Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The following is taken from Heinie Sights.com http://www.heinie.com/taurus.php

• Taurus is using sights, which were designed by Richard Heinie specifically for the Taurus 24/7 Pistol. Taurus manufactures the sight under a license agreement with Richard Heinie and Heinie Specialty Products, Inc.
  • These sights are designed to be used as follows: Point of Aim Point of Impact, at 20-25 yards. In simple terms, Dead On. These are not designed to be used with a six o'clock hold.
  • Richard (Heinie) has personally tested several Taurus 24/7 Pistols in 9MM, 40S&W and 45ACP...each of these pistols have performed as stated above. If you are shooting low, be sure you are using the correct hold and that you are not pulling the pistol down during the trigger stroke.
  • Heinie Specialty Products, Inc. does not have replacement sigths for the Taurus 24/7 Pistols. At this time we do not have night sights for these pistols. If you have a problem with the Taurus 24/7 Pistol or the sights, please contact Taurus Customer Service.

The difference between a "Dead On Hold" (left) and a "6 O'Clock Hold" (right) is illustrated by this graphic. A "Dead On Hold" places the front dot on top of the object you are aiming at. A "Six O'Clock Hold" puts the front dot just under to object... in the 6 O'Clock position.

This FAQ was the product of the group effort of all the moderators of Taurus Armed.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I tried heinie.com link but ... Not Found

The requested URL /taurus.php was not found on this server.

·
Super Moderator
36,424 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
This might help too. It's right from the Heinie web site:

s8big2.JPG

·
Registered
88 Posts

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
Good suggestions! I gave up on the alignment and used the standard alignment I've always used. Nice to see I was right all along. :)

Sent using TapaTalk HD

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
We are so used to shooting with three-dot sights that we fail to remember to learn anything else. The "straight eight" is how the sights should look, like a figure eight. The top dot of the eight centers on the target, with the rear dot (lower) immediately below it.

I'm starting to hear complaints from people who get a gun with the older, all black, sights. They seem to have a problem finding the sight picture. It's shame that we're so regimented that we can't allow any changes like this.

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Note that the Heine website says "elongated eight". It is probably not going to be a perfect looking 8.

Lot of practice should help get rounds to land in the right area. After 150 rounds with my PT111, I am able to get the shots to land on the target. A vast improvement from when I started and was missing the target completely. Once it gets warm, and I have time - I plan to put another 150 rounds through it and get it worked out.

Takes time and practice.

·
Registered
88 Posts
We are so used to shooting with three-dot sights that we fail to remember to learn anything else. The "straight eight" is how the sights should look, like a figure eight. The top dot of the eight centers on the target, with the rear dot (lower) immediately below it.

I'm starting to hear complaints from people who get a gun with the older, all black, sights. They seem to have a problem finding the sight picture. It's shame that we're so regimented that we can't allow any changes like this.
I have no problem being flexible with different handgun ops. In fact, the figure eight sight is unique (at least to me), which I like.

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
That seems incorrect for me, I put dot on dot like the picture , but the bullet will hit the center of where the top dot is , not above like a 3 dot sight, or maybe my sights are just off, but i can hit bullseye everytime
Sir, that is where it should hit? At least that is what has happened with my PT111.

·
Super Moderator
36,424 Posts
That seems incorrect for me, I put dot on dot like the picture , but the bullet will hit the center of where the top dot is , not above like a 3 dot sight, or maybe my sights are just off, but i can hit bullseye everytime
You are right! The picture is on a "six o'clock" hold with Heine sights. The POI will be at the POI which is underneath the top dot on mine. In other words, you cover your intended target with the front sight dot and have the rear sight dot be the bottom of the "snowman".

·
Banned
134 Posts
Dick got the idea for those sights from seeing a set that I designed on my lw commander, back in 1980 or so. I used 2 of the front dots sold by Santiago, setting things up so taht the 2 dots look like the front and mid bead of a shotgun barrel. With just barely enough light, from a security lamp 50 yds away, at a slight angle, at night, I went prone and shot a 6" group, 5 rds at 50 yds, using these luminous sights. that's 10x the accuracy you will ever need for civilian self defense.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have been shooting for 40 years 6 o'clock and now just learning to use the "heine" sites on my PT-140 Pro and beginning to love them. My Taurus came with 'em and didn't know it until I shot my friends and realized that my dots were just dirty and couldn't see them. I bought my Taurus used, so I didn't know because it looked like standard sights. I was shooting my friends brand new PT-140 pistol even better than I could shoot mine because of the dots. So I cleaned mine and now I can drill 'em. Helps with left and right with quicker acquisitioning of the target for me. I want it on all my pistols now! JMHO

..................Twin

1 - 18 of 18 Posts