Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well since I still don't have bullets (on order), I'm fiddling around with my brand new Hornady LNL AP trying to figure it all out. I really like this thing!

Anyway, yesterday I decided to get to know the case activated powder drop and how accurate it is at dropping a charge. I loaded it with powder (Trail Boss) and started to dial in my charge, I'm using the pistol micrometer. Found out I had a static problem, I'll solve that with a drier sheet. When finished I went to pour the powder back into the Trail Boss bottle. Everything when well until the little metal powder distribution thing dropped out causing power to go everywhere. Not a bunch but it made a mess.

How do you keep the little metal powder distribution thing in place? Or do you even use it?
How do you put it back in? Do you remove the plastic hopper put it back in place then put the hopper back on? Seems like removing the plastic hopper is going to eventually make it very loose.
How do you dump your powder at the end of a loading session? Clean the powder drop?

Sorry for the very elementary questions, but I can't find this info anywhere. I'm trying to learn.

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts
Powder spills suck.

That said, not being familiar with how the Hornady system works I'm not sure, How did the "powder distribution thing drop(ped) out"

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The powder distribution thing (sure wish I knew the name of this darn thing) sits in place at the bottom of the powder hopper, when installing it I pulled the powder hopper off, put the powder distribution thing in place and put the powder hopper back on, I thought the powder hopper was holding the "thing" in place, it wasn't.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No that's the problem, their manuals are not up to date. I had the part and couldn't figure out where it went so while I was on the phone with Hornady support about another issue I asked where it went.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, the "powder distribution thing" is called a "powder baffle".

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Yep powder baffle. LOL Got me the first time too. I believe it just sits in the hopper. I know mine does on the Lee Auto Pro. Just make sure it's pointed in the right direction. :)

BW

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How does Lee keep the powder baffle in place when you're dumping the powder out of the hopper?

I may have to start dumping the powder into a bowl then into the powder bottle so I can catch the powder baffle when it falls out.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
It doesn't. It's just a friction fit. I spread mine a little to get it to stay in. If you don't bump the hopper it's OK. I like to tap mine at the end to get all the powder out of the "o"ring area. At first I would take a pair of needle nose pliers & reach in & pull the baffle out but that got old fast. LOL

BW

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I may spread the baffle out just a bit also. This would help with seating it in place to.

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
I don't have the AP press, I just have the Hornady single stage. I do use the Hornady powder dispenser. I'm not sure if this item will work while the powder dispenser is set up on the AP press or not but I find it to be absolutely invaluable...
Hornady Lock-N-Load Powder Measure Drain Insert
It's the best $12 you will spend. When you want to empty the hopper just turn the powder measure so it's pointing out at 9 o'clock or above, remove the powder measure, place the drain insert in, put the powder bottle in place at the end of the drain insert and let it lower downward so the powder flows into the bottle. It works fantastic! Eliminates the need to turn the hopper upside down to drain it.

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Thanks Darbo,

That looks like that maybe the way to go...
I was looking at a picture of the AP press and was wondering if there isn't enough room to hold the powder bottle under the drain while the powder dispenser is in place perhaps you could just turn the entire powder dispenser like you are unlocking it and it would turn the powder measure outward allowing for the bottle to be held under the drain. Geeez I hope that makes sense!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
With the LNL bushings you can take the whole powder drop station off the press then use measure drain.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts