1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
This is going to be a tough one. On one hand, the homeowner had young children in the house and can use that in his favor. On the other hand, the perp was not in the house yet and was not armed as far as the homeowner could tell.

Imminent danger at that point---no. Let the guy open the window and come in first.

·
Registered
68 Posts
NYPD said:
This is going to be a tough one. On one hand, the homeowner had young children in the house and can use that in his favor. On the other hand, the perp was not in the house yet and was not armed as far as the homeowner could tell.

Imminent danger at that point---no. Let the guy open the window and come in first.
Ditto, I hate to say it, but he'd better get a darn good lawyer. I have a feeling that the victim will turn out to be the perp. (in the laws eyes.)

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Florida is a "Castle Doctrine" state.

Florida has a law, you may shoot to prevent "Felony Robbery" from occuring in your vehicle or residence.

This shooter is "JUSTIFIED" and he will be fine according to Florida law.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Florida law doesn't just provide for your safety in your own home. We also have a law that protects you if you fire in self-defense off of your property. We do not have a "duty to retreat" like most states. If you are threatened with great bodily injury in public, you are allowed to defend yourself, you do not have to run.

Edit: Glad the homeowner took care of him. Unfortunately, he should have killed him to save us the money on the trial and jailing.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
IMO, based on the news report it was premature to shoot. I hope it works out for the guy.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I'd like to read the follow-up on this story when it comes out, to me it sounds crazy that you'd have to let the perp totally break into your house, allowing him a better chance of harming you or your family, before you can defend your family and property. If the perp was using a crowbar, tire iron, etc. to pry the window open that could be considered a deadly weapon and could cause reasonable fear and a need to defend yourself IMO.

·
Super Moderator
22,418 Posts
According to his wife her husband was a computer nerdie guy that never shot a gun before. So I imagine he was extremely afraid, plus the the children his experience in self defense was none so disparity of force might be on his side However the last sentence that his wife said was something to the effect that she was sorry that someone had to be hurt HUH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
paulrabe78 said:
He should have no problem in court. The guy was trying to get in the house, not retreating. If Joe Horn was not convicted, this guy should not be either.
Different state, different DA. All I'm saying is you never know.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
"If a guy breaks into your home, he ain't there for iced tea" Venus Pax. As NYPD stated every state and jurisdiction has differing views. If this happened in our county it would be a crap shoot as to the outcome. Getting a jury pool not prejudiced by the recent no bill of Joe Horn is a different matter.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
well according to what i read up top the homeowner saw theBG jump over the fence he tried to pry the back door open thinking nobody was home the home owner knew his kids were in the house now tell me if you were the home owner wouldnt you be in fear for your children.IMO he was reasonably in fear for his children.

·
Super Moderator
22,418 Posts
Let me get this straight a guy that does not know how to shoot a gun has two girls 6 and 8 running around the house and he has a loaded gun in his nightstand and no defense skills. If he gets off for the shooting he needs slapped upside his head for the gun in reach of children. And no knowledge of how to use it. And while they are slapping him they need to slap the wife for saying she was sorry a guy with 32 arrest against him got hurt. ARRRRRGGGG!

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
32 Arrests in 12 years damn thats alot.i still dont understand how someone buys a gun and dosnt learn how to use it and this was the first time he ever shot a gun.

·
Administrator
36,015 Posts
Guess Fla is not a '3 strikes and you're out' state, like Texas......be careful, Vegas, depending on the liberal media to give you an accurate read on this situation.....they have their own agenda and I'd rather wait for some other word to come out on exactly what happened......

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
depending on the liberal media to give you an accurate read on this situation.....they have their own agenda and I'd rather wait for some other word to come out on exactly what happened......
all south florida print is VERY liberal....doesnt sound right that it was his first time shooting a gun, he was able to hit the guy??? though he is an idiot for having the gun in a night stand with children in the home, and i agree the wife is an idiot as well. he comment was very liberal IMO.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
texastaurusguy said:
be careful, Vegas, depending on the liberal media to give you an accurate read on this situation
I am aware of that potential. I was only commenting on the story as it was given.

The way the story comes across to me is he shot the guy through a glass window without warning before the BG gained access to his home. Nothing in the story suggested the BG had a gun. If that is the case, in that specific moment in time the BG did not pose an imminent threat, IMO. A potential threat, yes, but not immenent one.

If it were me I would have pointed my gun at the BG's face and yelled a warning to stop (and watched him p**s his pants).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.