·
Super Moderator
13,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reactions: tazelmo

·
Registered
5,498 Posts
For now all I will say is Rest In Peace and my deepest sympathies to the family.

·
Registered
24,845 Posts
So sad.

·
Super Moderator
40,638 Posts
Very sad situation. I fell for all involved.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
This is a classic reason why you don't "take the shot" in a hostage situation. Hollywood makes it look so simple, but reality doesn't work that way. My prayers for both the family and the officer involved. They lost a daughter, and he will have to live with the fact it was his bullet that killed her.

Reactions: Lil Beaver and BW64

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Well if the dirtbag lived I'd think that he'd have a murder charge added to his charges. This is a sad ending to the story and demonstration of the havoc that a career criminal can bring into the world.

Reactions: Rossi

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Sad!!! Shooting a perp with a hostage is not advised unless absolutely necessary. How about a taser!! If he fired 8 times his mag was illegal. Only allowed 7 in NY!!!

BW

·
Registered
29 Posts
Very sad situation for the girl, her family and for the police officer.that will have to live with what happened.Its gotta be hard

·
Registered
19,167 Posts
Such a great loss for her family. May she rest in peace..

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Well, I guess this will be a case study in the police academy training programs. Very sad for the family...less sympathy for the police officer.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Unless someone presents some more evidence, I tend to agree. A normal police officer, nor a CCL citizen, should shoot in that situation. Almost the only outcome will be bad.

The only people I would trust shooting in that situation are fully trained and experience snipers.

Well, I guess this will be a case study in the police academy training programs. Very sad for the family...less sympathy for the police officer.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
The boyfriend of one of the girls left the front door unlocked and thru the door the criminal got into the home. Lock your doors folks, the crooks can follow you right into your home.

·
Registered
589 Posts
IMO, only professionally trained and experienced snipers are equipped to take that shot. Certainly not normal civilians, and certainly not police officers. More and more evidence is surfacing that police officers are among the poorest shots on earth.

This officer fires off 8 rounds, hitting w/ 7 and killing the bad guy (a good thing) and hitting w/1 and killing the hostage ( a very, very bad thing).

Then there those idiot NYC cops who shot up a city block, wounding the BG, and also wounding numerous innocent bystanders.

Plus those officers connected with the hunt for the rogue former ex cop, who put 100 bullets in a truck two women were in (guess the cops thought it BG was alone in the turck) Fortunately they couldn't shoot straight, and only wounded the two women.

This is a classic reason why you don't "take the shot" in a hostage situation. Hollywood makes it look so simple, but reality doesn't work that way. My prayers for both the family and the officer involved. They lost a daughter, and he will have to live with the fact it was his bullet that killed her.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Very sad story!

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
Unless someone here has some facts that aren't mentioned, we aren't qualified to pass judgement on the incident. We KNOW that the man had taken a hostage. We know that he was threatening to kill her, and the officer. We KNOW that the officer fired Eight rounds, hitting the perp with seven. We KNOW that ONE of those eight rounds hit, and killed, the hostage. That is IT.

We DON"T know what actually occurred. We DON'T know what prompted the officer to open fire. It COULD have been the perp's actions. We DON'T know when, or why, the hostage was hit. We DON'T know if SHE put herself in the line of fire trying to escape. We DON'T know if the perp drew her into the line of fire, either. ALL of this occurred in a matter of just a second, or so. Trying to second-guess what actually happened is an exercise in stupidity. How about we stop acting like Obama, Feinstein, and Biden, and wait until information is made accessible as to the what, when, and why of the incident.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Sad, just sad

·
Registered
208 Posts
Unless someone here has some facts that aren't mentioned, we aren't qualified to pass judgement on the incident. We KNOW that the man had taken a hostage. We know that he was threatening to kill her, and the officer. We KNOW that the officer fired Eight rounds, hitting the perp with seven. We KNOW that ONE of those eight rounds hit, and killed, the hostage. That is IT.

We DON"T know what actually occurred. We DON'T know what prompted the officer to open fire. It COULD have been the perp's actions. We DON'T know when, or why, the hostage was hit. We DON'T know if SHE put herself in the line of fire trying to escape. We DON'T know if the perp drew her into the line of fire, either. ALL of this occurred in a matter of just a second, or so. Trying to second-guess what actually happened is an exercise in stupidity. How about we stop acting like Obama, Feinstein, and Biden, and wait until information is made accessible as to the what, when, and why of the incident.
Excellent point.

·
Registered
208 Posts
IMO, only professionally trained and experienced snipers are equipped to take that shot. Certainly not normal civilians, and certainly not police officers. More and more evidence is surfacing that police officers are among the poorest shots on earth.

This officer fires off 8 rounds, hitting w/ 7 and killing the bad guy (a good thing) and hitting w/1 and killing the hostage ( a very, very bad thing).

Then there those idiot NYC cops who shot up a city block, wounding the BG, and also wounding numerous innocent bystanders.

Plus those officers connected with the hunt for the rogue former ex cop, who put 100 bullets in a truck two women were in (guess the cops thought it BG was alone in the turck) Fortunately they couldn't shoot straight, and only wounded the two women.
The only reason you think that LEOs are the worst shots on the planet is because the LEOs are under so much scrutiny that you hear about it. I can only imagine how many innocent civilians our soldiers kill in a crossfire. Not disrespecting our soldiers but just saying let's be fair about this.

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Subject to revision if more pertinent information becomes available.

JR, if I read it right the BG was backing away when he pointed the gun at the officer. Why didn't the officer simply decide to move out of the way and let the
BG proceed? I think this is the beginning of a full examination of options. Yes, it is second guessing but that's what we do when we try and learn from our experiences. This will wind up in Court with the family suing the police department for wrongful death and whatever else is involved.

I would bet a Pizza that the cop, formerly of the NYCPD took the job in Nassau County - which is an upscale community - because he thought it would be less stressful than working in NYC.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts