buy, and several others. We just bought an $1100 dishwasher from Sears, a Kenmore Elite. had Sears bring it to us, and install it. One month later, the control module is defaulting to stand-by every other wash, in the middle of the cycle. I'm tired or resetting the circuit, then clearing the computer module, and starting over. We were told that this was a VERY popular model, with several in stock. To replace it, we've been waiting for them to "get one into the warehouse", maybe Monday, maybe, maybe.

Like everything else that today's modern, computer-driven systems allow, a single glitch will screw them up for months. A delay in shipping, somewhere along the line can show items in stock that actually aren't.

Good luck. Try buying a Springfiled Armory handgun in many places in America today. They show in stock, but are nowhere to be found.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Given my experiences with them so far on the phone, I highly doubt any computers are involved. Taurus Miami seems to be flying by the seat of it's pants, and processing everything manually. By the sound of it, the customer service folks are scrambling around looking through stacks of paper rather than running an inquiry into an inventory or repair tracking system.

(Around here at least, it's pretty easy to find Springfield handguns. I saw two nice Springfield 1911s at one shop today, along with a couple of XDs and XD-Ms.)

·
Administrator
35,622 Posts
Dude - you're complaining because you're in the 8th day of "7-10 days". And, keep this in mind - they usually mean BUSINESS days - so you're probably still a bit out. Even so, why don't you wait until Taurus has screwed up, before you start the barbeque? Give them a chance, they usually come through. If not, feel free to flame the Florida Attorney General and Miami-Dade Consumer Protection Division. I'm sure they will jump right on that for you......their response will probably make Taurus look like Fed Ex.

·
Super Moderator
21,792 Posts
I asked 3 different gun shops with gunsmiths on hand for a slide lock for a 1911 , I was looking for a wilson one of the best after market parts and supposedly readily available none nada nowhere know if I can't find a simple part for one of the most widely used guns in the world. And have to order and pay shipping $9.00 from Brownells for a $7.00 part That ought to give you an idea what time frame your looking at. What the computer says is there and whats there are to totally different criders That's life anywhere in any business. Drink a beer watch football opening day preseason. And relax :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If the replacement parts are really on their way from Miami, that's cool. Longer than I would have liked, but not the worst I've seen. I can accept a delay if I get straight information. I might not like it, but that's life sometimes, as you've all pointed out. But if they misled me about the parts finally being in stock and being shipped to me (along the lines of what Justus is experiencing), that's another thing.

But I'll chill out and see what they have to say later this week. The gun is really very nice and I want to be a Taurus fan. I want to be the voice that speaks out in their favor when I see folks trashing them elsewhere. I've got a ton of people who warned me away from buying a Taurus just waiting to say "I told you so". I don't want them to turn out to be right.

(I'd still like to know who they typically use for shipping.)

·
Super Moderator
21,792 Posts
There's 3890 people on this forum and that's more then a few friends that warned you most of us are vary happy and our guns And out shoot many expensive guns I had a guy shot mine against his Kimber almost in tears. I own an XD-9 and S&W 686 and oh no a Llama that is almost 30 years old that can drive tacks just to name a few, Give it a chance.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Some crow please, with a side order of fries.

Here's the update: I called today and this time it was a very different experience. The guy who answered sounded like he was really on top of things, and clearly he was looking things up in their system and not shuffling papers. He was able to confirm the parts were shipped last week, and gave me a FedEx tracking number.

They were actually shipped a couple of days after I got the "on their way, 7 to 10 days" report. I went on FedEx's tracking page, and it reported they had been
delivered on Friday. That's odd, since I didn't receive anything. 'Left at front door, no signature required'. I called home to ask the wife to double-check around the property, and if any of the neighbors had brought around any mis-delivered packages, but nothing.

So I called FedEx. Turns out they delivered to the wrong house number. They blamed Taurus, saying that was the address they were given. I called Taurus back, and they double-checked that what was in their system was the correct address. They said some error must have been made in shipping. Then they arranged to send another shipment after verifying the parts were still in stock (thankfully).

Fast forward a bit, and I arrived home. On a hunch, I checked around the nearby houses 'just in case'. After a short walk I saw a yellow bubble mailer on a doorstep down the street. Yup - there it was. It must have been sitting there all weekend. But the address on the package was correct - FedEx left it at the wrong house. Either they messed up, or the waybill was filled out with the wrong address, but the package label itself was correct.

The only slight wrinkle in this: the order was a barrel and bushing. They sent a stainless barrel (correct), but with a blued bushing. I called Taurus to alert them not to send the replacement shipment, and they will be sending out the correct stainless bushing in (you guessed it) 7-10 days. But at least I'm back in service in the meantime.

Now you guys get to say "I told you so'" :)

·
Administrator
35,622 Posts
Nah - I'm just glad you're back in action. Fed Ex can mess up just as easy as any other company.....let us know how your upcoming range visit goes.

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
Actually, FedEx seems more able to mess up gun parts, and entire guns, than others. They were the carrier for two rifles I was waiting on, and had Tracking Numbers on. I was home, waiting on them, and nothing showed up. A quick check on the computer showed that they had been delivered! Adult Signature Required.

A ride through the neighborhood found them sitting on the right street, but at the wrong number. Nobody was home, they had been left. A call to FedEx was answered with the same "must have been labeled wrong". Nope, labeled correctly, how about the bright red "Adult Signature Required"? The driver "must have missed it", right next to the address.

I sometimes wonder if regular drivers get to know who is, and isn't, at home. Leaving the packages at an address that is occupied, but vacant until later in the day, would make it fairly easy to have another person pick up anything of interest at this address. Hmmm.......long case, adult signature required, priority shipping......free gun???

It was just such theft that prompted FedEx and UPS to require a more secure level, and higher rate, for shipping firearms. They're STILL having an internal problem with theft, both of them. Doesn't say a whole lot for the companies use of part-time labor, does it?

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Believe it or not, UPS part timers are treated rather well. I worked there for 2 years while I was in college. 25 hours a week with full medical, dental, and vision benefits along with participation in the retirement plan and stock options. So, if you ask me, UPS has some fairly happy part-timers.

FedEx on the other hand----non-union. :mad:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
A little follow-up: I'm still waiting on the correct bushing. I called last Monday and was told it was shipped the previous Friday (August 22). Called again today, and got a fair amount of confusion. First they didn't know what part I was talking about. Then they said it was shipped on the 25th. I asked for a tracking number, and then they said they were wrong - nothing had actually been shipped at all. Finally I gave them the part number so they could actually send it, and they were not able to find it in their system. It shows the blued bushing, but not stainless. They agreed the number I gave them is what is on the parts diagram, but it wasn't in their ordering system. They are supposed to be checking with a supervisor and I will call them again tomorrow to try to find out what the story is. I get the feeling I'm going to be in line for another backorder.

·
Super Moderator
21,792 Posts
I agree Fed Ex is less then desirable they left a vary important signature required delivery. A check for a vary large sum of money that was supposed to be overnight. I called them and they said it was delivered and signed for.

Before I went to check the signature I went through the neighborhood and found my large envelope at a vacant house with a for sale sign out front. It did have the correct address so when I went to fed Ex they could not verify the Signature surprise surprise.

Just remember that your dealing with a Brazilian company with CS in Miami can you imagine how frustrating it is for them in Miami dealing with a third world Country and there version of shipping.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, here's what they told me: the part isn't available. Not that it isn't in stock - it isn't available and because of that, they can't backorder it. They suggest that I check back around once a month and eventually it should show up and then they'll be able to order one.

Since this is one of their most popular current production pistols, I don't find that to be a particularly acceptable answer. I'll see if I can reach someone higher up the chain who can solve this problem for me tomorrow. Obviously going through the customer service department isn't going to be enough. Someone, somewhere has access to this part, even if it means pulling it off a new pistol.

·
Registered
275 Posts
tom, you're a patient person.

"
tom said:
Well, here's what they told me: the part isn't available.........They suggest that I check back around once a month and eventually it should show up and then they'll be able to order one.
I'm speechless

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Another follow up: in my last post, I mentioned trying to reach someone higher up the chain. Taurus doesn't make that particularly easy. I did some Googling and eventually found two names which I thought might be good candidates (neither of them were Bob Morrison). Further googling found the exact Taurus email address for one of them (in a quite unlikely place, I might add), and that gave me the format to use for the other. (Nothing special here - pretty standard address format in the business world.) Last Thursday evening, I wrote them both an email describing the situation and asking them for help.

Today I called customer service to ask about the part. Again I was told the part had not yet been seen in the US, and there was no estimate of when it would be available for ordering. I was starting to be resigned to a long wait and many more periodic phone calls.

However when I got home this afternoon, I found a FedEx envelope from Taurus waiting for me. It contained the correct bushing. No note or other explanation.

I'd have to guess that the email did the trick. I guess I'm somewhat reluctant to say who I sent it to. I don't want them to be rewarded for helping by being possibly being bombarded with email.

But at least my PT1911 is finally back in proper form.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts