Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
5,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a huge hankering for homemade fries...sooooooooooooo I bought a new (small) deep frier. If I would have bought a full sized one I would be frying up 2 football sized Ore-Idas instead of 1 medium *******. I have no self control.

I got redskins today because I like them in the pork roast I am fixin for dinner tonight. But also because I am trying by trial and eater which type makes the best home fries. Next trip to the store for taters will be for a different variety. Probably Klondike Gold. Then whatever else I need to fry and try...that will be later.

What does/do all y'all think? Do you have a favorite home fried tater type?

I am thinkin the reds have a bit of a taste to them, but if these are stored taters then they will have the slight cellar taste. But they were good.:rating08:

·
Registered
7,293 Posts
Can't say I ever had any red potato fries but I do remember mom slicing up reds and frying them with onions . Just the plain ole russet potatos' are common and are good fried right but I've had some yellow skin and they are good but I think my favorite in fries are just plain ole russets .

·
Registered
5,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can't say I ever had any red potato fries but I do remember mom slicing up reds and frying them with onions . Just the plain ole russet potatos' are common and are good fried right but I've had some yellow skin and they are good but I think my favorite in fries are just plain ole russets .
I always have used russets and you are probably gonna be proved right. They do taste better than the reds....when the reds are used for fries anyway. But I like the reds and yellows and Klondikes for roasts better. And we all know russets make the best bakers.

·
Registered
4,792 Posts
McDonald's use only Russet potatoes and they are the standard that all French fries are judged on. One of their flavor tricks is to add a small amount of beef fat to their deep fryers. MMMM I love French Fries..

·
Registered
5,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
McDonald's use only Russet potatoes and they are the standard that all French fries are judged on. One of their flavor tricks is to add a small amount of beef fat to their deep fryers. MMMM I love French Fries..
I like French Fries better than gettin lays chips. (you thought I was gonna mess that'n up didn't ya? hehehehe)

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
Russets with canola oil and a bit of bacon fat, although I haven't met a spud I didn't like. Fry them at 300° for a few minutes and drain well, crank up the grease to 400° and cook till crispy.

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
They don't add the beef fat anymore because of salad shooters and them healthy eating turds.

·
Registered
5,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will have to try adding some beef fat. I have fried potatoes in burger fat that I saved and it isn't bad. (Tortillas too)

·
Super Moderator
40,495 Posts
Soak them in cold sugar water after you cut them. Drain well, pat dry then fry them. The sugar water helps give them that golden brown look and that nice snap when you break one in half.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Back in the old days when McDonalds used to fry their fries in lard, man those things were some tasty critters. Now, no flavor, but I still get em sometimes.

·
Registered
27,319 Posts
I prefer Michigan whites. Those are potatoes!
A much better texture than russets.

The secret to making great fries is to cut them about two hours ahead of time and let them soak in warm water until ready to cook. There is an enzyme that will convert some of the starch to sugar. That makes 'em crisp up beautifully.
Just remember to towel them dry before popping them in the oil. Much easier than cleaning up afterwards.

Reactions: ozzy and hombre243

·
Registered
5,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The best way to cook fries is in lard.

It is my opinion that the grease is just as important as tater choice.

Sent from my Sony Xperia using Tapatalk 4
Yep, lard is best. I haven't had anything fried in lard in so long i forgot about that. Thanks for the reminder. Next trip to the Mexican grocery I will get some. I like that better than the other stores. Besides, I can get Pork Rinds and hot sauce there that make the other stuff taste like fried pig skin...OOPS...that is almost what rinds are. Without the PS.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Ya'll are killing me... I have been on a low fat diet since November when I found out I have a walnut sized gallstone.
I love all things fried. Especially French fries (Russets with a pinch of Mrs. Dash table blend and a healthy dose of salt) Oh yea... can't have the salt anymore either due to the high blood pressure. Shucks guys this sux:D I'm starving

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
It has been at least 50 years since I have made/had homemade french fries. We used russet potatoes to make them. We had a FF cutter that worked great and did the whole potato in one push of the handle. We had a large deep fat fryer and used Crisco (white grease in a can).
I miss the old days, mostly for the food.

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
It has been at least 50 years since I have made/had homemade french fries. We used russet potatoes to make them. We had a FF cutter that worked great and did the whole potato in one push of the handle. We had a large deep fat fryer and used Crisco (white grease in a can).
I miss the old days, mostly for the food.
Lard is better than Crisco, both for you and for the taste.

BTW, Crisco was created as a lubrication for submarine use! I know, it did make great fries though, lol.

Reactions: hombre243

·
Registered
12,088 Posts
I always love me some french fries!

Reactions: ozzy and hombre243

·
Registered
29,895 Posts
The biggest fad in "fried taters" down here over the last 5 years has been "Fried Sweet Taters".

Garnished with everything from butter & cinnamon, to maple syrup & black pepper.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts