Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
29,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a box of the stuff and haven't used it yet. I am somewhat apprehensive about such a pointy 30-30 (yeah I know rubber tip, wont set off the primer in front... :D ) but from what I have read it is supposed to work great. I have read some random comments here on a bunch of different threads from those of you who have used it and it seems like it works well but I thought I would start a thread on it and see what yall really think!

It sounds like the stuff will have a flatter trajectory and a bit more range. What have yall found?

I'll be using it out of a Marlin 336.

For those who haven't see it, this is what I am talking about: Hornady Manufacturing Company :: Ammunition :: Rifle :: Choose by Product Line :: LEVERevolution®

Reactions: ncfarmer

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
I use 150 grain Hornady Leverevolution in my .30-30 and 160 grain in my .30-06 as my hunting
ammunition. It does give the .30-30 and the .30-06 a little more reach when a longer shot
is needed. This is a rough estimate but I believe it adds about 50 yards or more effective range
to your shots with both rifles. My best friend and hunting partner shot a buck at 100 yards
this year with a .35 Remington loaded with Hornady this year. The entrance wound started
in the front of the deer and it traveled through the entire body length of the deer exiting out
of the left hindquarter. Needless to say, one of that deer's hams was ruined but I thought
that showed great penetration with this round as well as improved ballistics versus standard
ammunition. There wasn't much damage to the animal other than when the bullet struck
the hip socket before exiting. There's where the damage occurred to that ham I was referring
to. We both use Marlin 336 rifles when we hunt with lever actions.

·
Registered
29,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
To a Mod.. any mod.. .:D I fat fingered the title, could one of yall change it to "Leverevolution"?

·
Registered
29,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I use 150 grain Hornady Leverolution in my .30-30 and 160 grain in my .30-06 as my hunting
ammunition. It does give the .30-30 and the .30-06 a little more reach when a longer shot
is needed. This is a rough estimate but I believe it adds about 50 yards or more effective range
to your shots with both rifles. My best friend and hunting partner shot a buck at 100 yards
this year with a .35 Remington loaded with Hornady this year. The entrance wound started
in the front of the deer and it traveled through the entire body length of the deer exiting out
of the left hindquarter. Needless to say, one of that deer's hams was ruined but I thought
that showed great penetration with this round as well as improved ballistics versus standard
ammunition. There wasn't much damage to the animal other than when the bullet struck
the hip socket before exiting. There's where the damage occurred to that ham I was referring
to. We both use Marlin 336 rifles when we hunt with lever actions.
I just got a box of the 160 Grain 30-30's today, I might try and get out this weekend and see what its like at least at the range. If all goes well, I am hoping it will bring home some bacon, and pork chops and pork roast... :D

It sounds like it worked well for your friend!

Reactions: ncfarmer

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I got a winchester 94 ( a newer one early 90's) 30/30 i have been wondering about those rounds too let us know how they do

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I've reloaded several .30-30 loads and they do shoot flatter. My 336 Marllin .30-30 Ackley Improved is a decent 200 yd gun now.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I do reloading, and was looking to use this bullet. However on a couple different websites that I go to to research loads and what not people have been saying that this round is very messy inside of the animals. Some of the stories being told where of complete messes even with broadside shots from 50-70 yards. I don't know if that is true, but I don't see the need for the gummy tips myself, you won't see much increase inside of 100 yards which is where the 30-30 is the greatest at.

Like I said I don't have personal experience, but after reading a bunch of negatives, alot were over at Marlinowners.com so those guys normally know what they are talking about with levers. I think that I will personally skip this round for my lever-action.

·
Registered
37,059 Posts
well never used it and I don't reload rifle ammo anymore!
but i understand its much like the hornady FTX in the pistol ammo, the flex tip resist deformation and makes it safe in tubular magazines, it is also suppose to be ballistically much better than the flat nose or round nose.
so better ballistics adds not only to better range but better energy levels at extended ranges?
of course the old Savage lever actions that had the rotary magazines eliminated all ths need for special ammo in guns like 30-30 and 35 remington, etc, but see none of you guys liked them!!
NOOOO! you all wanted to be like John wayne and have a Winchester!!!-LOL

·
Registered
403 Posts
well never used it and I don't reload rifle ammo anymore!
but i understand its much like the hornady FTX in the pistol ammo, the flex tip resist deformation and makes it safe in tubular magazines, it is also suppose to be ballistically much better than the flat nose or round nose.
so better ballistics adds not only to better range but better energy levels at extended ranges?
of course the old Savage lever actions that had the rotary magazines eliminated all ths need for special ammo in guns like 30-30 and 35 remington, etc, but see none of you guys liked them!!
NOOOO! you all wanted to be like John wayne and have a Winchester!!!-LOL
I don't have a problem with the Round/Flat noses that you need because the two most common bullets you will see are the 30-30 and .35 Rem, both of which are 100 yard rounds, now the .35 Rem can go out to 200 yards easy, but still you don't normally see much difference in killing power from a Spitzer bullet over a Round nose until you get 200+ yards. What you will see is a bit of flatter flight, ie POI will be much closer at 25/50 yards then you would see with a round nose, but if you know your gun and your hunting rounds this isn't a big deal as you will already be taking that into account when you fire.

Most of the negatives that I have been reading about the FTX tips in 30-30 and more so in 35 Rem is that they are weak, once they hit flesh they just fall apart and the shred the insides into red hamburg. I'm not talking about reloaders pushing these bullets to the top end of their range, I'm talking factory loaded, because if you look these bullets are loaded pretty hot right from Hornady. Personally what I have read is enough to keep me away from using these in my hunts, because I'm going for meat, now if you are a trophy hunter that doesn't mind not having as much meat then yeah these bullets will give you a bit more power at 100+ yards.

Again this is just my option which I have made from reading alot (I don't mean just 5 minutes, I mean ALOT!). Personally I loaded up some of the Nosler Combine Tech for my Father-in-laws 30-30, wasn't able to take anything this year with it :( (really really sad that we didn't get anything) And I will be looking at the Speer Hot Curls in 170gr for next year. But if you want some good factory ammo I have read alot of good things about the Federal Fusions in 30-30, suppose to be a bit flatter shooting RN then avg.

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
A friend recently bought a Henry Big Boy in .44 Magnum, and we shot a box of the Leverevolution through it with no adverse problem, and even though we were using iron sights and shooting standing freehand, the grouping was great.

I would think the ballistic tip to be more helpful to the .44 magnum than the 30-30. My youngest son took his second deer with a 336 at 180 honest yards using a Weaver 4 power, which I thought might have been stretching the range of the 30-30 with the flat tipped bullets he was using. He just aimed for the top of the shoulder and dropped him where he stood.

I'm a pretty good believer in Hornady products, particularly defense rounds for handguns. The loads always seem very consistent, and the price is amongst the best for a quality premium round.

Reactions: TexasAviator

·
Registered
29,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
I bought a couple of boxes of 45 70 with the 325 gn. bullet to use in my Browning 1885 Hi Wall. It shoots great but I found the brass cases are about an eighth of an inch shorter that regular ammo.

·
Super Moderator
20,082 Posts
My dad uses it in the 45-70 out of his Marlin Guide gun in that caliber. He is a big time reloader but has bought about 6-7 cases of the stuff and keeps a bullet or two sitting around the house as paper weights. Yeah, he shoots it too. He has a good many lever guns in Winchester and Marlin in all the usual 30 caliber hunting rounds but only carries the 45-70 on a regular basis. It is an interesting bullet with the poly tip on it and, in fact, it looks like a Russian castle corner in all its spired beauty.

Oh, enough meandering, yes, I think is a genius design and kind of surprised someone didn't come out with it sooner. Not sure how many actual cases of accidental tip to primer inertial contact discharges occurred over the years to prompt someone to finally think of this. Good marketing concept in any case. I like it.

·
Registered
29,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I still haven't got to use it, my range trip last weekend was postponed until Sunday, but I am excited to try it.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I use it in 45-70 and works very well I sighted 3" high at 100yds groups at 1.75" give or take.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Been hunting with the LeverRevolution ammo since it was introduced in my .357 and 30-30. I was instantly pleased, helps a little with range in my 686 and Henry, that are in .357 but I use iron sights on both so that doesn't matter much.

In my 94' the ballistics really help, I was using a 150grain Round nose and pushing it hard, 2500fps. With the poor ballistic coefficient .186 and a 150yard sight in I was 1.4" high at 100yrd, 4" low at 200yard and with it a full 11" low at 250, it was a 200yard gun.
With the 160FTX and LeverRevolution powder I am seeing 2400+fps out of the 94'. With the FTX and a 200yard zero I am under 3" high at 100yrd and 4.5" low at 250. So it effectively added 50 yards to my old 94 without having to change my hold over.

As for terminal performance I took this big boy 2 seasons ago with the 160FTX at 150 yards. It never took another step, quartering uphill shot through the right lung, nicked the heart and broke the left shoulder and found the bullet just under the skin. It expanded to .48 and retained 98% of it's weight.

·
Registered
29,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, I finally used some 160 grain 30-30 LEVERevolution and I liked how it fed and it seemed to have a flatter trajectory than the other 30-30 ammunition I was using. Even knowing its design, I was slightly apprehensive using such a pointy round in a tubular magazine but it fed great and I didn't have any issues!

I was only able to punch some holes in paper with it, but I am looking forward to use it hog hunting in the next few weeks.

·
Registered
29,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Been hunting with the LeverRevolution ammo since it was introduced in my .357 and 30-30. I was instantly pleased, helps a little with range in my 686 and Henry, that are in .357 but I use iron sights on both so that doesn't matter much.

In my 94' the ballistics really help, I was using a 150grain Round nose and pushing it hard, 2500fps. With the poor ballistic coefficient .186 and a 150yard sight in I was 1.4" high at 100yrd, 4" low at 200yard and with it a full 11" low at 250, it was a 200yard gun.
With the 160FTX and LeverRevolution powder I am seeing 2400+fps out of the 94'. With the FTX and a 200yard zero I am under 3" high at 100yrd and 4.5" low at 250. So it effectively added 50 yards to my old 94 without having to change my hold over.

As for terminal performance I took this big boy 2 seasons ago with the 160FTX at 150 yards. It never took another step, quartering uphill shot through the right lung, nicked the heart and broke the left shoulder and found the bullet just under the skin. It expanded to .48 and retained 98% of it's weight.

Thats the terminal performance I am hoping for Stallard! Nice shot!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts