Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys I plan on getting a 1911 with my tax money within the month. I have. Narrowed it down to 3 choices. The pt1911, the ruger 1911 and spring field has one in that range also. I don't know much about this one yet. I reall like the Taurus model, but I really like the fact that the ruger is 100% American made. The only one of these weapons I have held is the Taurus. I haven't shot any of them either. So from these choices what are the pros and cons? This will be my first 1911 so I want it to be a good experience. Thanks guys

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have shot 2 taurus 1911 in my life. The one i currently own had an issue when i first bought it, it was used but taurus replaced barrel for me and had it shipped back to me in 3 days. My buddy's 1911 was the most accurate handgun I have ever fired. Taurus guns perform well, and when there is an issue they fix it for you and ship it overnight at no charge to u other than finding a box to put it in when you send it to miami.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have had the Springfields, and a Taurus 1911 They are both good guns. The Springer is tops over Tauri just because Springfield has the BEST customer service in the industry. I really, really, REALLY want the Ruger SR1911! They are gorgeous looking. I have yet to see one in person though!

·
Registered
9,194 Posts
I've shot a Ruger and a Springfield, have not had the pleasure of shooting the Taurus though. They were smooth shooters and i enjoyed the fact that both had good sights on them. Personally, i bought a Rock Island 1911 for just over $400 brand new and absolutely love it. Changed out a few parts on it and it's getting a new set of sights installed to replace the tiny G.I. sights. There are plenty of good things that will be said about the Taurus 1911, but for me i simply wanted to stick within a lower budget for another .45 caliber handgun.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
My only 1911 is a Taurus. I liked it for the many features not found on others at that price. It loads, points and shoots very well for me. But I'm fairly new at handguns and defer to the elders.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
I've got a PT 1911. It performs as well as any 1911 that I have seen. It's accurate, reliable, and has many features found only on 1911's costing twice as much. That said, I want a Ruger.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
My only 1911 is a Taurus. I liked it for the many features not found on others at that price. It loads, points and shoots very well for me. But I'm fairly new at handguns and defer to the elders.
I'll echo what Mr. Bob (bre346) had to say.

My first, and only, 1911 is my PT1911AL, which shoots a whole lot better than I do.

Ruger and Springfield both make excellent pistols, so I'd say you just about win any way you go.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I have. Narrowed it down to 3 choices. The pt1911, the ruger 1911 and spring field has one in that range also. I don't know much about this one yet. I reall like the Taurus model, but I really like the fact that the ruger is 100% American made. The only one of these weapons I have held is the Taurus. I haven't shot any of them either. So from these choices what are the pros and cons?
THE FACTS
  • All 3 will run.
  • All 3 will be accurate.
  • All 3 companies stand behind their products.
  • None will be what I would call "economical", although less than some others.

You really just need to look them over, decide what you like, see what you can do for price on all 3 & decide which you are most comfortable with. I don't have a Springer or Ruger (yet); I do have a Taurus and multiple Kimbers. I'd buy another Taurus; another Kimber, a Springer or Ruger.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Ok guys I plan on getting a 1911 with my tax money within the month. I have. Narrowed it down to 3 choices. The pt1911, the ruger 1911 and spring field has one in that range also. I don't know much about this one yet. I reall like the Taurus model, but I really like the fact that the ruger is 100% American made. The only one of these weapons I have held is the Taurus. I haven't shot any of them either. So from these choices what are the pros and cons? This will be my first 1911 so I want it to be a good experience. Thanks guys
The first thing you'll learn about The 1911's is that you don't buy 'either this one, or that one', you prioritize. After you get a few rounds out of whichever one you buy first, you'll start wanting another, maybe a Commander or Officer next. :D

Reactions: dogchild

·
Registered
32,150 Posts
Flip a three sided coin!

Reactions: TexasAviator

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Thanks guys keep the opinions comming
Ok. Here is more bait... The PT1911SS was first, although I had shot plenty in the past. Then the MAC Amigo compact 3.5" barrel, and then the Sig P238. Technically the Sig is a 380, but it's a .380ACP, and is 1911-styled. :D

Attachments

·
Registered
977 Posts
Ive got two pt1911's and theyre great but once you buy more than one they start to multiply so dont say we didnt warn you! If I had the money Id buy the ruger in a heartbeat but If I were you Id go with the rock island right now!

·
Registered
597 Posts
Being completly American made is just something we need to get past. I am a proud American just as much as the next guy. The choice is completly yours however, because the great thing about a 1911 is that even though the name stamped on the metal is different, unless you are buying a Colt your just buying a knockoff anyhow. With that said all these guns are going to perform. All these companies are going to stand behind their products. For your first 1911 if thats what it is maybe go with the lower priced Rock Island. You will get experienced with the 1911 platform without breaking the bank and when the time comes to get another 1911 (trust me you will buy another) you will have a much better idea of what features you will be looking for in this platform in a new out of the box weapon.

I absolutely love my PT1911 and trust my life with it but I do wish I had gone with the Rock Island first just to learn the platform on a weapon I wasn't afraid to hurt. I will be buying a Rock Island just to learn/teach myself how to do major and minor work on a gun that Im not afraid to screw up and be willing to be without while a pro smith fixes it. Anyway keep us updated on your decision.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I got the Taurus because it has features other 1911's don't for more or less the same cost.

When it comes to the 1911, you have to realize some countries have been building them for just as long, and just as well as America. Many a Japanese soldier lost his life to the business end of a hand made Philippine 1911. Rock Island Armory is an excellent choice, I plan on getting one of theirs in 9mm.

·
Registered
124 Posts
If you want to get an honest comparison between Taurus and Springfield just read the owner comments on this forum and on the 1911 forum. You will find many comments about problems with Taurus, some of which are fixed by Taurus customer service and some that are not. The most common complaints I've seen on the Taurus are broken extractors and high front sights. Most of the extractor problems appear to have been fixed after sending the gun back to Taurus. Many of the sight issues have not been resolved and it appears, at least to me, that they really have no interest in replacing sights. Following is my experience with Taurus. Note that this is only my experience. Many of the guys on this forum report much better experiences.

I purchased a Taurus in December and discovered several large tool marks in the barrel. I called and was told to send them the old barrel and they would replace it. A month later I hadn't received the new barrel and called them. I was told that yes, that had received the old barrel. When I asked when I could expect the new one they said "Oh. I guess we can release it". It took another two weeks before I received it. How much longer would it have taken if I hadn't called?

After installing the new barrel I took it to the range and discovered it shoots 4" low at 10 yards. That's a pretty common occurrance according to many posters on this forum. I called and was told they would send out a new lower front sight. Called again 2 weeks later and was told it is out of stock. I'm about ready to take a file to it.

I had no prior experience with Taurus when I purchased it so I had no preconceived ideas about it. It was what the dealer had in stock so I bought it.

About 2 months earlier I purchased a new Springfield 1911. It functions perfectly. No problems whatsoever.

Last week I ordered a new 1911 for my wife. Yeah, it's a Springfield.

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
I have both a Ruger SR1911 and a Taurus PT1911, as well as a PT145 Mil Pro.

Putting the PT1911 next to the Ruger SR1911, both assembled and stripped, you will see that the Ruger is better finished.

Both shoot very well, and are more accurate than pistols owned by the snobs that cost twice the price.

IF (the big "IF") you can find someone (individual or dealer) who has both, do your own side-by-side comparison.

The Taurus PT1911 is far more available than the Ruger SR1911, and depending on where you can buy them, they are about the same in price (stainless to stainless).
I paid $569 + tax = $616 out the door a few weeks ago for my Ruger SR1911; the common going price is mostly in the $629 and up range for the SR1911.

If it makes any difference, next week I am going to qualify with my SR1911 so I can carry it on duty; I shoot the PT1911 Stainless as a fun gun, and it gets a lot of admirers at the gun club.

Just to add to your confusion, Cabela's has the new Remington (made in USA) 1911 on sale this month for about the same price as the Taurus. If you are near a Cabela's, go compare them.

Recently, the Cabela's in Allen, TX, had all 3 (but the Rugers very quickly sold out).

·
Registered
515 Posts
I agree take TexasDeputy's advice - but ignore the snob comment. If you can afford a Wilson, Baer, Nighthawk, Brown, high-end Kimber, Springer, Colt, etc. - feel free to go for it & don't feel you are a snob for buying what you want.

One of these days - maybe when I start selling off some of my collection instead of keep adding to it! - I'd like to have a Brown or Wilson. I do have a Kimber Ultra CDP that my wife bought me as a birthday gift years ago. But until I come up with some extra greenbacks one way or another, I'll continue to enjoy buying & shooting the more economically priced 1911 pistols that are on the market. They shoot well!

·
Registered
44 Posts
If I were to get another, it would probably be the ATI commander with beaver tail. If I were to get another full size I'd go with the Rock Island Tactical

1 - 20 of 54 Posts