Taurus Firearm Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
I read through the article and the author totally discounts bullet weight, everything is penetration and expansion. Bullet weight is a large factor if you are looking at knockdown or stopping power. For example, pickup a ping pong ball and throw it at someone, then throw a golf ball at them. Which one hurts the most? I personally don't believe that velocity trumps bullet weight, especially in the rather limited velocities from a pistol/revolver.

There is a huge difference between a 115 grain 9mm bullet and a 230 grain .45 Auto bullet, even though as the author points out penetration and temporary wound cavities are quite similar. The 9mm bullet hitting an armored vest will hurt, a .45 Auto bullet will break a rib.

And yes, there are people out there who can absorb a crazy amount of damage before going down, and for those occasions I would suggest that if they don't go down when you double tap them to the chest, then then fire one more shot to their legs and run like hell.

·
Registered
540 Posts
FYI: the Custom line is now Hornaday's American Gunner label. Primo stuff. What every new gun owner should use to break in their pistolas!

·
Registered
77 Posts
If you like the XTP bullet, you can get the XTP bullet with Fiocchi Extrema line , nickel plated, much less expensive , Great round.

·
Registered
4,672 Posts
I read through the article and the author totally discounts bullet weight, everything is penetration and expansion. Bullet weight is a large factor if you are looking at knockdown or stopping power. For example, pickup a ping pong ball and throw it at someone, then throw a golf ball at them. Which one hurts the most? I personally don't believe that velocity trumps bullet weight, especially in the rather limited velocities from a pistol/revolver.
Quite a sloppy false analogy there. You're comparing identical velocity with a 17x weight difference.
Max speed of a ping pong ball off a paddle is close to 70mph.

Ping pong ball going 70mph (103fps) makes roughly 1 ft-lb.
For a golf ball to make the same energy, it would only have to go 17mph (25fps)

For a point of reference, I could throw a baseball at 30mph, when I was in the second grade. A golf ball thrown at about half that speed would not 'hurt' nearly as much as that ping pong ball.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
Never really cared for the foot pounds of energy, as it has no real measurable effect, especially with ping pong balls, golf balls and softballs. It also doesn't account for sectional density. The old 7X57mm round that was used to take down elephants essentially defied the foot pounds of energy aspect that "experts" have been trying to somehow tie to "knock down power" another elusive measurable with little real world meaning. Your real choices are slow and big, or little and fast. And while temporary cavities are fine, there is a lot to be said for throw weight, especially without the noise, blast, and flash that comes with supersonic pistol bullets. When you factor in body armor, then you can see some differences between the big and slow and the little and fast. Body armor will stop both the 9mm and the .45ACP, but while that 115 grain bullets will hit with some impact, the 230 grain .45ACP is more likely to break a rib.

·
Registered
4,672 Posts
There are fast 9mms that rip through armor, I haven't heard of any 45's that do. But we all know velocity is what penetrates armor (with obvious caveats).

It's really not a small&fast vs big&slow as far as handgun rounds go, just small&fast vs slightly-bigger&slightly-less-fast.

Not necessarily a weight issue, but I do like bullets that have more material to expand with. More lead gets more potential expansion. But step away from lead and you're not confined to more weight = more expansion.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
As far as I know, only old armor or poor armor will not hold up to any 9mm fired from a pistol. The newer armor should stop even a .357 Mag. otherwise your armor is not worth buying if it doesn't hold up against even the most common pistol ammunition.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts