Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I have an update about the 11 yr old brother, The GF and a new addtion, My sister.

Lets start with the GF, I think I got her addicted to reloading. She made her own .357 mag rounds and got to test them out herself.
She settled on some blue dot and some 2400 with me helping her along the way of things. She did forget to charge about 3 rounds but I caught it and helped her fix the error.
After trying them out, She liked 2400 way more better than blue dot in .357!

Next up, My 11 yr old brother.
Went to the range about a week ago and something came over him. Two other gentleman were there and had an AK-47 and a .50 Beowulf with them
He shot there AK-47 after asking to and he tried to rapid fire 30 rounds. He did fine till after 10. He slowed down because the recoil was getting to him
Then, He decided to go to all our guns and shoot every single last one! The G22, My GP100 38 Spcl loads ( ran out of .357 before this ), Both 45 ACP, My Taurus and the 1911.
Also my brothers Sig in 9mm. He then chooses to shoot my fathers .308 and my 30-06. He said he won't shoot my 30-06 anymore because it somehow hit him in the mouth.
I am not aware of how he had it shouldered because I was on the other side shooting. His older brother ( 13 yr old ) was with him at the time.

No, Don't worry. Hes Ok and no blood or anything.

Next up, My sister.

She wants to get her carry permit so we decided to take her to the range so she can see what kind of gun she might like and in what caliber.
Shooting the .22, 10-15 rounds later. She thinks it "Sucks" There isn't enough bang or anything else for her to enjoy it. Heh, No one knows the joy of .22 anymore!
Anyways, The first thing she did right before pulling the trigger is close her eyes and turn her head from the gun! Had to stop her and explain not to do that and help her thru the issue slowly. Next up was my revolver, After just 5 rounds in SA and DA mode, She hated it. Because it hurt her arms. It was to heavy for her. The loads them self were light so she didn't care about that

Next she wants to shoot the 9mm and then the .40. Chambered a few rounds for her and she took her time making sure she followed the rules and then pull the trigger.
After shooting the 9mm, I could see genuine happiness in her face! Like when you first taste ice cream or something. She said she liked that caliber so far out of everything.
She took up the G22 and shot it right fast to see if she liked it and she did. Making sure, She asked what caliber it was, And what gun it was and on and on.

For last, We told her to shoot both of the .45 ACP we brought with us. She took the 1911 first after we explained it would be a bit easier for to handle than the Taurus.
She took the sights in and fired. Right after she did she said "No" right away. She didn't like it much due to the recoil. Told her it understandable, But lets use the last one so you can understand the difference in a short barrel and a polymer handgun VS a full length and steel gun. She shoots one round and instantly did not like it again due to recoil.
All we had was my carrying rounds to shoot so maybe that didn't help any but at the end of it all, She enjoyed the .40 and the .9mm

After we packed up everything up, She started telling us she had fun and would like to do this again sometime and that she is interested in buying herself a 9mm semi-auto pistol.
Heck, She was ready to buy the Sig off the other brother! Haha. So next time I go to the LGS I do frequent, I will take her along with me so she can see what she likes in her choice of caliber.

It was a good day everyone. That makes it three more for the 2A

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Yup. Your sister has good sense.
9mm. or .40.
Same reason I chose the 9mm., mostly because of my age. (over 60)
Accurate and less recoil, ammo less expensive than .40.
(And with DHS buying up all the .40 made for the next 5 years, probably hard to get)
I've never fired a .45, so no idea what that would be like.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, we reload for the .40 so that wouldn't be to much of an issue I would think!
As for the recoil of a .45, It is a push rather than a snap like the .40 has. A 1911 would handle the recoil just fine and you can get back on target quicker than you can with a polymer gun. At least for me anyways, While my Taurus Mil Pro recoils nicely, Some loads do recoil heavily such as factory loads ( yuck! ) but thanks to reloading, I can make some soft shooting loads for range time. Of course, I do practice with my carry load none the less.

Speaking of which, Time to get some new ones.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
What a great post! It sure looks like you are being a great instructor and doing your best to bring others into our sport!

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Revolverfan,

Thanks! :D I try to do the best I can to help them out. I wish I had known about all these sites before that could have helped me along the way!
Or at least someone in person to show me. The only person who knew much was my brother who is younger than me ( 21 ) now

Chich,

It sure was! Gf keeps wanting to go. Sister wants to go the LGS and my brother ( 11 yr old ) Now wants a 9mm hand gun rather than his .22 revolver.
Wants to know if he can trade it in...Pfft, I am keeping that thing for myself at that rate! Haha

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Thanks for sharing the details of what sounds like a very enjoyable day for all concerned. :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts