Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had my PT111 Millennium out to the range today to attempt to set my zero and the accuracy was HORRIBLE, not only was it shooting so far low and to the left that I maxed out my sight adjustments and still couldn’t get it on target but the group size was more like a shotgun pattern, I was shooting at about 10 yards but my “group” was about a foot across (I even noticed sparks from rounds skipping off the floor) The “zero” seemed to wander too, I couldn’t even get my laser adjusted to it, it was all over the damn place. I eventually said screw it and just switched to my CZ (shot dead on). What is wrong with this thing? Would Taurus service it under warranty?

Lest anyone think I’m exaggerating, here are my “groups,” and this is WITH attempting to get it to zero...

65E2F2AA-E1E0-4699-8B44-D7DFCC7E4B5A.jpeg
C5F7A129-D884-4DD7-A316-E75AA8931E45.jpeg

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I have a s&w VE that will do this if you're not careful. A long heavy trigger pull is what I'm seeing. Have some else shoot it that has shot a long heavy striker fire. The VE i have is my trainer pistol now. If you can hit anything with it, you are not moving the gun during the long, heavy pull that breaks unclean and not anticipating recoil. If its not taking you four seconds to pull the trigger I would say you're moving at trigger break. Focus on the fount sight not to move and pull that trigger slow as molasses. Let someone else shoot it.
Look at the chart. That Shotgun pattern screams heavy trigger/snap shooting.

Attachments

·
17,565 Posts
Questions:

1. What's the ammo?
2. Has the gun shot well before?

The PT 111 Millennium is discontinued and under warranty replacement. If you send it in it will be replaced with a G2.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Questions:

1. What's the ammo?
2. Has the gun shot well before?

The PT 111 Millennium is discontinued and under warranty replacement. If you send it in it will be replaced with a G2.
115 Grain Wolf, Ammo selection is somewhat limited these days, I’m having to resort to using my blasting/training ammo stock, cheapest 9mm available for order right now seems to be about 50 cent per round frangible.

No, this is the first time this pistol has been to the range.

I’ve nothing against the G2 and almost got one at the time and in truth would actually prefer it over the PT111 Millennium due to the lack of the silly lock however what pushed me to the Millennium was that it was still covered by the old lifetime warranty vs the current limited warranty. Would a warranty replacement still retain the original lifetime warranty?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a s&w VE that will do this if you're not careful. A long heavy trigger pull is what I'm seeing. Have some else shoot it that has shot a long heavy striker fire. The VE i have is my trainer pistol now. If you can hit anything with it, you are not moving the gun during the long, heavy pull that breaks unclean and not anticipating recoil. If its not taking you four seconds to pull the trigger I would say you're moving at trigger break. Focus on the fount sight not to move and pull that trigger slow as molasses. Let someone else shoot it.
Look at the chart. That Shotgun pattern screams heavy trigger/snapshooting.
I ironically almost brought up that same model for a comparison as that is the only other model pistol I have had this kind of issue with, a Smith & Wesson 40ve. That one was even worse though, same shotgun like pattern at 10 yards but it was shooting about 3 feet low, I had to actually practically aim at the ceiling to get the rounds on target.

The thought did occur to me though, and I did find that trigger bothersome but I was, or at least thought I was, being very gentle with the trigger.

·
Administrator
35,111 Posts
You really need to run some different brands of ammo through it before you declare it broken. Comparing it to other guns is a waste of time, because every gun is pretty unique in how it handles different brands of ammunition.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
I would send it back, and have Taurus replace it with a G2C.

You say you want to keep the lifetime warranty, and a replacement G2C will probably come with a standard warranty.
But what good is a lifetime warranty on a PT-111 Millennium if you can't send it in? That's no warranty at all!

Sooner or later you'll have to send it in, and when you do, Taurus will replace it with a G2C.
You might as well do it now, and get a gun you can shoot well.
The G2C is a great gun, even with its standard warranty.

Either that, or pack it away and only bring it out to show people an antique relic that has been discontinued.
When they ask, "Did it shoot well?", you can say, "No".

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would send it back, and have Taurus replace it with a G2C.

You say you want to keep the lifetime warranty, and a replacement G2C will probably come with a standard warranty.
But what good is a lifetime warranty on a PT-111 Millennium if you can't send it in? That's no warranty at all!

Sooner or later you'll have to send it in, and when you do, Taurus will replace it with a G2C.
You might as well do it now, and get a gun you can shoot well.
The G2C is a great gun, even with its standard warranty.

Either that, or pack it away and only bring it out to show people an antique relic that has been discontinued.
When they ask, "Did it shoot well?", you can say, "No".
I just called Taurus, they claim that everything has a lifetime warranty which I know is not true. They also say that warranty service is a 12 week turn around so that is not an option, I refuse to wait 3 months, I’d sooner just replace it than put up with lousy service like that.

·
17,565 Posts
No, to my understanding there is a limited lifetime warranty on all Taurus products. I think you may be confusing terms. Why not replace it and wait on the warranty service? Then sell it.

·
17,565 Posts

·
Administrator
35,111 Posts
I just called Taurus, they claim that everything has a lifetime warranty which I know is not true. They also say that warranty service is a 12 week turn around so that is not an option, I refuse to wait 3 months, I’d sooner just replace it than put up with lousy service like that.
Then you've painted yourself into a corner. If you put up conditions on getting it repaired, then you are standing in your own way of fixing your problem.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I ironically almost brought up that same model for a comparison as that is the only other model pistol I have had this kind of issue with, a Smith & Wesson 40ve. That one was even worse though, same shotgun like pattern at 10 yards but it was shooting about 3 feet low, I had to actually practically aim at the ceiling to get the rounds on target.

The thought did occur to me though, and I did find that trigger bothersome but I was, or at least thought I was, being very gentle with the trigger.
40VE , yea that's what i have. I can hit with it now. When i first got it i tried o shoot it like a hammer fired. You can't do that. You have shoot it like an unstable one legged chair. But like i posted before, its a good trainer as you have to really concentrate on not moving. I will not use it for SD. I have seen videos of police in fire fights and see the rounds hitting the pavement as rapid snap fire breaks the wrist and rounds go low. Once you train to use it, its not as bad. To much work and i don't think bad guy will hold still while you pull the trigger slow, steady and deliberate to keep lead on target. Give me my single action hair trigger cock and lock or revolver.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
In regards to the S&W 40 VE - - find you a guy who has had a lot of experience in shooting a revolver DA ONLY. Let him test the long, heavy trigger for you.

There is a world of difference between the long, striker-fired pistols (S&W) and everything else on the market. The trigger pull on the S&W is generally heavy, some come in around TWELVE pounds. Is your Taurus 111 anywhere near that? Probably no comparison.

As for your 111, that certainly is strange to be that far off and that much spread. Have you had it apart for careful examination?

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Try better quality ammo and in a different weights (124 gr and 147 gr). If that makes little to no difference send it to Taurus Service or sell it.

i get rid of bad weapons in a flash!

·
Registered
36,017 Posts
Look at the chart. That Shotgun pattern screams heavy trigger/snap shooting.
ahh yea i am on board with this!
I assume that you are right handed and so low and left is a pretty common problem with trigger control in a right hander.
I would also say that at 10 yards really any factory ammo should print reasonbally accurate fi the shooter does their part.
to compare a taurus DA/SA semi auto to a CZ and you gonna come up short everytime i do believe, I got several Taurus semi autoes of that design and trust me none are exactly tack drivers, especially if you don't pay really close attention to your trigger pull.

·
Registered
36,017 Posts
. They also say that warranty service is a 12 week turn around so that is not an option, I refuse to wait 3 months, I’d sooner just replace it than put up with lousy service like that.

replace it with one of these and i bet that nasty accuracy problem gets better!---GriiiN>

Attachments

Reactions: RalphG2

·
Super Moderator
35,500 Posts

The recalled pistols, of which the PT 111 Millennium is one, have an "enhanced" lifetime warranty for any owner...new or used. It is part of the lawsuit settlement. They will send you a label, on their dime, and replace your gun with a new PT 111 G2C which should carry a lifetime warranty to you as the original owner. Check with them about the warranty.

They might beat three months or not. I waited 15 months for my PT 111 G2 SS that replaced my PT 145 SS. You original magazines might fit the new pistol.

A gun that shoots accurately beats one that doesn't every time.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
The recalled pistols, of which the PT 111 Millennium is one, have an "enhanced" lifetime warranty for any owner...new or used. It is part of the lawsuit settlement. They will send you a label, on their dime, and replace your gun with a new PT 111 G2C which should carry a lifetime warranty to you as the original owner. Check with them about the warranty.

They might beat three months or not. I waited 15 months for my PT 111 G2 SS that replaced my PT 145 SS. You original magazines might fit the new pistol.

A gun that shoots accurately beats one that doesn't every time.

Life is short. If i can out shoot my gun its not in my safe long. So many tack drivers out there calling me by name.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts