Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting lost in what this one says. What the holster sites say. You probably know the drill. Also which compact grip to replace the factory ones, that do not work for me, due to my finger getting up behind the trigger guard too much.

I can only afford the cheaper holsters. Fobus is one, Uncle Mikes, and such as that.

But here is the problem. Some on this forum have said you use a K frame holster for the 461's. Other places I have seen people say it is closer to a J frame.

When I contact Fobus direct, I was told that possibly the holster "TA85" made for the Rossi 38 series, 351,352, etc. might work. But they did not know for sure. The only other one they have is for a model 88 that apparently was a prior to Braztech taking over.

MidwayUSA, and a couple other sites I have looked at only show the 66, or 88 but not very many show up when you check it.

So does anyone know for sure if it is better to get a K Frame model holster, or see if the Xtra round in the cylinder makes it too large for the Fobus TA85.

Has anyone changed the grips to the Hogue line and know what fits, I prefer the one that completely covers the grip, like the Ribber does, or like the Hogue I bought for my JUDGE. the little ridge on the factory ones will have to be ground down front and rear if I cannot find which Hogue goes over it correctly.

I do have emails out to both Fobus and Hogue looking for answers, but they are slow in response.

HELP ME!!!

·
Super Moderator
35,283 Posts
Think Colt D frame

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, well I finally broke down and ordered the J357 model that is supposedly as close as I can get from Fobus.

Honestly, I have no Idea what the H, a Colt D frame would be like. I did not buy a new gun in over 40 years, and bought 4 in 6 months. Do you think I went nutz, the wife does. I am looking at another one, but hopefully the mania will pass.

We will see this week if I wasted $40 bucks, because I ordered the Fobus Roto holster, paddle and belt.

·
Registered
987 Posts
That's why we all have big boxes in the bottom of our closets.

AFS

·
Super Moderator
35,283 Posts
D frame colt, the old, old 6 shot .38 dick special.

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
NativeTexan said:
D frame colt, the old, old 6 shot .38 dick special.
Yeah, that I understood, but had nothing to compare it with size wise for a holster. Apparently from what I have been reading and have been told it should be slightly larger than the current J frame, and slightly smaller than the K frame. Amazes me that different company's can put 5 shot, 6 shot, 7 shot and 8 shot revolvers out, without advising the main manufacturers of support equipment what the heck size they are, and providing the mockups that can be used to make that equipment. Of course I did hear a rep from Taurus say, that before the first new models hit the gun shops, major suppliers are given blanks to produce holsters.

Sounds like either the holster makers do not keep up with R&D, or the gun makers are lying out their butt. Heck, with the volume of guns being sold, I would think that any major supplier of equipment would want to say "HEY LOOK AT ME, I HAVE OR WILL HAVE BY (date) EQUIPMENT TO FIT THE LATEST ISSUE"
If they got orders, or dealers started asking for items that they would react. I am talking about even Mil Pro's, 24/7's, Taurus revolvers (newer models or even the JUDGE).

Now you research for information, and the only ones who make anything are the high dollar suppliers (which some us old goats cannot afford on our budgets). I would love the custom holsters my son has for his 357, Shoulder, Belt, SMOB, IWB. He probably spent from a low of $100 to a high of $2 to 300 per on some of this stuff.

I am ranting arn't I! Gee, I should get a life!! But it is cold, been snowing, I did not sleep well last nite, and I still have to go shovel the horse crap.

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
dbsoundguy said:
Hey Robby, i know this is late, but you might check out this site.
http://simplyrugged.com/index.html
They make holsters, if that one does not work ;)
Well if anyone is looking later, for rossi 461 holster, do not buy the fobus J357. The gun will not fit into the holster at all. Apparently the 6th round makes the cylinder just a bit too large to be able to insert it. The only other one they showed was for a 4" revolver in K Frame, or another 2" 38 Rossi, that only holds 5 rounds.
At least they have a return policy, so it should only cost me about $2.50 to return it. Looks like I wind up with a leather holster whether I want one or not.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
too bad, i was hoping you were on to something. guess i'll stick with my slightly loose galco, best thing i've found so far

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Actually since that post from last year, I found out the some Don Hume holsters made for the Taurus, 65, 66, or 85 will fit. The ones for the 85 are tight, but you can stretch them, using the plastic bag trick, and leaving them in over night, or longer.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Robby said:
Actually since that post from last year, I found out the some Don Hume holsters made for the Taurus, 65, 66, or 85 will fit. The ones for the 85 are tight, but you can stretch them, using the plastic bag trick, and leaving them in over night, or longer.
link?

·
Registered
37 Posts
did "we" decide that thre wasn't a fobus? My new 462 ss doesn't want to be all pocketed all the time, like around here on the farm, on the hip, guns keep door-to-door people from being to pushy, or even to frequent. I was in a long email corresponence with fobus about a judge holster, they didn't care one bit. I don't like the release on Blackhawks. I have a protech (I think) and some other nylon brand but really like fobus.

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ajzent I carry my 461, in a Don Hume 710, but it will fit the cheaper JIT (for an 85, 605, or 905).

So a leather model with paddle, or belt for those, that does not have a metal band keeping the opening extra solid will work for the 462. I do not have one with the metal band at the top of the holster, to allow for easier reholstering, and have found that I really do not need it, unless I lay on the holster while the gun is not in it.

The 710 and the JIT stay open for easily putting the gun back in, without having to look, or hold open the holster.

·
Registered
37 Posts
did someone sometime the ruger sp101 fobus would work for a rossi 462? Both 6 shots I believe

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I checked with them last year, and at my last contact, about June 08 they had nothing that fit the 461 or 462. I tried several of their holsters, and had to return them, but I do not remember for sure about the sp101 models. I think I just gave up trying after about 3 that did not fit.

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
In the Galco line of holsters, Actually no matter the # of Rd, my 6 shot Rossi 357, fits the same holster as my son's SP101 357 5 rd. I know because I carried it in there to test it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts