Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I’ve been on the fence with purchasing a G3c but found a really good deal locally. It’s on a short layaway as it bought me time to explain to the wife lol
I’ve been handling several new edc options and have considered even more expensive compacts like Sig, Springfield and Smith&Wesson. But I’ve faced all the same issues with all of them fitting my hand correctly…
So In a few short weeks I’ll be the owner of a new G3c . I’ve done my research here and on line and most have been positive ! That said ,before I take possession of this firearm are there some flags I should look for? Problems that only new owners would face ? What’s the most reliable carry ammunition? Are there any parts I should consider replacing to improve reliability and longevity? I’m sorry if this seems redundant to most and I understand it’s a inexpensive firearm but I’ve had a couple of handguns that I should have ask these same questions.
Thank you in advance .

·
Registered
101 Posts
I was in the “never Taurus” camp for decades but decided to try a G3C after reading so many positive reviews and I’m glad I did; it’s been a fantastic little gun. Definitely do a thorough clean and lube before your first outing. I also mildly polished the feed ramp to help my JHP of choice chamber but haven’t had any issues.

Interestingly, shortly after buying the G3C I was chatting with an old military friend who went through the same transformation from “never Taurus” to being a G3C owner … now he has two. Funny thing was we both tried Taurus after becoming disappointed with Ruger’s current pistol offerings.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was in the “never Taurus” camp for decades but decided to try a G3C after reading so many positive reviews and I’m glad I did; it’s been a fantastic little gun. Definitely do a thorough clean and lube before your first outing. I also mildly polished the feed ramp to help my JHP of choice chamber but haven’t had any issues.

Interestingly, shortly after buying the G3C I was chatting with an old military friend who went through the same transformation from “never Taurus” to being a G3C owner … now he has two. Funny thing was we both tried Taurus after becoming disappointed with Ruger’s current pistol offerings.
Well this would be my first Taurus semi
I own a couple of there revolvers with out any issues. You mentioned Ruger and I have always been a big fan of there products I still own several. But for me I can freely eject the magazine in the Taurus with out adjusting my grip , something I couldn’t do with some others .
Thank you for your reply

·
Registered
263 Posts
I had some "Break in" problems with mine at first. The slide would like about 1/4 going back into full battery. Happened a lot. At first I blamed it on ammo. Then someone told me to try flitz on it and it worked great. I still use every couple hundred rounds.
I have bee using Remington, Federal and Blazer ammo with no problems. Both fmj and jhp.
I've heard several people talk about problems at first. But I think break in mostly. If you have problems at first try the flitz. Might save some aggravation
All in All I would say the G3C is a pretty good, no nonsense, reliable gun at a good price.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I picked up a PT111 G2 a few years ago. I thought it looked pretty sharp and felt really good in the hand. For $200 new, I thought I'd give it a try. Even if it turned out to be a piece of junk, I thought it would still look good in the safe. I never trade or sell my guns. As it turned out, it shot like a champ, without a single malfunction. It has an adjustable rear sight, but found it to be dead-on right out of the box. That's the one that got me started on Taurus handguns and landed me on this forum. At such a good price, I couldn't help myself when I got my G3c. I liked the idea of being able to upgrade the sights from a nearly unlimited resource if I wanted, plus I thought the trigger was better. There was nothing wrong with the G2 trigger, but it was different. I like the G3c.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I have one as well. Over a year now. Lots of issues at first. Would not feed hollow point reliably. Even after polishing feed ramp. Front sight kept coming off no matter what I did. Finally just flew off. So, I bought a fiber optic sight for a Glock (along with the Glock screw) and installed it with Loctite Orange. Been fine since. Re, ammo, it still is not 100% reliable with "open nosed" ammo. So I use Hornady in it. 100% with that. With FMJ it's 100% reliable as well. IT was MUCH tighter than my G2S when I got it. But now after 400 rounds or so it's been much more "pleasant". It's now IMO 100% reliable enough to carry. Though more times than not I carry the G2S due to lighter weight and slimmer profile (all very important when you're an old fat guy :D). But, it's nice shooting gun, I love the easy slide manipulation as well. Much easier than my bros M&P which die to a nerve issue I can barely rack. So for the $325 it cost me I'm happy with it

Reactions: Frankiestoys

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have one as well. Over a year now. Lots of issues at first. Would not feed hollow point reliably. Even after polishing feed ramp. Front sight kept coming off no matter what I did. Finally just flew off. So, I bought a fiber optic sight for a Glock (along with the Glock screw) and installed it with Loctite Orange. Been fine since. Re, ammo, it still is not 100% reliable with "open nosed" ammo. So I use Hornady in it. 100% with that. With FMJ it's 100% reliable as well. IT was MUCH tighter than my G2S when I got it. But now after 400 rounds or so it's been much more "pleasant". It's now IMO 100% reliable enough to carry. Though more times than not I carry the G2S due to lighter weight and slimmer profile (all very important when you're an old fat guy :D). But, it's nice shooting gun, I love the easy slide manipulation as well. Much easier than my bros M&P which die to a nerve issue I can barely rack. So for the $325 it cost me I'm happy with it
Yeah I forgot to mention slide manipulation
I sold my shield because it was such a little bear to rack. My arthritis is mostly in my thumbs and so it makes it a little more difficult to squeeze the slide… I can pull back the slides on my 1911’s just fine … I like to run a few hundred rounds myself to insure a guns reliability. I’ve had malfunctions in a levels of quality.
Thank you

·
Registered
95 Posts
I've had my G3c for two years now with not one problem.
When I bring out my guns for the family to shoot, everyone comments how much they like the G3c. One Grandson that has a Ruger LCP commented how much he likes the G3c over his LCP, which he says hurts his hand to shoot more than a couple of rounds.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have a g3c as well. Good little gun. Keep in mind, mine is almost new, I’ve only put about 100 or so rounds through it. But at the range the first day I tried it out of the box without even cleaning it, worked like a champ cycled fine and was accurate.

The only issue I’m having at the moment is that it doesn’t like to cycle hollow points well. If for example I have an open chamber and hollow points in the mag, and try to rack one in, more often than not it willget stuck and I’ll have to drop the mag and give the slide a tug or two so the round can drop. It feeds standard fmj just fine with no issues though. Since it’s newer I am hoping that as I shoot, it will break in and work itself out.

As far as the guy who’s friend has the ruger lcp, I had a ruger ec9s that is basically the same as an lcp with the single stack mag. That gun would sting your hand to shoot because it was small enough with enough kick to mess with you. I put a hogue beavertail grip on mine for 10-15 dollars and it really made that a much easier gun to handle to the point I even got to where I didn’t mind shooting it as much.

·
Registered
7,504 Posts
So I’ve been on the fence with purchasing a G3c but found a really good deal locally. It’s on a short layaway as it bought me time to explain to the wife lol
I’ve been handling several new edc options and have considered even more expensive compacts like Sig, Springfield and Smith&Wesson. But I’ve faced all the same issues with all of them fitting my hand correctly…
So In a few short weeks I’ll be the owner of a new G3c . I’ve done my research here and on line and most have been positive ! That said ,before I take possession of this firearm are there some flags I should look for? Problems that only new owners would face ? What’s the most reliable carry ammunition? Are there any parts I should consider replacing to improve reliability and longevity? I’m sorry if this seems redundant to most and I understand it’s a inexpensive firearm but I’ve had a couple of handguns that I should have ask these same questions.
Thank you in advance .
I've owned a Taurus® G3C since 01/2021 and at present have about 1,800 rounds through it w/ zero malfunctions. The gun came to me dirty from the factory (test fired) and bone dry. I thoroughly cleaned and lubed and it functions with all ammo, 115, 124, and 147gr; FMJ & JHP. I have made one slight modification for comfort. My most favored way to carry is IWB at 4 o'clock and quickly found the stippling on the grip really abraided my skin. I added a Hogue® Handall™ Beavertail grip sleeve to the gun and now all is fine. The overall ergonomics of the gun are perfect for my hand size. THIS IS A GREAT GUN!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I don't have a G3c but do have a PTIII G2 Millennium and upgraded with Lakeline stainless guide rod, striker guide and new springs.

If I do get a G3c it's comforting to know I can move the Lakeline parts from the G2c to the G3c. The magazines will also fit.

Little guns like the sub-compacts don't appeal to me because I can't get three fingers on the grip and they sting my hand. My Taurus PTIII and Ruger SR9c have grips that are comfortable to shoot, so the G3c will probably be my next 9mm.

Both of these pistols have a Loaded Chamber blade which I like because in the event of having to confront an intruder in darkness, it’s reassuring to be sure the chamber is ready to go by just touching the top of the gun.

Air gun Trigger Revolver Gun barrel Gun accessory

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don't have a G3c but do have a PTIII G2 Millennium and upgraded with Lakeline stainless guide rod, striker guide and new springs.

If I do get a G3c it's comforting to know I can move the Lakeline parts from the G2c to the G3c. The magazines will also fit.

Little guns like the sub-compacts don't appeal to me because I can't get three fingers on the grip and they sting my hand. My Taurus PTIII and Ruger SR9c have grips that are comfortable to shoot, so the G3c will probably be my next 9mm.

Both of these pistols have a Loaded Chamber blade which I like because in the event of having to confront an intruder in darkness, it’s reassuring to be sure the chamber is ready to go by just touching the top of the gun.

View attachment 491447
I’ve owned a couple of SR9c pistols
Very reliably and felt good in the hand , sold it to a friend because he liked it more then Me

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've owned my G3c for a couple of months now, IIRC. This time includes zero FTF, FTE, or any failures during firing. The ONLY failures I have had are very recently, with those being ALL when I have been reloading my gun after clearing it for whatever reason (showing to friend/cleaning/whatever) and replacing the magazine/racking/and having the slide jam a bullet into the feed ramp. This only happens with my carry load of the Honey Badger round from Black Hills Ammunition. I have never had this failure with firing, only when racking the slide by hand. After careful inspection of each occurence, I find that the top round in the magazine is following forward, and not getting picked up correctly by the slide....once I remove the magazine, replace the round, tap the back of the magazine to ensure all rounds are completely against the back of the magazine.....everything works fine. I am not throwing out the possibility of the bullet profile being most of the problem, but I haven't taken the expense of testing 100's of rounds of the Honey Badger in my G3c....just a couple of mags without failure.

The only other thing that I have noticed is that my barrel happened to lead pretty badly after firing somewhere in the neighborhood of 75 rounds of my handcast boolits. I haven't yet narrowed this down to either the barrel roughness or the lead composition yet (not having enough time) and have no qualms about the accuracy when shooting lead, just the cleanup really sucks.

Everything else rocks for me. I have changed out the sights for some XS Big Dot nightsights, but otherwise the gun is factory. Possibly the only other modification may be a trigger from Keeptinkering.com....but time will decide that one for me.

·
Registered
148 Posts
".....before I take possession of this firearm are there some flags I should look for? Problems that only new owners would face ? What’s the most reliable carry ammunition? Are there any parts I should consider replacing to improve reliability and longevity? I’m sorry if this seems redundant to most and I understand it’s a inexpensive firearm but I’ve had a couple of handguns that I should have ask these same questions.
Thank you in advance .
Well, I've discovered that the chamber is too small for anything but a 115 gr or smaller bullet. The action just will not close on even a 124. I purchased the black barrel from Taurus, partly because I liked the all-black look but also just to see if there was a difference. There was not. I plan on getting a reamer and cleaning it up a bit in the hope that does the trick. If not, it'll either go back to Taurus or a local gunsmith. With two random barrels having this issue and seeing a few posts here on the Forum about not being able to get the slide fully forward, it makes me think there must be an issue on the barrel-making line at the factory. Oh, well, I know I'll get it going sooner or later, but at least I still have my GX4 and pair of .44 Spl Model 431s to keep me company.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Well, I've discovered that the chamber is too small for anything but a 115 gr or smaller bullet. The action just will not close on even a 124. I purchased the black barrel from Taurus, partly because I liked the all-black look but also just to see if there was a difference. There was not. I plan on getting a reamer and cleaning it up a bit in the hope that does the trick. If not, it'll either go back to Taurus or a local gunsmith. With two random barrels having this issue and seeing a few posts here on the Forum about not being able to get the slide fully forward, it makes me think there must be an issue on the barrel-making line at the factory. Oh, well, I know I'll get it going sooner or later, but at least I still have my GX4 and pair of .44 Spl Model 431s to keep me company.
I would just try a little flitz in the chamber before sending it back or gunsmith. If it doesn't work you lost nothing but a few bucks. If it does you've saved yourself a lot of aggravation and even many more bucks. But, thats up to you.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts