Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.
I just read a great way to make your own snap caps.
I hope I don't offend anyone by sharing this.
Take any of your empty caseings. Drill and tap the primer hole for a plastic screw.
Set a bullet into the case. Screw in the plastic screw. Cut the head off the screw and VOILA! You have a snap cap.
Much cheaper than buying snap caps!
Any comments?

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Try a finish drywall screw & you won't have to cut the head off!!

BW

Reactions: vonzipper

·
Super Moderator
40,577 Posts
I use a glue stick to fill the primer pocket, as it wears down, just remove and refill. Works for me. Since I reload I just add a bullet and can mix them in with live loads and practice jam clearing at the range. I also drill a small hole through the case to make it stick out as a dummy round.

·
Registered
860 Posts
I've considered making some doing the same thing but using steel cases rather than brass. The idea is to easily distinguish between live ammo and training rounds.

·
Registered
9,191 Posts
Painting them up with nail polish also works if you don't want to drill a hole through the cases. Anything you do to identify them isn't really a bad thing.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Great ideals and really appreciate the ideals that everyone that added to this thread. Thanks guys!

I like the ideal on using cheapo steel cases instead of the brass too.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
Plus 1 on the hot glue. That is what I use, or have been using for several years.

·
Registered
46 Posts
You know those moments in life when you see something, and you just slap your forehead for not thinking of it? This is definitely one of those. It's so obvious, it borders on stupid. Very clever suggestions, guys. Thanks for posting the obvious for those of us who somehow missed it.

Guess I should have had a V-8.

·
Registered
7,727 Posts
I used to have a Taurus airlight in .32 H&R Magnum. Nobody makes .32 snap caps, at least none that I've found. Browsing in the office supply section at Chinamart one day, I came across a pack of eraser refills for a mechanical pencil. The eraser diameter was a match for the primer pocket, so I sliced off enough pieces to do a half-dozen. Didn't need to put a bullet in the case so there was no question about live ammo.

Reactions: BBGun
1 - 10 of 10 Posts