Taurus Firearm Forum banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Just bought a new stainless G3C and nary a problem with any grain ammo. Of course i did clean the weapon thoroughly and I always make it a point in a new gun to pay extra attention to the barrel with cleanliness and also measure each grain for accuracy. Never a problem with bullet not seating right.

·
Registered
PT 709 Slim G3c
9 Posts
I was in the “never Taurus” camp for decades but decided to try a G3C after reading so many positive reviews and I’m glad I did; it’s been a fantastic little gun. Definitely do a thorough clean and lube before your first outing. I also mildly polished the feed ramp to help my JHP of choice chamber but haven’t had any issues.

Interestingly, shortly after buying the G3C I was chatting with an old military friend who went through the same transformation from “never Taurus” to being a G3C owner … now he has two. Funny thing was we both tried Taurus after becoming disappointed with Ruger’s current pistol offerings.
I love my G3c. I used to carry a 709 slim, but I carry the G3c now.

·
Registered
Taurus G3C, Taurus TX22, S&W Shield 9 EZ
4 Posts
Got my G3C about 4 months ago, and have run about 1200 rounds, both fmy and jhp through it without a problem. Fits well in the hand, and I carry IWB at around the 4 o'clock position, the handle did cause some discomfort at first, but have gotten used to it. Great gun, no regrets.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I almost immediately replaced the recoil assembly and striker guide with stainless from Lakeline LLC, but honestly had no great reason for doing so. My opinion? The number one purchase to make is a Pink Rhino or similar 9mm bore laser with a snap-cap/button on the back. You're buying a budget pistol that has restrike capability. Throw a laser in it and practice endlessly for the cost of two boxes of ammo. Hell, do it for two months before live fire and you might even train away any tendency to pre-control/flinch.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I almost immediately replaced the recoil assembly and striker guide with stainless from Lakeline LLC, but honestly had no great reason for doing so. My opinion? The number one purchase to make is a Pink Rhino or similar 9mm bore laser with a snap-cap/button on the back. You're buying a budget pistol that has restrike capability. Throw a laser in it and practice endlessly for the cost of two boxes of ammo. Hell, do it for two months before live fire and you might even train away any tendency to pre-control/flinch.
Yes, the restrike capability makes the G3C a great gun for laser training. I use it quite a bit with the G Sight system and have even been able to get my wife to use it … she likes the “clang” sound when the app records hits. It’s a good training aid (especially for working on one’s draw) but it won’t replace range time.

·
Super Moderator
41,392 Posts
Well, I've discovered that the chamber is too small for anything but a 115 gr or smaller bullet. The action just will not close on even a 124. I purchased the black barrel from Taurus, partly because I liked the all-black look but also just to see if there was a difference. There was not. I plan on getting a reamer and cleaning it up a bit in the hope that does the trick. If not, it'll either go back to Taurus or a local gunsmith. With two random barrels having this issue and seeing a few posts here on the Forum about not being able to get the slide fully forward, it makes me think there must be an issue on the barrel-making line at the factory. Oh, well, I know I'll get it going sooner or later, but at least I still have my GX4 and pair of .44 Spl Model 431s to keep me company.
My G3C feeds my 124 grain Xtreme handloads fine, but the Brazos 124 coated RN jam the slide , engage the lands and make extracting very difficult . Bullet nose profile and COAL are as critical on the G3C as CZ chambers IMO .

Reactions: ChrisH

·
Registered
26 Posts
Maybe that is the "why" my handloads work so well, as they were tailored to fit into the chambers of my Tanfoglio's and SAR's.
My G3C feeds my 124 grain Xtreme handloads fine, but the Brazos 124 coated RN jam the slide , engage the lands and make extracting very difficult . Bullet nose profile and COAL are as critical on the G3C as CZ chambers IMO .

·
Super Moderator
41,392 Posts
Maybe that is the "why" my handloads work so well, as they were tailored to fit into the chambers of my Tanfoglio's and SAR's.
My Xtreme 124 grain rounds work well in the CZ 75 Compact, SAR b6C and the PT 111 G3C.

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Well, I've discovered that the chamber is too small for anything but a 115 gr or smaller bullet. The action just will not close on even a 124. I purchased the black barrel from Taurus, partly because I liked the all-black look but also just to see if there was a difference. There was not. I plan on getting a reamer and cleaning it up a bit in the hope that does the trick. If not, it'll either go back to Taurus or a local gunsmith. With two random barrels having this issue and seeing a few posts here on the Forum about not being able to get the slide fully forward, it makes me think there must be an issue on the barrel-making line at the factory. Oh, well, I know I'll get it going sooner or later, but at least I still have my GX4 and pair of .44 Spl Model 431s to keep me company.
The only weight bullet mine have had issues with are 147's. The 124's run fine in mine.

·
Registered
37,957 Posts
The only weight bullet mine have had issues with are 147's. The 124's run fine in mine.

generally speaking when you go up in weight for the same diameter projectile (9MM, 40, 10, 45 etc) then more of that weight goes back into the case as opposed to out to lengthen the OAL of the cartridge.
you can only make a cartridge so long before it becomes a problem.
many times its the profile of the projectile that causes the operational problems.

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
generally speaking when you go up in weight for the same diameter projectile (9MM, 40, 10, 45 etc) then more of that weight goes back into the case as opposed to out to lengthen the OAL of the cartridge.
you can only make a cartridge so long before it becomes a problem.
many times its the profile of the projectile that causes the operational problems.
The only 147 grain 9mm rounds I have are the Speer Gold Dots. They don't feed for crap in either of my G3C's. I bought them a couple of years ago. I generally just use 124 grain ammo or lighter.

·
Registered
5,572 Posts
Hopefully not all the G3C's are like that, because that would be a step backward from it's predecessor, the G2C. :( My G2C has fed everything from 50 grains to 147 grains flawlessly.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Anyone notice an accuracy difference between 115g and 124g ammo? I have a G2c, G3c, and a PT111 and they all produce smaller groups with 124g ammo. All of them feed and function just fine with either, but the accuracy difference is noticeable to me.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I had a first time problem with my g3c yesterday. With the slide locked open with no mag in the gun. Insert a mag loaded with Federal fmj. Release the slide and it moves catching a round and pushing it forward. The round hangs at the bottom of the ramp. Actually it does not make it on to the ramp.
The federal fmj is flat nose, flat tip. Not round like Remington. Remington fmj and remington jhp had no problems.
I could insert a loaded mag into the gun with slide closed and then rack a round in with no problem and the gun would cycle every round in the mag.
The hang was only when I inserted the loaded mag into the gun while the slide was locked back and then release the slide using the slide release. Two different mags Same problem.
Anybody had this problem with the g3c?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've had similar problems with the chamber/throat of my G2C barrel being too tight (I think G2C and G3C use the same barrel). Round nose FMJ that does not have an aggresively-tapered bullet nose will stick in the chamber/throat. What makes it even more frustrating is that the same cartridges that stick in the G2C work flawlessly in my GX4.

I've polished my G2C barrel chamber, but it did not help; it's a manufacturing issue that polish can't overcome. Like you, I purchased a black barrel from Taurus, but it had the same problem, so I returned it. My G2C barrel is off being reamed as I type this. I hope to have it back later this week. Fingers crossed that reaming resolves the issue I'm experiencing.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have 3 G series pistols and I have not had any feeding or chamber issues with any of them, they all function and run good. All I have noticed is they all prefer the 124gr ammo accuracy wise, my one G3c had tumbling issues with 115gr ammo but the others no problem at all.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts