Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

Administrator
Discussion Starter #1
Hornady Critical Defense 185GR .45ACP

I picked up some of this today to refresh the ammo in my PT145. Appears that anything should be able to feed it. I like the nickel case, since it won't tarnish. My 145 hasn't met a cartridge it doesn't like.

Experience or opinions on this product?

Registered
I have been using it in my PT145 for quite some time.

I am down to my last two mags and have shot about 80 out of 100 rounds that I purchased when I got my PT145.

I have never had any failures with it.

I need to get some more but have been thinking about going with a 230 grain HP of some sort. A friend of mine chastised me for using the lighter weight bullet and swears the heavier weight is better especially with the short barrel. I'm not sure.

Administrator
Discussion Starter #3
I've always preferred a heavier bullet, but at near 1,000 fps, that should make up for the loss in weight. I watched a Youtube video a little while ago on these, and I was impressed. Consistent expansion is also impressive in the design.

Registered
I also like them because they have the rubber plug in the hollow point. This keeps lint out considering I keep my spare mag in a pocket.

I do not doubt that they would do the job. Like you said, 1000 fps, that's nothing to sniffle at.

Registered
Nice coincidence. I just bought some Remington Golden Sabers in 230 gn at my LGS today. I had the choice of that , the 185 GS, the Hornaday load you bought or a new Barnes load, also in 180 or 185.

A good bunch of my guns in different calibers get loaded with the Critical Defense simply because the prefer it. It is that the GS or my stash of Black Talons.. I can't say about shooting animate targets with the CD but it is real consistent and performs on paper very well in at least half of my guns.

I don't really worry about expansion that much with a .45 but a hollow point may just have a better "crush" factor than ball even if it doesn't get great expansion and I also feel an HP is less overpenetration/ricochet prone. If it expands dramatically that is a bonus to me.

Registered
I bought a case of 500 awhile back when my PT145 started to get finicky. They work great and that's what stay's in the magazines unless I'm target practicing..:)

Registered
Essentially the same loading as the "Zombie Max" rounds using the XTP projectiles, My RIA doesn't like them much due to the profile I think. The little rubber nub kind of digs into the bottom of the barrel on the first round from a mag, but they work without a hiccup in my 945. No noticeable difference in recoil, still that easy .45 push just like running the heavier weight rounds.

Banned
I use the Hornady Critical Defense as well. My PY145 loves them. So far, my PT145 seems to be able to spit out anything I feed it. That's what you get from a well maintained older Taurus, carefree operation.

Registered
The nickle cases are designed to provide extra lubricity for feeding, and also to prevent corrosion while stored under less than perfect conditions (like in your magazine) or when exposed to wet environments (again like in your magazine).

Barnes bullets, being made of copper, aren't going to be as heavy in equal OAL of cartridges, as copper is lighter than lead. I've found that the 185 gr rounds seem to work best in shorter barrel guns.

Administrator
I think it's a good choice. I've been using Corbon PowRball in my PT145 for a couple of years, it's the same basic design with a polymer ball that pushes the jacket open. I always wondered if the lower pressure from a short barreled pistol would keep a regular hollowpoint from expanding.....not that a 45 needs to. :D

Registered
I have about 100 rounds in the safe, along with two mags full, and have put an additional 100 rounds through my PT145. Great ammo. Seems to be very accurate and consistent. I'm using the 185gr in my 145 as well. From what I've read, a 3" barrel is a little short to build up the pressure needed to get the velocity required for effective penetration. A couple of reports and anecdotal information, so it's nothing to hang your hat on. But considering the accuracy of the gun coupled with the ammo, 185gr should be sufficient. I've never had a problem with the Critical Defense. As far as the plug, I carry an extra mag in a holder on my weak side, so it's really a moot point. Hornady builds some great ammo.

Registered
I have been using it in my PT145 for quite some time.
I am down to my last two mags and have shot about 80 out of 100 rounds that I purchased when I got my PT145.
I have never had any failures with it.
I need to get some more but have been thinking about going with a 230 grain HP of some sort. A friend of mine chastised me for using the lighter weight bullet and swears the heavier weight is better especially with the short barrel. I'm not sure.
Depends on what you want the projectile to do in my opinion!
The lighter weight projectiles will almost always have more energy, little less penetration (not by much I a modern design projectile) muzzle flash and recoil will likely be less with the lighter stuff.
Personally I am not shooting a round ball (FMJ) and trying to shoot through 2- soldiers so I like 200 grain in full size and 175-185 in Commander and defender/officer size weapons.
Actually I got a few boxes of copper projectiles in 160 grain if I ever get them loaded up, then I can be drummed out of the Official 1911 club for sure.

Registered
My PT-145 is ambivalent about ammo too; it is currently stoked with Cor Bon 160 gr. DPX ammo.

They are extremely proud of this **** as in $46 for 20 rounds.

Yep!
I got 2 packs of COP projectiles just like this that need loading up and testing.
I am sure the performance will be fine Just as has been with the 380, 38 Spl, 9 MM and 38 super, don't expect any difference in the 45.

Registered
I'm surprised nobody's got any of these they could give a comparative analysis on
Taurus Ammo.png

Reactions: RScottie

Registered
Are these loaded cartridges or just the bullet for those that reload?

And, where can they be purchased?
They were a trial run put out by Taurus in like 2006,2007. They were full rounds and also a limited run. If you can find them, buy them as they're as rare as hen's teeth.

Registered
I've run probably a hundred rounds through my 3" 1911 with no issues. Currently have the 220-gr. Critical Duty in my carry mag. Same as the Critical Defense, but have sealed primers and bonded jacket/cores for better penetration. I think they are +P as well, which I normally don't like for carry at night. The muzzle flash plays hell with your night vision!

Registered
I'm surprised nobody's got any of these they could give a comparative analysis on
View attachment 102523
Greenwolf has a closet full of them.
They are still selling them in Alabama I understand, mostly because Alabama is about 10 years behind the rest of us!-----:devil:
Its a Barnes all copper projectile by the way if I remember right, you can still get these from most reloading supply houses as well as COP projectiles.

Registered
Greenwolf has a closet full of them.
They are still selling them in Alabama I understand, mostly because Alabama is about 10 years behind the rest of us!-----:devil:
Its a Barnes all copper projectile by the way if I remember right, you can still get these from most reloading supply houses as well as COP projectiles.
Hell, I'd just want an empty box. I can do the reloading myself.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts