Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I took my carry guns to an indoor range yesterday. I can't remember going to the range and simply shooting my 709 and P3AT as they came in the door with the Critical Defense ammo in the mags as it had been over several weeks of storage and carrying. I started with the 709 and all round fired and ejected with no issues and I was pleased with my grouping at 5 yards to boot. Then on to the P3AT. I started with the 6 rd mag and the 4th or 5th rd didn't fire. Then I went to my 9 rd extended mag and had another round fail to fire. I was focused on cycling the bad round and getting back on target so I have no idea where the failed rounds ended up. I still have a few left in that box so I guess I should have checked the box for a date before drafting this post. But needless to say, I was really disappointed.

I immediately loaded both of my P3AT mags with some 85 gr (I think) PMC FMJ's. All rounds fired without any issues. I thought that perhaps my firing pin was dirty and possibly causing the FTF's but since the PMC's went off without an issue I'm not so sure. I'm having doubts about carrying the Critical Defense - at least in my 380. I think I'm going to evaluation my options.

Any members ever have any issues with the Critical Defense in 380?

·
Registered
5,358 Posts
Geez, and I thought only TCP 380s were the only small guns to have problems. What an eye-opener [sarcasm]...

Seriously, I hope you get it straightened out!!!

·
Registered
29,905 Posts
Sounds like you solved your own problem.

It's better to up grade your skill level with 100% reliable FMJ's then to "try" to with a 30% reliable "magic bullet".. ;)

·
Super Moderator
17,717 Posts
I've never had a failure with the Hornady .380 Critical Defense in my TCP, and that's my carry load. I've fired maybe 100 all together, plus hundreds of rounds of ball ammo. I really haven't found anything that doesn't work. Once I get past 50 rounds in a session I'll have an occasional failure but I've always blamed that on heat and/or fouling.

·
Registered
36,332 Posts
Nope! never had any functioning problems with FTX, that includes the 380, and 9 mm.
they feed, the fire, they eject, course I can say that for about all ammo out of my pistols other than the occasional flub of a bulk 22 LR round.
Its an ever ending thing though!
I was down at the range the other day and had a 100 rounds of USA Ammo 380 fmj flat points and took them, I took my sig 238 and the 738.
the Sig 238 choke don 3 of the 70 or so rounds, the gun has never even thought about not working on some 10-12 different 380 ammoes including hollow points, I put the rounds back in the magazine and they ran fine, the 738 ran on its 25-30 USA flat points without issue!
different guns like different ammo.

·
Super Moderator
40,514 Posts
I have now fired 3 boxes of Critical Defense in my TCP .380 with out any failures. Firts time was a full box in one session. After the first full box, I have only shot 1 mag full at a time every few weeks. Do you have the lot number to post it may be helpful for others.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Critical Defense tested fine in my Sig 238. The 738 did not like the CD (two to four FTE per box with two boxes of 25rounds) although it runs fine on PowerBall and pretty much everything else we feed it.

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
I run it in my S&W Bodyguard with no problems so far.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the feedback. I'll find a lot number on the box and post for everyone. Next up, I'll think I'll be trying a box of PDX1's that have been sitting on my shelf.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
If you hit the Kel-Tec boards they have some fluff and buff advice that can help, but in general small autos can be very finicky about ammo. It could even be the difference between how you hold and your stance and someone else. It is not unusual for a combination of shooter and ammo to work perfectly for one shooter and not at all with another in small autos. Key is to find out what works for your pistol with you shooting. It has been said many times on this board that there really isn't much difference between the premium self defense rounds, so don't worry about magic bullets, just about what works for your pistol with you doing the shooting.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wolf, what gets me is that I have a couple boxes of these through the gun with no issues - until those last two mags. My confidence is shaken, regardless of what the reason or cause might so I'm going to try a few boxes of PDX1's.

The lot code on the box I had issues with is: 3110215.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. I'll find a lot number on the box and post for everyone. Next up, I'll think I'll be trying a box of PDX1's that have been sitting on my shelf.
I have been shooting PDX-1's in my M&P9C and my TCP 380, no problems in either gun. It is my carry ammo as of right now.
My TCP actually shoots best with XTP reloads, but you know what some say about carrying reloads for SD.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
Your XTP reloads shoot better than your Fiocchi Extremas?

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
Inside joke.

·
Registered
36,332 Posts
I ve not tried any Hornady XTP projectiles in reloads yet, I have ran a few Gold Dots in reloads and they work very well, i got plenty (well a lot) of Fiocchi extrema XTP 380 so really not much need in reloading and XTP as they are the same projectiles and in 380 likely would be a similiar powder loading as well.
The Gold Dots are niiiiiiice in the 38 Super for sure, but I have been kind of playing around with the 380 and 38 Super in all copper projectiles, got plenty of Fiocchi Mono Block copper in 9 mm so again no need for more copper in that caliber right now.
OH and to each his own but I reloaded my carry ammo years ago when i reloaded and I will do the same now.
I trust my quality control more than a robot and camera in a modern loading factory, plus i can taylor fit them to my individual needs.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
I heard the copper thieves are so bad in Atlanta that if you shoot someone with a copper bullet, they steal the bullet before the cops can get there.

·
Registered
36,332 Posts
I heard the copper thieves are so bad in Atlanta that if you shoot someone with a copper bullet, they steal the bullet before the cops can get there.
ahh--ummm??
have you ever wondered exactly where I am getting all my copper for the all copper projectiles?-LOL
and does anybody know exactly what kind of gas that is that coems out of an air conditioning unit when you cut the lines to it???

Reactions: whodog

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
The kind that will freeze your hand if it hits it.

...unless you are in Georgia where hootch, or shinny, may run out of it since the copper thieves have stolen all the car radiators and the poor moonshiners have to use something.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts