Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forgive me for my ignorance. I used the search bar and was unable to find an answer to this question. I recently purchased a PT145 from a local pawn shop(may or may not have been a good idea) but I thought the deal was good and went through with it. I have not fired it at all but I have cycled some 20 FMJs through with no FTLs and no ejection problems. After unloaded and checking the barrel in a safe direction I attempted to take the firearm apart. I got as far as getting the pin located towards the front left side under the slide out but could not figure out how to bring the slide completely off to make sure there was no metal shavings or any obstructions in the barrel. Unfortunately there was no manual with the pistol, but it did come with 2 pro mags and the stock taurus mag. Even after I finally figure out how to dismantle it I would still want to make sure it is a safe firing pistol before I chamber a round and let it go at the range. Do I need to take it to a gun smith or would a gun store be sufficient. I would like to run Hornady 200 grain XTP rounds through it for personal protection. Any advice would be beneficial. Thanks

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Welcome from Rhode Island to the most informative and friendly gun site on the web. :guns:

Here's your owner's manual.

http://www.taurususa.com/pdf/pistol_manual.pdf

If all the pieces look clean and crack-free and you get them back where they belong, you should be ok. Do you have a friend with more handgun experience?
If you go to Taurus International Manufacturing Inc and enter the serial number in the "Find my model" link at the bottom of the page, you can find out when it was built. Don't forget that Taurus guns are guaranteed for the life of the gun.

Reactions: BamaVol

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Clear the pistol, lock the slide to the rear, and rotate the slide stop 1/4 turn clockwise. Hit the slide release (the slide stop will pop out about 1/8"), relock the slide to the rear, and remove the slide stop. While holding the slide hit the release and allow the slide to go forward. Pull the trigger, and slide it all the way off. I'm not sure the manual tells you the little trick of hitting the slide release after you rotate the slide stop, but it makes it WAY easier to get it out.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Clear the pistol, lock the slide to the rear, and rotate the slide stop 1/4 turn clockwise. Hit the slide release (the slide stop will pop out about 1/8"), relock the slide to the rear, and remove the slide stop. While holding the slide hit the release and allow the slide to go forward. Pull the trigger, and slide it all the way off. I'm not sure the manual tells you the little trick of hitting the slide release after you rotate the slide stop, but it makes it WAY easier to get it out.
Very good info.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
One thing I probably should have added - on reassembly make sure you hold it with the muzzle down, and give it a little shake to get the barrel forward before you reinstall the slide stop. The barrel needs to be forward so the pin will go through the hole. JAT

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
Welcome from East Texas.

·
Super Moderator
21,440 Posts
You don't need to let the slide go all the way forward just pull it back quick after you have moved the take down pin then the pin will pop out the same distance. Then let it go forward while pulling the trigger and the slide will come off. Make sure mag is removed.

Note: racking the slide on live ammo in your home is not a good idea. Buy some snap caps and rack away.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
You don't need to let the slide go all the way foward just pull it back quick after you have moved the take down pin then the pin will pop out the same distance.
It won't go all the way forward after you've rotated the pin - the slide only moves about 1/8" forward. Your way sounds good too, though.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
I reread the original post, and I'll add this relating to whether or not it's safe to fire. Like Willboat said, check it thoroughly for cracks paying particular attention to the slide, chamber area and barrel. Most of the time if something's amiss it will be fairly obvious if you look closely. If everything looks okay, reassemble and run a function check. Rack the slide, pull the trigger and rack the slide again while holding the trigger to the rear. Let the trigger move forward until you hear a click as the disconnector resets, and pull the trigger again. You should once again hear the snap of the firing pin going forward. If that works like it's supposed to, then take it to the range, and start by only loading two rounds in the magazine. If those two fire acceptably, then load that sucker up and shoot it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts