Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How come there are drivers who, if they are first in the lane at a red light, stop one to three car lengths back from the cross walk - sometimes so far back, they don't trigger the traffic light sensors buried in the pavement? Or, if they're behind another car, stop more than a full car length behind the vehicle ahead of them? We've all seen this before, and it happened to me, again, this morning. I have never been able to even guess why people do this.

Okay, rant over.

·
Registered
14,589 Posts
I do it out of habit due to EVOC training (I have to drive medical ubers every once and awhile). Not stopping that far bat when first in lane, but I leave plenty of distance between me and the vehicle in front of me. This is due to the reasoning that if you're rear ended, you reduce the chance of being pushed into the vehicle in front of you.

·
Registered
6,320 Posts
I figure it's from the new fangled 'avoidance' systems in new cars. The car will stop itself at a certain distance and, if the driver isn't paying attention, they end up sitting a couple car lengths away from the line or the car in front of them.

Had a rental the last time that my Dad had to go to Emory for a procedure that had all the latest bells and whistles like the avoidance system and it took me 150 miles to get everything turned off so I could concentrate on driving rather than fighting the darned car.

·
Registered
4,030 Posts
There are a lot of people who have no idea that the light changes are controlled by a sensor in the pavement. You see them all the time, pulled so far forward that they will be waiting for a green light until another vehicle comes up behind them.

·
Registered
24,497 Posts
It's because I'm afraid YOU will hit in the back end and push me into the car in front of me.

Reactions: BangBang

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
How come there are drivers who, if they are first in the lane at a red light, stop one to three car lengths back from the cross walk - sometimes so far back, they don't trigger the traffic light sensors buried in the pavement? Or, if they're behind another car, stop more than a full car length behind the vehicle ahead of them? We've all seen this before, and it happened to me, again, this morning. I have never been able to even guess why people do this.

Okay, rant over.
Because, they know you are behind them, and know you will rant about them and the way they drive.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
17,571 Posts
There's good reason for staying back from the car in front of you. It allows a path of escape should it be needed, otherwise you are boxed in and a sitting duck. But if you're first in line at the light, yeah, that makes no sense.

·
Super Moderator
35,516 Posts
There's good reason for staying back from the car in front of you. It allows a path of escape should it be needed, otherwise you are boxed in and a sitting duck. But if you're first in line at the light, yeah, that makes no sense.
I was telling my wife this just a week ago. I said that even if there's a sidewalk or she has to go out into the oncoming lane, to get out and keep moving.

Reactions: WoodyUSSLUCE

·
Registered
6,320 Posts
There's staying back far enough to move around a vehicle and then there's just not paying attention.

One is a reasonable prudent precaution, the other is leaving a car length and a half or more between you and the car in front of you just because you aren't paying attention. It doesn't take 2 car lengths of room to hop the curb and go around a stopped vehicle.

·
Registered
18,476 Posts

Okay, rant over.
That's just where they happened to be when the light turned red...:dunno:...a'spos'ta' stop on red, ya' know.

Reactions: TrucksNCoffee

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
The "stop-way-back" people may have, once or twice, seen a Schenider or Swift or JBHunt pull a left turn so short that they have run the tandems up and ov4er a Subaru or Honda, or may have actually BEEN in the Subaru, themselves.

The other guy - - well, he might have once been boxed in in Chiraq or some other place of evil repute, or my, like myself and Mrs Flash, been rear-ended into the vehicle in font. Being hit while standing is bad enough, but the double impact of being rammed by an irresistable force, then abruptly stopped by an immovable object is a double whammy that has long-lasting physical effects. Your little car looks like an accordion, and you are squeezed till you emit a few truly unmusical notes, too. And legally, is nearly impossible to sort out, especially if the insurance companies involved ALL have good lawyers.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Stopping a full car length or more from the car in front of You gives You an escape route, room to maneuver in case the stuff hits the fan.
You should always be able to see the bottom of the rear tires of the car in front.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
If I'm not first in line, I'll leave enough room between my vehicle and the one in front of me to pull out and go around it.

As far as being at the front of the lane at a red light, if I'm in the inside (far left) lane, I'll crowd a little right and hold back from the line a few feet -- close enough to the line to trip the sensor, but far enough back to leave extra room for crossing traffic from the right to cut the corner when they turn left in front of me (naturally, if there's a median, it's no big deal).

If you look at the worn lane markings on the pavement from turning traffic, you can get a sense for how close some drivers will cut when they turn left. Some places it doesn't matter, some places it does.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Texting, reading, playing games on phone until the green light turns red is also something these simple minded darlings love to do. Laughed when the big gal in front of me got out of her car and beat on trunk of car in front screaming put down the damn phone a$$hole, you have sat through 2 greenlights. People blowing horns had been ignored.

·
Registered
16,850 Posts
And the internet tackles another 1st world problem...............:p

·
Registered
12,455 Posts
I never have been able to understand tailgaters either. I had a lady too close this morning that honked at me because I was turning. Had the blinker on.

·
Registered
16,494 Posts
It is not a bad idea to leave some space between cars, just so you don't get rear ended. Also to leave space in case you have to get out of a situation.
But some people take living space to extremes.

·
Super Moderator
13,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That's just where they happened to be when the light turned red...:dunno:...a'spos'ta' stop on red, ya' know.
Okay, ks. You win Best Answer Of The Thread. :Winner2:

That (plus a couple a bucks) 'll getcha a nice cuppa coffee, somewhere.

·
Registered
6,320 Posts
I never have been able to understand tailgaters either. I had a lady too close this morning that honked at me because I was turning. Had the blinker on.
At least she didn't pass you just to cut you off, slam on brakes and make a right turn in front of you.

Another favorite of mine are the folks that can't make up their mind if they want to turn or not- so they take their half out of the middle and ride half in the turn lane, half in the straight lane while they slow down so they can make up their mind.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts