Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Accidental shooting interrupts ceremony inside Inlet Square Mall | SCNOW

MURRELLS INLET, SC - Horry County police officers were called to a gun shot victim at the Inlet Square Mall Tuesday afternoon.

Reports indicate the shooting happened around 12:45 p.m. inside the mall.

EMS transported a woman to Grand Strand Regional Hospital for treatment.

The injury does not appear to be life threatening and police report the shooting appears to be accidental in nature.

News 13 staff on scene witnessed police officers detain an unidentified female outside the mall after the incident and placed her in the back of a patrol car for questioning.

Sgt. Robert Kegler with Horry County Police said police questioned a woman but released her because they found no intent and the incident appears accidental.

Our news partners at the Georgetown Times are reporting the victim is a member of the Honor Flight program.

The shooting happened right next to the ceremony going in the center of the mall.

That Mercy Care pinning ceremony went on without much interruption.

About 370 veterans showed up to be honored.

Bert Cassels with Honor Flight Myrtle Beach was handing out flyers when he heard a pop.

"It sounded like a firecracker, didn't even realize it was a shooting," Cassels said. "I looked down and saw a woman bleeding from her leg and that's when I called 911."

Angie Weaver was sitting close to the victim when she heard the gunshot.

"We heard it and she looked at her leg and it was gushing blood," Weaver said.

"She said she didn't feel anything, her leg was numb."

Weaver said everyone crowded around the victim but no one came forward and announced that he or she was the shooter.

"This is not what I was expecting when I came to the mall today."

Mall management responded to the incident by saying the ceremony was marred by an unfortunate accident.

Inlet Square wished the victim a speedy recovery and said the mall has a great record of safety.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
This is just speculation but...........it sounds like someone had a CC in a purse & when they reached in to get something they grabbed the trigger!! But just a guess! Can't wait for more info!!

BW

·
10,379 Posts
Love how one witness (the one who called 911) said the person who'd been shot's leg was bleeding and another witness said her leg was "gushing blood".

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update! It was an ND! Great, that is what we need. Another bad mark on the CWP holders.

Horry County police: No charges to be filed in mall shooting | SCNOW

MURRELLS INLET, SC - No charges will be filed against the woman whose pistol accidentally fired and wounded another woman at the Inlet Square Mall Tuesday.

According to an incident report, Jacqulyn Lobaugh, 59, of Murrells Inlet was shot in the leg around 12:45 p.m. while attending a Mercy Care pinning ceremony honoring veterans inside the mall.

Sgt. Robert Kegler said Lobaugh was taken to Grand Strand Regional Hospital and is listed in stable condition. Her injury does not appear to be life threatening.

News 13 staff on scene witnessed police officers detain an unidentified female outside the mall after the incident and placed her in the back of a patrol car for questioning.

A press release issued Wednesday afternoon stated that detectives determined through the course of the investigation that another woman in the area had a pistol in her purse. When she set her purse down on the floor, the firearm discharged, striking Lobaugh in the leg.

The facts of the case were presented to the 15th Circuit Solicitor’s Office and determined that no charges will be filed in connection with the incident.

The woman in question did have a valid Concealed Weapons Permit allowing the firearm to be on her person.

The shooting happened right next to the ceremony going in the center of the mall.

That Mercy Care pinning ceremony went on without much interruption.

About 370 veterans showed up to be honored.

Bert Cassels with Honor Flight Myrtle Beach was handing out flyers when he heard a pop.

"It sounded like a firecracker, didn't even realize it was a shooting," Cassels said. "I looked down and saw a woman bleeding from her leg and that's when I called 911."

Angie Weaver was sitting close to the victim when she heard the gunshot.

"We heard it and she looked at her leg and it was gushing blood," Weaver said.

"She said she didn't feel anything, her leg was numb."

Weaver said everyone crowded around the victim but no one came forward and announced that he or she was the shooter.

"This is not what I was expecting when I came to the mall today."

Mall management responded to the incident by saying the ceremony was marred by an unfortunate accident.

Inlet Square wished the victim a speedy recovery and said the mall has a great record of safety.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Pulling the trigger is always going to result in a bullet being discharged from the firearm.

When will people ever learn this?

·
Registered
114 Posts
"This is not what I was expecting when I came to the mall today." NO KIDDING! :-\

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
There's only one reason to touch your carry when you're out among 'em. And that's if your life is in imminent danger. Other than that, LEAVE THE DAMN THINGS ALONE!!!!! This is just the kind of crap the gun grabbers and liberal media love to jump all over. And it's the kind of excuse our elected traitors love to use as an excuse for more unconstitutional gun laws.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
"A press release issued Wednesday afternoon stated that detectives determined through the course of the investigation that another woman in the area had a pistol in her purse. When she set her purse down on the floor, the firearm discharged, striking Lobaugh in the leg."

·
10,379 Posts
Ya know, the more I think about it, I had a different thought. We all know the gun grabbers/antis/etc are all foaming at the mouths about the 2A...how do we know this isn't a setup by an anti to tarnish those of us that actually believe in the 2A? I know, it's highly unlikely for one of them to get over their hoplophobia long enough to actually take a class and touch a firearm, but considering some of the things they spout (running people over with cars, shooting them first, etc etc etc) it just seems like it could be plausible.

Oh good, here comes the nurse with my pills and new tinfoil hat.

·
Registered
848 Posts
The story said the gun discharged when she laid her purse on the floor. What did she do? Throw it on the floor, because I don't see any gun go off when you just place it down. And if it was a semi-auto why didn't she have the safety on?

·
Registered
29,845 Posts
If "all the facts" are finally made public, I seriously doubt a revolver will have been involved.

Historically most "Purse Dicharges" happend with cheap pot metal striker fired guns such as Lorcin, Davis etc.

Subsequent civil law suits put many of these companies out of business, but thousands of these sub-standard built guns are still out there.

Their flemsy sears and safeties tend to sear when the guns are dropped.

However the better made more expensive GLOCKS have had their fair share of infamous negligent discharges due to "pilot error" too.

If guns are going to be carried in purses or fanny packs they should be carried in proper holsters at best, or by themselves in dedicated compartments without car keys, ink pens or other items that could bet fouled up amongst the trigger.

·
Registered
432 Posts

If guns are going to be carried in purses or fanny packs they should be carried in proper holsters at best, or by themselves in dedicated compartments without car keys, ink pens or other items that could bet fouled up amongst the trigger.
Amen! I mean you only see the "retarded" people involved in these ND's carrying a gun in a fashion other than it was intended for, or they forget safety protocol and screw up that way, or they just plain get careless.. Guns rarely go off when dropped unless you slam the thing down on a hard surface with some Oomph behind it, I highly doubt she slammed the purse down that hard, but Mdawg is right when things push up on the trigger anything can happen...I hate to see people who have had the 12 hr standard class for CCW make these kinds of stupid mistakes, it makes all of us 2A supporters and gun owners look like a bunch of retarded hillbillies with no common sense... Also if your gonna carry a gun spend the money and get a real gun and not some cheap ass hunk of plastic that isn't safe or doesn't have any quality... As one of my friends once said " All you can do with a $100 gun is throw it at your attacker and hope it slows him down while you run for your life."

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
I want to know make and model and was it in a holster? safety on or off?
We must do better.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Davis Model 0-32 Derringer

The weapon was a Davis Model 0-32 Derringer (.32 Cal).

Owner says safety was on, police said no.

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
Sounds like no holster......no holster......no holster...... did I say no holster? A covered trigger will not fire if in a trigger covered holster!!! Safety Folks!!! I bet her lipstick caused the negligent discharge.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
*shakes head*

I must admit these events provoke a healthy laugh from yours truly. I brought my PT99, cocked,locked & ready to rock as the saying goes, to a party. That was not my primary plan, but I made some new friends in an unplanned fashion and when they invite one to an event with ladies present, an unattached male is obliged to attend. I created a new tactical art at that house party, which I summarily term the "bladed dance". I made a note to myself on that evening to go shoulder carry next time should I be blessed with some advance notice, but that night I returned home tired, sweaty, and quite worn out from the successive "electric slides" and techno songs of the night.

On autopilot with my mind on the ladies of the night I suddenly remember -OH.OH CRAP. COCKED PT99.BUSTED A FEW MOVES.

With the care of an action hero disarming a bomb, a careful caress of my carry weapon revealed that indeed it was still cocked with the safety quite firmly engaged.So much for the rumors to the effect that that Taurus was unsafe to carry this way, although the piece was quite coated with surface rust from the night's exercises.

On the next party I carried in my shoulder rig. To share another helpful tactical truth, certain women find a Miami Classic holster to be a turn on.

Returning to topic, firearms of any type do not fire without an intentional effort by the owner. Regardless of how they are carried or which dance move the owner performs.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts