Taurus Firearm Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
796 Posts
Okay here's the story from the NY Post, a right-leaning paper in NYC which I love to read because they are always on Democratic scandals in NYS of which there are many. Before everyone destroys the cop, you should know that he was a 12 yr vet of Nassau County PD, after 7 years with NYPD. He apparently has won a big award for his service in the past (some kind of medal of honor).

The burning question I have is: how did this pos career thug perp pass the background check for a pistol in NY?? (he asks, dripping with sarcasm). Let's see what Chuck Schumer and co would do about THAT! Anyway, the entire story borders on bizarre and I urge my friends here to read it and then judge.

EXCLUSIVE: Hofstra victim's twin sister's boyfriend recounts horrifying experience of being held hostage by LI parolee Dalton Smith - NYPOST.com

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
The only reason you think that LEOs are the worst shots on the planet is because the LEOs are under so much scrutiny that you hear about it. I can only imagine how many innocent civilians our soldiers kill in a crossfire. Not disrespecting our soldiers but just saying let's be fair about this.
In my little area of Vietnam there was not one civilian killed in a crossfire the entire time I was there but of course I can only relate my personal experience.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I find it hard to compare a police action with soldiers in combat.

Is there some collateral damage in a combat zone. Of course , and that's doubly so when the enemy are cowards who intentionally hide amongst civilians. Right now, IIRC in Afganistan they are not allowed to fire unless fired upon 1st, in order to keep the possible civilian death rate down. Even if they are 99.9% sure they have a BG in their sights, they can't shoot, unless the BG shoots first.

The only reason you think that LEOs are the worst shots on the planet is because the LEOs are under so much scrutiny that you hear about it. I can only imagine how many innocent civilians our soldiers kill in a crossfire. Not disrespecting our soldiers but just saying let's be fair about this.

·
Administrator
40,646 Posts
How many here would allow a badguy, that desperately wants out of a situation, to point a firearm at them, then wait to see if he shoots you or not? Police officers have the same self preservation instinct as everyone else, and to return home every day.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
This illustrates the great responsibility that everyone who carries a gun bears. I agree with Smoke on this one.

Every LEO I have known has said when you carry a gun you pray that you will not have to use it, but you must make up your mind before hand that if the need arises that you will shoot without hesitation or more than likely be shot yourself.

There is no winners, only varying degrees of losers in a shooting scenario, even if you make a good shoot you still have to live with it. Most LEO's will tell you that shooting a BG has caused many cops to leave law enforcement.

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
The fact that the suspect, holding a hostage, was moving through the house isn't indicative of anything, but that he was moving. Obviously, nobody witnessed the initial barrage of shots, so we haven't a clue as to what prompted them. SHOULD the officer have enabled the suspect, with a hostage, to exit the house before a perimeter was established? WOULDN'T that have opened up the residents to the suspects taking even MORE hostages? Perhaps, in the interest of the suspect, the police should have allowed him to escape with his hostage? Surely, he would have released her unharmed, right? Been watching too much TV, have we?

We keep looking at the officer. Yet, what about the man who invaded the house? Who took a hostage? Who was demanding money, goods, and jewelry? HE had an illegal gun. HE intended to, at the least, portray himself as a killer. At any point HE could have surrendered. WHY focus on the police officer so totally? BAD things happen to good people, no matter what the Left tells you.

Reactions: KLo

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Tough situation, no good answers but the police shooting review board and other analysts owe it to the department and the public to try and come up with policies that minimize these kind of tragedies.

No one here is trying to hang the officer out to dry...just trying to reduce these kinds of fatalities in the future.

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
Then we shouldn't make assumptions as to what happened BEFORE those reports are issued, right? Even the boyfriend who was with the hostage took cover before those last minutes. All we know for sure is that she is dead by the officers gun. It may well have been that something prompted the officer to fire more quickly than the felon was doing. The woman may have wrenched herself free, and put herself in the path of incoming fire inadvertently. Once a bullet leaves the barrel, it's totally on it's own. The officer HIT seven out of eight shots aimed at the felon. That is excellent shooting. Until we have factual evidence that the shot was mis-aimed, and not actually headed into the felon when intercepted by the hostage, we need to leave the conclusions OUT of this thread. :)

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
I would not be quick to throw the officer under the bus in his situation. If the criminal pointed his gun at me i would have shot him. should have beeen 2 quick shots not 8 so something went wrong somewhere. i could not save any one if i am dead or wounded.also there was no other info to provide at what point in conflict she was shot. This was very sad but i think more training should be provided for this by NY i shoot 1dpa and we have this situation in every idpa event
jhp

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Very sad. RIP young lady, you will be missed...

21 - 30 of 30 Posts