Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got some hornady leverevolution .357 mag ammo and was wondering how this stacks up as a defensive round? I'm concerned about over penetration issues, let me know what you think...

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Not meant as a defensive round. As the name implies, it's main (but not only purpose) is for lever action rifles.

I, personally, would not use this as a cartridge in my night stand gun.

I would take it in a 4-6" barreled revolver when hiking in the desert.

·
Registered
8,150 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm using it in a 6" barrel, I'm getting double duty out of it, it is big for home defense but I kind of like that...

·
33,045 Posts
The 140gr. weight is mainly for hunting as NYPD stated. So are the 140gr. JHPs for the most part. Those such as Corbon's loads in that weight can be used for both hunting and defense.

If in an urban setting the magnum light loads in .357 magnum,135 gr. JHPs made for shorty revolvers, or the full house 125gr. bullets would be a better overall pick. Nothing would be lost by going to these listed above.

Yes, there is some vesatility there, but overpenetration of people or things with heavy bullets is a real concern here.

·
Super Moderator
36,149 Posts
Leverlution is for carbines. I shoot 140 grain Speers at about 1400 fps in my 3" Taurus 66. Very accurate and they work danged good on trapped hogs. You should see the exit wound. :eek: I don't shoot 125 grain stuff anymore, personally. It has a good street record, but it's hard on forcing cones and top straps. For hunting, I prefer a 158 SWC moving at 1470 fps or a 180 Hornady XTP moving at 1400 fps from a 6.5" barrel. This load does a good job on deer/hog size animals. 140 is a little light for hunting, good self defense weight and not nearly as hard on the guns in hot loads.

·
Administrator
36,043 Posts
I've got a box of this ammo, but I would never consider it for home defense - it just penetrates too much. I read a really good article from a couple of years ago about how the Winchester Silvertip ammo for 357 is an outstanding home defense round.....it will stop almost as good as the vaunted 125 grain SJHP round, but the round will not exit about 9 times out of 10. Can't beat that.

·
Registered
38 Posts
It is now designed for .357 Magnum and .44 Magnum revolvers.

http://www.hornady.com/story.php?s=760

Hornady reaches another pivotal turning point with the application of LEVERevolution® Flex Tip® technology to the handgun arena with the 357 Magnum and 44 Magnum LEVERevolution® cartridges.

Typical hollow point pistol bullets deliver good performance at modest velocities, but expand too quickly and sacrifice penetration at the higher velocities achieved with lever action rifles. But Hornady soon discovered that the same Flex Tip® technology that prevents primers from detonating in tubular magazines, also allows the bullet to expand reliably over an unbelievably wide range of velocities.

Upon impact, the Flex Tip® eXpanding bullet is compressed into the front of the bullet, causing the bullet to expand under hydraulic force. Flex Tip® eXpanding bullets will NEVER clog and not expand like some hollow points can. This also transfers a great deal of immediate energy with a devastating temporary cavity, even at low velocity.

Now you can shoot Hornady’s LEVERevolution® from your lever gun AND your handgun!

Hornady’s 357 Mag and 44 Mag LEVERevolution cartridges feature a 140 gr and a 225 gr FTX bullet, respectively. Both bullets deliver exceptional performance across a wide range of velocities and are designed for use in both handguns and lever action carbines. By applying our patented Flex Tip technology and clean burning, high energy propellants, these cartridges deliver rifle like performance in both expansion and penetration from any gun in any situation.

Is it ment for self defense applications... I doubt it as it was designed around having a good handgun hunting cartridge.

·
Administrator
36,043 Posts
I have some, but I haven't shot them yet. What's recoil like? Say, in comparison to a 125 gr SHJP.....

·
33,045 Posts
With Federal,Speer, and Remington out there with their magnum light loads at over 1200 fps or a few new loads with 130gr. JHPs, there's more than enough good .357 magnum rounds out there. That's besides the excellent 125gr.JHP full power ones.

With the heavier slugs overpenetration becomes a bigger problem and more likely for defense scenarios. Hunting? That's a different.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.