Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
4,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know they sell various solutions for use in ultrasonic cleaners.

Other than price, is there any reason why you couldn't use either Hoppe's #9, or Break Free CLP?

·
Registered
9,166 Posts
I wouldn't do it as most of those cleaners produce heat and have rubber gaskets inside, petroleum distillates and rubber don't play nice with each other in all circumstances.

·
Registered
4,672 Posts
You don't gain anything by using it in your ultrasonic cleaner. It could possibly even make it less effective if it decreases nucleation.
You're not cleaning via chemical action exactly, so distilled water with a dash of surfactant (I use a tiny bit of dishwashing liquid) to lower surface tension/increase nucleation is as good as it gets.

·
Banned
4,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That all surprises me. Normally, I would think that the LAST thing I would want to be submerging firearm parts in, is water. :confused:

·
Registered
4,672 Posts
Nothing wrong with cleaning in water so long as you dry and re-lube it properly afterward. Guns don't just dissolve in water.

·
Registered
36,084 Posts
Not sure about CLP, but Hoppes #9 is about 80% kerosene if I remember correctly.
now Kerosene is a combustible liquid not a flammable but you might want to check on that ?
as for water to clean firearms?
well back when the local PD/ Sheriffs department moved from revolvers to semi autoes many of the guys began putting the guns in the dishwasher (minus the grips) to clean them , then relubed.???
Course now again these were law enforcement, not firefighters soooo!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts