Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Taurus is one of the most innovative gun makers (anyone makes more guns/models than Taurus?) but yet there's nothing in 10mm ???

Anyone else would like to see something in 10mm form Taurus?

·
Registered
790 Posts
10mm is a great round, but kind of obscure, like the .357 sig. Probably not enough demand to warrant developement and production costs for a new product.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
What is the OAL of the 10mm compared with the .45 ACP?

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
How come no .357 sig??? This is why I don't own a Taurus semi....

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What is the OAL of the 10mm compared with the .45 ACP?
not sure exactly but I think it's pretty close...it's kinda like 9mm and .40 they both use the same frame.

didin't know they don't make .357sig (not a fan), but they do make a .38super which is kinda opsolite/obsolete as well...I wish they made a PT1911 in 10mm... I'd get one in a heartbeat! :)

·
Administrator
17,915 Posts
If they can make a .38 Super version of the PT945, they can make a 10mm version, easily!

·
Registered
15,002 Posts
I believe Cimarron was asking about the OAL of the 10mm compared to the .45.
I cannot really answer that comparison. But I do know that the projectiles for the
10mm are exactly the same as the .40 caliber.

The 10mm cartridge carries a bit more powder than the .40; the shell casing is a
bit longer. This may not be a good terminology, but I would almost consider the 10mm to
be somewhat like a .40 magnum. That's not accurate, but close.

·
Administrator
17,915 Posts
At one time there was a .400 Corbon (.45 ACP case necked down to .40) version of the PT945. Very shortlived and rare. I believe that the platform/frame may not have been up to the stress. Perhaps the PT1911 and .45 PT24/7 will be adapted to 10mm later on.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I believe the reason that Taurus doesn't offer a 10mm is because of what's been mentioned all ready....economics.

If a company's market analysis indicates that the demand for a particular caliber won't justify the cost of production, then it doesn't get produced....pure and simple.

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
If Taurus ever does offer a PT1911 in 10mm or another offering in the same, I think Gray_Wolf and I will be the first two in line. :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Cartridge max overall length for 10mm is 1.260 the same as 45acp. SAAMI pressure level however is 37,500 cup compared to 17,000 cup more than doubled. The 10mm case is very strong and designed from the ground up to handle over 40,000 lbs of pressure. The Colt Delta Elite is a much beefed up 1911 built to handle the pressure of the big ten.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Especially if they could build a medium framed version, like to PT Series. It would be a great CCW. The only thing close is a EAA Witness Compact and it is has serious slide and frame cracking problems.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Gray_Wolf said:
not sure exactly but I think it's pretty close...it's kinda like 9mm and .40 they both use the same frame.

didin't know they don't make .357sig (not a fan), but they do make a .38super which is kinda opsolite/obsolete as well...I wish they made a PT1911 in 10mm... I'd get one in a heartbeat! :)
Super 38s are only obsolete in the US. I believe there is still a sizeable market for them abroad because of legal restrictions on ammunition. If there is a "no military ammo" law, super 38 is still legal but .45 acp and 9mmP is not.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm no small arms structural engineer, but I don't think a frame that is suitable for the 9mm (or 40 S&W) can long withstand the pressures generated by the full-up 10mm. The better bet would be a frame suitable to the .45 ACP (as you find with all 10mm pistols that are either currently available, or have ever been put on the market) such as the PT1911.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I'd be in line for a Taurus 10mm. If I could have found a Glock 29 with a key lock I would have bought that instead of the PT145.

I have always loved the round. I 'd like to see Taurus make it in a 1911 version too.

·
Registered
23 Posts
TitaniumMan said:
How come no .357 sig??? This is why I don't own a Taurus semi....
They don't any longer, but they did make one. It's a PT957, great gun and great round. I use it for my main CC piece. Any body who doesn't like .357sig just doesn't understand. Come to the darkside.

·
Banned
652 Posts
10mm is a great cartridge, but something of a problem child during it's development. Even Colt had problems with their Delta Elite with cracked frames, etc., after 1000 rounds or so. Demand is so small for it, Taurus just doesn't want to get involved with the headaches of designing a pistol around it, I would guess.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts