Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a box of Hornady Critical defense 125 grain FTX for my 617SS on sale at the suggestion of my LGS. After getting home I did a little research and it appears as if some people have had some issues with cratering on the primers and the gun not advancing. I have not had a chance to take this ammo to the range yet, but have any of you had any issues or experience with this ammo? The reviews for other calibers are very good but some people think the 357 rounds are a little too hot.

I hope to get to the range tomorrow and check these out and see if I have any issues with them.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
I use them for concealed carry in my M605.

Critical Defense is a powerful ammo...but I'll just bet a well-placed round would make King Kong turn loose of ya'! Just sayin'...;)

003 - M605 .357 Mag Taurus.JPG

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
I picked up a box of Hornady Critical defense 125 grain FTX for my 617SS on sale at the suggestion of my LGS. After getting home I did a little research and it appears as if some people have had some issues with cratering on the primers and the gun not advancing. I have not had a chance to take this ammo to the range yet, but have any of you had any issues or experience with this ammo? The reviews for other calibers are very good but some people think the 357 rounds are a little too hot.

I hope to get to the range tomorrow and check these out and see if I have any issues with them.
If you can put it where the x-ring is it's not to hot. .357 mag is a beautiful caliber, I'd carry it but I prefer magazines. Just my opinion. Carry On.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Yes, I have heard of all the problems with the primer cap pushing back on the .357 Hornady Critical Defense thus preventing the cylinder from rotating. I presently carry Hornady Critical Defense in .45 ACP and have carried it in .380 and it always worked perfectly but I will not use it in my .357 for CCW because of all the reported problems.

I have not heard of any problems at all with any Hornady Critical Defense ammo in any caliber except .357 mag.

Here is a YouTube video that I found regarding the problem

I have a box of it in .357 that I bought awhile back before I heard of all the problems and you reminded me that I need to shoot it up at the range the next time I go and will report back in this thread. Hopefully they have already or will solve this problem.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Went to the range today and fired off half the box with absolutely no problems. Maybe Hornady adjusted the charge in the 357 caliber. Only 1 primer looked like it bulged a little but overall I was pleased with them. Recoil was not as bad as I expected also. I will probably use them again since the local farm store has them for just under $19.00 a box.

·
Registered
27,530 Posts
Not saying this doesn't happen, but the physics are more complicated than you might think.
There's always plenty of pressure on the primer. Ordinarily what happens on firing is that the brass expands and sticks to the chamber wall, the primer is pushed back, then, microseconds later the pressure drops slightly and the brass relaxes. Then the case is pushed backwards by the still high pressure - reseating the primer.
I'm wondering if perhaps one of the chambers is a tad rough (or dirty) thereby holding on to the case a couple microseconds too long so that the pressure drops too much to reseat the primer. Does this always happen with the same chamber?

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not that I have observed, this was the only one noticed today. I was inspecting this ammo very closely since some of the online reviews stated that it routinely ejects the primer or on one post was actually trapping the firing pin. I was watching for either of these issues and am happy to report that this did not happen.

·
Registered
7,127 Posts

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
At about 25 feet I placed them all within 3 inches of the center of the bulls eye. That may not sound tight to some but I am not a marksman and this was a pretty good grouping for me. I usually shoot a little to the left (maybe its my bifocals).

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
These rounds cost around $30 at a LGS but where I live there is a farm store called Gebos that has them much cheaper.

·
Registered
7,127 Posts
I'm guessing they shot just a little bit low?

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Maybe a little bit, but not too noticeable. As far a a defense round they would have gotten the job done.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts