Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first time taking my PT1911 to the range, shot more or less 150 rounds through it, obviously not all on this target. All of these shots were from down range, each bleeding target had two clips shot at it, all from 25 yards. All you pros out there, how bad am I? Any tips to help a novice shooter improve, if you'll notice most of my groupings were of to the left, which means I was pulling the whole gun when pulling the trigger, correct?

Tips, comments, opinions welcome.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Hard to say without know exactly how you were shooting (stance or bench rest), or what the goal of your practice was (speed and/or accuracy). You might find your answer by asking yourself, are you happy with your accuracy? My wife would be thrilled with targets that look like yours.

You are doing fine. If you enjoy practicing (who doesn't) then keep it up and work towards a result that makes you happy. That's all that really matters. You will find your goals will change with experience.

For years my goal was off-handed accuracy. Speed wasn't a consideration. I only competed against myself. I never really thought of myself as a "good shot." A few months ago I went shooting for the first time with a LEO friend. He kept going on and on about how well I shot. I had to remind him I was shooting at something that couldn't shoot back at me and that I had no doubt he would out shoot me if the target had its own gun. In other words, it is all relative.

Since I received my CCW, my goal is speed with reasonable accuracy. I'm having fun, I'm pleased with how I am doing and I'm getting better. That's all that counts.

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
hey vegasguy,I hope your wife don't see this.lol I am no pro but they dont seem bad to me.with a little more practice you will be fine.BUT those sure are some big ole holes. :D :D :D

·
Registered
377 Posts
Hey 25 yards is 75 feet. That aint too bad. My recommendations would be start at a closer range, say 7 yards, do well, and move to 10 yards, do well, and so on. You will do better and feel better. IMHO ;)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies everyone, I was shooting stance. The goal was to become familiar with my new gun. Basically a balance of speed and accuracy.

·
Registered
184 Posts
With my eyes I'm lucky to hit the target at 25 yards which is why I stick to the 10 yard target. Hard to focus on the sights and target at the same time. That is for me! If I was only 30 again.

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
Certainly respectable groupings IMO. :) Keep up the good work.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Good shooting. I wish I could shoot that good again at 25yds. But my old eyes just can not focus like they use to. Some times I believe youth is wasted on the young. :D Still nothing to be ashamed of.

·
Registered
162 Posts
rdoggsilva said:
Good shooting. I wish I could shoot that good again at 25yds. But my old eyes just can not focus like they use to. Some times I believe youth is wasted on the young. :D Still nothing to be ashamed of.
I just wish they would quit making pistols with blurry front sights.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
greener said:
I just wish they would quit making pistols with blurry front sights.
Yeah, they don't make like they used to in the good ol' days. :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts