Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After months of trying and failing to get in on time, I finally scored some Small Pistol Primers from Midway!!

Time and time again I had received email alerts when any one of several different brands would arrive and I never was fast enough. And that's having my phone right here at work and checking every email that comes in just hoping it's from Midway. Now, I've been very quick, like less than a minute of getting logged in and stock was gone already, and in fact I think it was only two days ago it happened to me last with some CCI. And a couple of times have even had them in my cart and by the time I got done with the order and hit preview, it would say sorry you have nothing in your cart, and if you did, we wouldn't even let you back-order it. :bang:

But finally, today I got in and through the checkout ahead of someone!

And now I'm proud to say... I have a box of 5,000 Winchester Small Pistol Primers with my name on them!! And their gonna be heading my way! :eek:

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
You lucky dog. Same thing keeps happening with me. At least I know who beat me this time. Congrats!

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
LOL... they haven't arrived yet! Don't ban me unless they arrive!!

Thanks for the congratulations..

The office pooled together for some lottery tickets for tonight... I told my wife, if I can win some SPP's then we can win the lottery... stay tuned!! :)

·
Registered
15,357 Posts
What are these SPP's of which you speak?

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
Yeah, I'm looking for some too. Congrats on your find!!! :thumb:

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
Yeah, I'm looking for some too. Congrats on your find!!! :thumb:
Have you ever tried using SRP instead? I been using them for a very long time and they make no noticeable difference in anything I have ever tried them in from .380 to .357 mag....

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry to have beaten you TaurusArmed folks to the primers.

And now not being able set an email notification, it now appears to be even more impossible to get ahold of. :mad:

Thanks for all the congrats though, it is appreciated. And good luck to those still looking!

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

·
Super Moderator
40,690 Posts
Sorry to have beaten you TaurusArmed folks to the primers....
I am glad you got them, and hope they will get put to good use instead of sold for a high profit somewhere else.

·
Registered
37,064 Posts
well the 5,000 is worth the shipping and haz mat, thats what i was going to ask was how many did Midway have the limit at?
As generally its about a 40 dollar Haz mat/shipping for me here from midway or powder valley if they have a 2-3 thousand limit on primers it not worth it, same with powder if only a few pounds then i can buy it cheaper here with the 40 bucks.
No doubt to me that the small primers are the hard thing to find!
Heck i can get large pistol CCI primers at the local gunshop for 40 per K, I may just ween off the 9MM, 380, 38 Super and change to the 10MM and 45 acp if it continues!
I have had hit/miss with the e mail notifications on projectiles, i did score 1000 .451 projectiles a few days back!
congrats on the catch!

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Have you ever tried using SRP instead? I been using them for a very long time and they make no noticeable difference in anything I have ever tried them in from .380 to .357 mag....
When I was having trouble finding SPP I used SRPs in my standard competition loads and ran them through a chrono. The 147 9mm were 39 fps average faster with SRP and 40 S&W 180s were lower to the point of being negligible - 15 fps or less a variable that often happens with pistol rounds regardless.

I've read that the cup/case on SRPs may be a a mil thicker and that light striking pistols might be at higher risk for a FTF - zero in my tests. Once the loads were tested I started finding SPP locally - still am NOW SRPs have dried up but fortunately I'm good now in both areas and have a bit more field knowledge as well.

I read more than one account of shooters using ONLY SRPs so they had one less thing to worry about.

It is my understanding that small pistol magnum primers can also be used in place of SPPs AND that they rank slightly above SRPs in power factor. SPP (lowest charge), SRP (middle), SPM (most power of the 3)- I'll do that test eventually as well...

Not a recommendation - just a recollection of my personal experience in the area.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The limit appeared to be a case of 5000. After the order went through I circled back around to try to put another one in my cart, not that I was going to buy one but just to see if it showed out of stock yet. But it wouldn't let me put one in the cart and gave me a message about limiting the amount one person could buy so that others had a chance to purchase. But I did log back out and came back as a guest and they were gone. So again... they didn't last long.

Oh and no they won't get sold by me.

It's like when I bought my latest PT145 from someone off of armslist. I made an offer below the price he had on the weapon and he rejected it. So I sat there and contemplated my next move. I was super close to offering some ammo, 9mm or 22 lr, but started thinking that hell money is a lot easier to come by then ammo. So I texted him back and said I'd pay his price. I can get more money but may not get more ammo!

If that doesn't show that lead is worth more than cash...

Reactions: Wolf1477
1 - 14 of 14 Posts