Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,623 Posts
Wouldn't it be possible for the teens to jump a police officer and take his or her gun? Just to be safe, maybe they should just disarm the whole state under their new and highly constitutional ‘extreme risk order’. After all if it saves one life.............

·
Registered
17,410 Posts
We have several constants in this world.
One of them is if it involves lawmakers, enforcement of those laws and common sense
someone is really going to do something stupid before it is all over.
I have no faith in those who make the laws. As a matter of fact they are all idiots.
I have sympathy for the police because they are damned if they do and damned if they don't.
Everyone on the planet can be a better police officer than those who are. It's an internet fact.
We have a disease that is undiagnosed in our country and it is called "The knee-jerk reaction disease".
The result of it is we don't know what to do so we do everything.
A child gets hurt on a swing in a park. Big deal. I got hurt so many times I can't remember.
These days they sue the maker of the swing, tear down the swing, close the park, and make laws
that say swings are illegal.
This situation would be laughable if it wasn't so stupid. People with no clue trying to rule the world.
I also think it just might be proof we have already lost.

As for the crazies in my family. We have a few but none of them are me.
I swear, it isn't me.
Just ask me.

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
What if one of the kids had said they knew where a neighbor has guns and could get them? Should the 'extreme risk order' then be used to take the neighbor's guns, so the kids couldn't get them?

The sad part is, a D/L/P would likely say it was a completely rational idea.

Reactions: WoodyUSSLUCE

·
Super Moderator
38,020 Posts
What if one of the kids had said they knew where a neighbor has guns and could get them? Should the 'extreme risk order' then be used to take the neighbor's guns, so the kids couldn't get them?

The sad part is, a D/L/P would likely say it was a completely rational idea.
The way that I read the ILLinois law is that it has to be a relative or person intimate with the gun owner. Not to say that they won't work to change that.

·
Super Moderator
38,020 Posts

·
Super Moderator
38,020 Posts
Reactions: darbo and Yissnakk

·
Premium Member
5,732 Posts
We have several constants in this world.
One of them is if it involves lawmakers, enforcement of those laws and common sense
someone is really going to do something stupid before it is all over.
I have no faith in those who make the laws. As a matter of fact they are all idiots.
I have sympathy for the police because they are damned if they do and damned if they don't.
Everyone on the planet can be a better police officer than those who are. It's an internet fact.
We have a disease that is undiagnosed in our country and it is called "The knee-jerk reaction disease".
The result of it is we don't know what to do so we do everything.
A child gets hurt on a swing in a park. Big deal. I got hurt so many times I can't remember.
These days they sue the maker of the swing, tear down the swing, close the park, and make laws
that say swings are illegal.
This situation would be laughable if it wasn't so stupid. People with no clue trying to rule the world.
I also think it just might be proof we have already lost.

As for the crazies in my family. We have a few but none of them are me.
I swear, it isn't me.
Just ask me.
I almost pulled a muscle reading your post...my knee was jerking so bad!

·
Premium Member
11,265 Posts
Until someone does resist, in court, this will continue to happen. The third party involved, who was subject to the confiscation will be able to recover his property, but will have to sue the state to change the law. If he doesn't, this will be repeated over and over again. One day a judge will not return someone's firearms because, "well we have them and you might get mad because of that". No it doesn't make any sense, except to a judge.

Reactions: SixFalls

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
I wonder if these people ever wonder what the impact on the world economy would be if guns were outlawed
for private ownership. Would not need so many gun manufacturers. Would put a LOT of people out of work from
machinists to gun store owners. I wonder what the annual machine tool consumption for gun manufacturers is?
I've been in Ruger in Mayodan NC, they have a BUNCH and that's just one Ruger plant.

Mining, foundries, it's a LOT of people.

I remember Nobama preaching the salvation of people of the middle east during the "Arab Spring". We these people
going to go to their government and ask for guns so they could overthrow the government? Would
have been no "Arab Spring" without guns.

Might need to have an "American Freedom Spring" some time. No? Then what?

All the Best,
D. White

·
Premium Member
5,732 Posts
I wonder if these people ever wonder what the impact on the world economy would be if guns were outlawed
for private ownership. Would not need so many gun manufacturers. Would put a LOT of people out of work from
machinists to gun store owners. I wonder what the annual machine tool consumption for gun manufacturers is?
I've been in Ruger in Mayodan NC, they have a BUNCH and that's just one Ruger plant.

Mining, foundries, it's a LOT of people.

I remember Nobama preaching the salvation of people of the middle east during the "Arab Spring". We these people
going to go to their government and ask for guns so they could overthrow the government? Would
have been no "Arab Spring" without guns.

Might need to have an "American Freedom Spring" some time. No? Then what?

All the Best,
D. White
Do you remember when President Obama whined about corporate executives showing up to meetings in private jets? That wasn't good for airplane manufacturers, many of which are located here in the Air Capital!

How do you spell i-d-i-o-t?

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
The whole "Red-Flag" law thing is so blatantly unconstitutional it makes me sick to my stomach. No due process. No warrants issued on probable cause. Little recourse for the affected party. Would be nice to have this slapped down hard by the Supreme Court. If it presented not as a firearms issue but a Fourth Amendment issue, these laws will be struck down (unless John Roberts goes into full moron mode again. :mad:).

Now, that said, it wasn't unusual for the relatives or neighbors of an habitually drunken or a violent man, or a lunatic to remove his weapons from the home until he sobered up, wised up or was committed to an asylum/hospital. I've read about some such cases from Colonial times. However, today, normal people are called "crazy" for any reason (such as a dispute between family members, disagreements about political issues, or some stupid snowflake in the family who is the crazy one) filing a red-flag process as revenge or "punishment". One attorney told me that if that happens, DO NOT ALLOW THE POLICE IN UNLESS THEY PRODUCE A WARRANT, and contact your attorney immediately. The police will usually abandon the effort (but not always), so be careful. Let your attorney deal with them.

·
Registered
24,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
From the article:

The man from whom the weapons were confiscated was cooperative, though miffed at having to surrender his firearms when he had done nothing wrong. Hanley said he understood the gun owner’s concerns, and said he’ll be able to go through the courts to secure return of his weapons at a future date.
What's wrong with this picture?

·
Registered
14,920 Posts
From the article:

The man from whom the weapons were confiscated was cooperative, though miffed at having to surrender his firearms when he had done nothing wrong. Hanley said he understood the gun owner’s concerns, and said he’ll be able to go through the courts to secure return of his weapons at a future date.
What's wrong with this picture?
This totally ignores all of the major principals of our Criminal Justice System.

Never charged with a crime, never even suspected of a crime, this man must now "go through the courts to secure return" of his lawful property.

Ridiculous.

·
Registered
17,585 Posts
There's only one crazy in my family.

·
Premium Member
5,732 Posts
This totally ignores all of the major principals of our Criminal Justice System.

Never charged with a crime, never even suspected of a crime, this man must now "go through the courts to secure return" of his lawful property.

Ridiculous.
This sounds like civil asset forfeiture in drug cases. No charges, no conviction, no problem--you lose your cash and property.

·
Registered
15,362 Posts
So how much is it going to cost this gun owner to retrieve HIS property? That's a lawsuit over multiple constitutional amendments which means lots of zeros in that check. Now add 18 USC 1983 and the township is gonna pay a pretty penny for this screw up.

Reactions: Lmstncwby
1 - 20 of 47 Posts