Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 959 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I sure hope TEXAS passes the open carry law this year. There is a good chance since Republicans outnumber the Democrats.

The reason I hope they pass it is I carry a Taurus 605 357 cal. in my back pocket when I wear a shirt that is out and a KelTec P-32 in my rear pocket if the shirt is tucked in. I prefer the 605, 357cal. so if the open carry law should pass I will be able to carry it all the time.

I still would carry it in my back pocket if the shirt is out and in a holster if the shirt is tucked in. I just feel better when carrying the Taurus 605 357 over the KelTec P-32 32 caliber. But as of now the 605 butt shows when the shirt is tucked in.

Sure hope it passes.
djh

·
Registered
21,111 Posts
I'd like it if they ditched the holster class requirement.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Even if an OC was passed here in Ohio, I would never ever open carry. Why give your hand away to the bad guys? If you play poker you show your hand while betting?
AND what if the the bad guy see your OC, what prevents him from just coming up shooting the bull with you pulling his concealed weapon and taking yours? (just happened so don't poo poo the idea).
So give up the element of surprise..no thank you

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
Even if an OC was passed here in Ohio, I would never ever open carry. Why give your hand away to the bad guys? If you play poker you show your hand while betting?
AND what if the the bad guy see your OC, what prevents him from just coming up shooting the bull with you pulling his concealed weapon and taking yours? (just happened so don't poo poo the idea).
On the other hand a "bad guy" could walk into a room full on open carriers, and get the hell out of there.

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
It IS legal to OC in OH.

And the courts have ruled that local ordinances cannot be tougher than state law in regards to firearms law.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
I hate to break it to you but OC is already legal in Ohio. Also how about saying hey its not for me but whatever instead of chastising others for their preffered method of carry?

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
You say this as if you know for a fact you are the only one carrying.

In Texas, open carry ( once passed) might be as common as wearing boots on your feet

·
Super Moderator
35,066 Posts

In Texas, open carry ( once passed) might be as common as wearing boots on your feet
Lord, I hope so. :D That would be SO cool. I want it on principle, myself, though I'll likely keep wearing my shirt over my 605 Poly on the belt.

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
I doubt it will happen if Joe Strauss is elected again to be Speaker of the House. Forbes just labeled Joe Strauss the "Harry Reid of Texas. If he gets to be Speaker again, he will put one of his cronies in charge of Calendars and they will kill any bill the Dems ask him to. Scott Turner would be a much better choice as Speaker of the House.

Reactions: Lmstncwby

·
Registered
37 Posts
I never did like the idea of OC, I could see it useful if your out hunting and need a back-up side-arm or if you're out hiking or doing something along those lines, but just walking down the street with your gun exposed. I never did see the need for that, for poeple who like to OC, more power to them.

·
Banned
4,262 Posts
I never did like the idea of OC, I could see it useful if your out hunting and need a back-up side-arm or if you're out hiking or doing something along those lines, but just walking down the street with your gun exposed. I never did see the need for that, for poeple who like to OC, more power to them.
Kudos to you for not saying "well F them if they don't carry like I do!" I have said before, & will say again OC & CC both have their strong and weak points. Hence I often do both simultaneously. I don't care how you carry, just do it safely & shoot straight should the need arise, and I'm a happy camper. :cool:

·
Super Moderator
35,066 Posts
It is legal to OC while hunting or hiking (except in parks) in Texas. I concealed my 4" Taurus 66 on a trip to Big Bend several years back. National Parks, one can CC now, but not OC. I'm not sure if OC passes if I can OC per state law in a National Park, but I think so. This is one more reason to pass it. I'd definiltely OC my Blackhawk out there with it's 6.5" barrel. I'm deadly with it at 100 yards. I shoot okay with the 4" gun, but the 6.5" gun is set up for hunting and I'm confident in it at longer ranges. I worry about coming upon a group of mules out there, two legged armed variety. I'd rather carry a rifle, but that's a no go.

Now, thinking about it, rifles are legal to OC in Texas, so I reckon if OC passes for handguns, it might not be legal in Big Bend.....oh, well.

Reactions: 45 Forever

·
Registered
97 Posts
I had heard it was ok to OC on OHIO but didn't know it was a fact. As far as chastising I wasn't I was giving an opinion and an example

·
Registered
10,614 Posts

At least, the tourists and visitors to our State (errr.... Republic) would expect to see folks packing. You would be surprised how many are stunned that it is illegal and has been since the 1870's. You have to blame Hollywood for that - too many John Wayne movies show Texans packing after the late 1870's.

Reactions: NativeTexan

·
Super Moderator
35,066 Posts
Yeah, I don't expect it to be a common practice if passed, not in the cities. I mean, I'll probably go down to the restaurant in Sheridan with my '58 remmy in my Buscadero rig just for grins. This restaurant is run by women, owned by a woman, and there's a thing on the wall with the outline of a '73 colt that says, "We don't call 911". :D But, I mean, Sheridan is a town of several hundred folks, not even incorporated. There's a gun shop, the restaurant, a beauty parlor, a burger drive in, and the biggest business in the area, a water park. LOL! When the water park is running in the summer, the population triples. or more, each day. :D I don't know that you wouldn't cause panic in Houston or somewhere. People ain't used to open carry here. News of it wouldn't spread that well to the liberals, don't reckon, what few there are around. And, mostly, they all live in the cities. That's why Houston has a lesbian mayor that only cares about gay and lesbian issues. She's so far left she has to look right to find BHO. :rolleyes: And, even in Waco, I hear some guys wear skirts...kilts, whatever.

Yeah, Texas ain't the gun mecca I would like it to be, not everywhere, anyway.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
As far as chastising I wasn't I was giving an opinion and an example
Here is my example. Take for what it's worth.
I work in a bad neighborhood. I mean really bad. As in monthly shootings and weekly break ins.
We were broken into twice in one summer.
Our shop is on a T intersection.
The business diagonal from us was robbed (at gun point) twice in two weeks.
I start work at 6:30AM (first in the door) and believe me it's dark out.
So I started OCing. The Bros sitting on the other corner see me walking out armed in the afternoon.
Since I started there have been no attempts on us but the other business still has problems.
Is this a coincidence? Maybe.
Do I feel safer? Yes.

To believe you become a target when you OC means you also believe the criminal element is looking for a confrontation.

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
#carryon

Attachments

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I'll have to be honest about this, I don't really care one way or the other about OC. I carry concealed and have done for many years. I don't see me changing my way of life just because someone in Austin passes a law. By the way, I think that Brian Hughes might be a better choice for Speaker of the House.

1 - 20 of 959 Posts