Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Homemade Kydex IWB holster for PT145

Hi guys.
I just had to brag. I picked up my new PT145 last week, and love it. Already put about 200 rounds through it. I've always been a 1911 guy, and I had a Glock 30 for years that I carried ccw. Well....I traded the Glock off for the cash for the 145 and couldn't find a suitable holster. (I'm a lefty btw.) So I started looking into Kydex and forming your own. Watched some Youtube videos, and after about 30 min's of fiddling with it and reheating and remolding, and a clip from an old Uncle Mikes holster. Below is what I've come up with......I'm sure I'll buy another couple of sheets to modify the design....but I'm very pleased with the results. Its rock solid, draws nicely.... re-holsters easily.
2013-02-08_22-12-27_671[1].jpg 2013-02-08_22-12-19_612[1].jpg

·
Registered
24 Posts
Looks sweet. I have a Fobus that works okay-except-it imprints too much for a good conceal and reholstering is not as..."fluid"...as I would like.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Does look good for a first (or second even) run! I have trouble finding left handed holsters too that do a good job concealing. I'm not a very wide person so a little bit more of a baggy shirt helps. I have one from my Sig .45 that fits pretty well, slightly tight, that I use. Holds it up higher which seems to hide better.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update...
After wearing this holster daily, I couldn't be happier. Its very comfortable, easy on and off, secure.
Now, I did make a press....but all that clamping and unclamping was frustrating me. So basically I used 2 pieces of foam, (The foam didn't seem that critical, any kind will work).. 2 squares of press board, and made a cutout of the gun in a third, and gave it plenty of clearance at the top for a site rail. Heated my Kydex up in the toaster oven for a few minutes at 300 degrees. Took the kydex out and laid it down on the cutout, laid the gun on the kydex and folded it over, covered it with foam, then the top press board, and stood on it for about 2 min's. I used a propane torch to make a few slight adjustments, mostly to the ejection port. It was tight, so i just heated it up a little and pressed it out with my finger. I used a dremel tool to sand the edges. Now, I did this about 5 times, just reheating the Kydex till it flattened back out till I got the results I wanted. It was really much easier than I thought it would be. I suggest anyone that is thinking about this, to give it a try. Feel free to shoot me a msg if you have any questions.

·
Registered
6,559 Posts
Good job. I have made a few trying to get a good design that works for me too. The materials are fairly cheap so its fun to mess with. I am in the process of using kydex to make a brass catcher for my are, based on the design of tacticalbrassrecovery.com's. The kydex parts were easy, sewing up the bag has been a bit of a learning curve for me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good Idea!
I few months back I tried to create one using coat hanger and small laundry bag. It didn't work out how I wanted. I'm going to take a look at that website and give it a shot.
Thanks for the idea!

Good job. I have made a few trying to get a good design that works for me too. The materials are fairly cheap so its fun to mess with. I am in the process of using kydex to make a brass catcher for my are, based on the design of tacticalbrassrecovery.com's. The kydex parts were easy, sewing up the bag has been a bit of a learning curve for me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts