Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
17,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's some really insane cruise deals out there. $25 a night are flophouse rates. I see 11 days for $300.

Attachments

·
Banned
1,582 Posts
No. Even before this mess, still no. Mrs. Deere suffers from claustrophobia and motion sickness. I simply don't like people very much.
And them dang boats are just floating incubators.

·
Super Moderator
13,773 Posts
Nope. Mrs. TNC and I both agreed, long ago, that we never want to get on a cruise ship, and that was well before the current Petri dish crisis. She even said that if she were to win a cruise on Wheel of Fortune (she loves that game, and she's pretty good at it, too) she'd ask for a cash buyback instead of getting on the boat.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
I went on a cruise in 66 when I graduated from high school. I thought it was cool......nearly 4 years later I was an engineer on a steam ship. Over the next 4 years or so....I got it out of my system- completely. No way I'll get on a ship today- corona virus or not.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
We went on a Mexican Rivera cruise 15 years ago and LOVED it.
I wouldn't go on one right now though. Just an unnecessary risk I'm not interested in taking. Not the risk of catching coronavirus. The risk of ending up quarantined in some 3rd world country OR on a ship. No thank you very much...

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
My father and I did a cruise to Alaska about 10 years ago. One of the best trips I've ever had and we reminisce about it fairly often. It was the Norwegian line on the Pearl. Great ship. I think it had 11 different restaurants on it, and with our week long trip we never did hit all of them. Had a great room with a balcony high up. Had what seemed like our own staff, because every time we turned around they were there asking what they could do for us. Saw some great sights, incredible glaciers. Did a few excursions like fishing for King Salmon and Halibut, a beer tour, a ride on the Yukon Express up into Canada. Some really fun shows on the ship as well, bowling alley, cigar bars, movie theater. Great night life too with a number of clubs if you're into that kind of thing. We were pretty tuckered out by the end of a long day though, and mostly avoided that kind of thing in lieu of a show or having some night caps and cigars on our balcony after dinner. All in all, I can't recommend the experience enough. However, that is provided you can be promised a good one, which you can't. Illnesses on what is in essence a floating petri dish, mechanical failures, rogue waves, rough seas, collisions, fires, have all ruined the experience for many looking for a good time and spending some hard earned dollars.

My ex wife was a cruise fanatic. We did all the islands and numerous parts of Mexico over the course of a few years. I still tell everyone the best jerk chicken (or chicken at all for that matter) was when I told my cab driver when we made port in Jamaica to take me to where I could get the best jerk chicken on the island. He did, way off the beaten path to the point I thought we were being setup. One giant roadside diner/chicken coop on the side of a road you couldn't find if your life depended on it. My mouth waters just thinking about it.

·
Registered
6,337 Posts
Being crammed cheek to jowl into a floating shoe box with a bunch of strangers and herded from tourist trap to tourist trap under the threat of being stranded in a foreign country with no way home isn't my idea of a vacation.

Reactions: brojohn

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
I used to think I would like to try a cruise but these days I think I'll stay with land cruising.

·
Supporting Moderator
14,829 Posts
There is a pretty fine line between being Brave and being Stupid.

Reactions: brojohn

·
Registered
13,853 Posts
The wife and I talked about it before all the super germs arrived. Our final answer was NO. And then we took a different direction once again and purchased our highway Cruiser motorhome, where we live, sleep, eat and relax in our own germs.

·
Super Moderator
35,540 Posts
No. Even before this mess, still no. Mrs. Deere suffers from claustrophobia and motion sickness. I simply don't like people very much.
And them dang boats are just floating incubators.
My wife absolutely won't take a cruise vacation, although I have been intrigued with them. The people who are hooked won't take any other kind of vacation.

Nope. Mrs. TNC and I both agreed, long ago, that we never want to get on a cruise ship, and that was well before the current Petri dish crisis. She even said that if she were to win a cruise on Wheel of Fortune (she loves that game, and she's pretty good at it, too) she'd ask for a cash buyback instead of getting on the boat.
How many times have we heard of Norovirus on a cruise ship where a large percentage of the passengers are running from both ends? I find the sheer size of those ships amazing however, but also remember that they can sink to the bottom regardless.

Air travel is running some great sales now however. If someone wanted to take a vacation, this is the time to book.

Reactions: Doctordeere

·
Banned
1,582 Posts
My wife absolutely won't take a cruise vacation, although I have been intrigued with them. The people who are hooked won't take any other kind of vacation.

How many times have we heard of Norovirus on a cruise ship where a large percentage of the passengers are running from both ends? I find the sheer size of those ships amazing however, but also remember that they can sink to the bottom regardless.

Air travel is running some great sales now however. If someone wanted to take a vacation, this is the time to book.
I'm 6'7" @ 300. We last flew from ATL to Vegas, five hours crammed in that tin can. I couldn't stand up straight for two days. Mrs Deere wants to go to Ireland. Told her if they'd let me stretch out in the cargo hold I might consider.

·
Administrator
35,116 Posts
My father and I did a cruise to Alaska about 10 years ago. One of the best trips I've ever had and we reminisce about it fairly often. It was the Norwegian line on the Pearl. Great ship. I think it had 11 different restaurants on it, and with our week long trip we never did hit all of them. Had a great room with a balcony high up. Had what seemed like our own staff, because every time we turned around they were there asking what they could do for us. Saw some great sights, incredible glaciers. Did a few excursions like fishing for King Salmon and Halibut, a beer tour, a ride on the Yukon Express up into Canada. Some really fun shows on the ship as well, bowling alley, cigar bars, movie theater. Great night life too with a number of clubs if you're into that kind of thing. We were pretty tuckered out by the end of a long day though, and mostly avoided that kind of thing in lieu of a show or having some night caps and cigars on our balcony after dinner. All in all, I can't recommend the experience enough. However, that is provided you can be promised a good one, which you can't. Illnesses on what is in essence a floating petri dish, mechanical failures, rogue waves, rough seas, collisions, fires, have all ruined the experience for many looking for a good time and spending some hard earned dollars.

My ex wife was a cruise fanatic. We did all the islands and numerous parts of Mexico over the course of a few years. I still tell everyone the best jerk chicken (or chicken at all for that matter) was when I told my cab driver when we made port in Jamaica to take me to where I could get the best jerk chicken on the island. He did, way off the beaten path to the point I thought we were being setup. One giant roadside diner/chicken coop on the side of a road you couldn't find if your life depended on it. My mouth waters just thinking about it.
Went on a cruise last year with the wife, it was a fun time but it was a real party ship, I'd have been more comfortable with a bunch of reloaders or gun enthusiasts :D I'd go again but not right now. Those are good prices though.

Quite a few years ago I was in Jamaica and had some of the jerk beef they sold on the roadside. It was really good but I couldn't help noticing that there are no stray dogs or cats in the country....if that's where they got the meat though, then they gave their lives for a good cause. :zzz:

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
After three West-Pac cruises on aircraft carriers with Club-Fed, I have no desires to go to sea again.
Mrs. Driver was beginning to hint that she wanted to go on a cruise, but this Corona-virus fiasco has put an end to that.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
I took Mr Flash to Atlantic city a few decades ago, and she said she never wanted to get more than three feet from terra firma again. So it has been since 1970.

One of our daughters and her husband "won" a ten-day Caribbean cruise a decade or so ago, and she said it turned out to be a "ten-day booze game" whose object was to keep you drunk enough that you didn't mind all the little annoyances, the cold food, the poor service, the terrible manner of the other "guests"and the three-day hangover that was getting rid of your sealegs. The bar-bill (and they didn't drink very much at all) was almost the equal of what tickets would have cost.

So we too bought a land-yacht and roved the interstates for a few years.Even with Mother-in-law along, it wasn't too bad because I had the four terriers for company. Mrs. Flash and her Mother took some strange side excursions while the woofers and I kept company in the kitchen, chasing geese at Fort Niagra, dabbing with the ducks on the Chesapeake, and so forth.

If I really wanted to go to sea, I'd probably find a junky old Greek freighter and go a supernumerary. But like Mrs. Flash, I can't swim more than a mile so maybe I'll just stay here, on the pavement somewhere north of the MASON/DIXON, between the Delaware and Allegheny.

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
Been on 8-month cruises to exotic locations with 6,000 of my closest friends.

Don't imagine a cruise would be much fun if they wouldn't give me weapons release authority.

·
Registered
31,697 Posts
My wife and I really like cruises. We have cruised down the Alleghany, Rio Grand (along the border in Canoes and just below Taos in Rafts), The Arkansas between Salida and Canon City in inflatable kayaks (a really neat river with plenty of rapids, the Colorado and the Green Rivers. I've always enjoyed those kind of cruises.

The only real cruise I have wanted to go on are the Alaskan cruises.

Reactions: Czechbikr

·
Registered
16,860 Posts
People happily eat food off the carts in the aisles of Costco and live.
A cruise? I scoff at a cruise.
scoff scoff---------------------------cruise

Reactions: 777Driver
1 - 20 of 21 Posts