1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Super Moderator
35,281 Posts
I can't tell ya how it'll work in your gun. You just need to buy some and try it. I always put a couple hundred rounds through a gun before I trust it and I like to use the load in competition to gain some confidence in it if at all possible. I've heard good stuff about the Hornady +P stuff, but know that a lot of their stuff is quite under-loaded. I've never chronographed it, though. A jello test at http://www.brassfetcher.com/230grHornPlusP.html suggests good penetration and expansion, though the impact velocity is rather mild for a +P load. As I said, Hornady factory stuff is normally rather mild compared to some manufacturers like Cor Bon who stretch the limits. But, this jello testing suggests very good performance for the load at 13+" penetration with good expansion to 0.700+" for all test shots. Can't argue with that!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Underloaded & mild. Interesting. It would make more sense for me to try the 200 gr instead of the 230 gr.

·
Super Moderator
35,281 Posts
I like Speer's 200 grain +P Gold Dot. I shoot a Speer JHP handload in my Ruger, goes 950 fps and is not +P level, but should be effective. The factory load penetrates between 12 and 13" in jello and is in the 1000-1050 fps range out of a 4.5" barrel. Some 200 grain loads advertise to be around 1100 fps and make in the 530 ft lbs range, but the Speer load seems more typical for factory stuff. I like the 200 grain weight loads in .45 as I think it splits the difference in 185 vs 230. 230 tends to be slow and while jello tests show expansion, 800 fps don't give me the warm fuzzies. ;D I like to speed the old horse up and I have confidence the 200 grain loads will have adequate penetration.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I use the Hornady's +P 45 sometimes. Never had any misfires or fail to feed or eject. Very stable, and my 745 is VERY finicky in what I feed it. I recommend them, but I kinda wish the'd put a better finish on them. They are cool looking in black, but it scratches and wears off really bad so they end up looking really ratty. But of course, that's purely cosmetic...

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
My wife uses the 9mm 124-grain TAP in her Glock 26. Quite accurate and I was surprised to see the muzzle flash at night was as low as advertised.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts