Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help! Ever since I got my replacement holster I sound like an old wooden ship every time I take a step. My girlfriend says it sounds like two pieces of wood going at it! I've heard baby powder works to stop it. Is that the best remedy?

·
Registered
9,194 Posts
What's the holster made out of?

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Here is a little bit of advise from Andy Arratoonian , one of the world's premier makers of horsehide holsters:

Holsters must, by necessity, provide a snug fit for purposes of retention. However, if you find the fit a bit TOO snug, there are two very simple solutions:

1.) Spray the INSIDE of the holster with a SHORT BURST of silicone spray lubricant or with Teflon dry lubricant spray. You'll be amazed at the results!

2.) FIRST MAKE SURE THE WEAPON IS UNLOADED, then wrap it in a polythene bag (the one the holster came in would be eminently suitable) and push it completely into the holster. The thickness of the polythene will ease and stretch the leather the few thousandths of an inch necessary to allow for a better weapon-to-holster fit, whilst at the same time providing a lubricating sleeve and allowing the weapon to be easily removed. Repeat the process, if necessary, until you achieve the fit you require, then dump the polythene. However, remember not to stretch the holster TOO much as this will compromise weapon retention.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here is a little bit of advise from Andy Arratoonian , one of the world's premier makers of horsehide holsters:

Holsters must, by necessity, provide a snug fit for purposes of retention. However, if you find the fit a bit TOO snug, there are two very simple solutions:

1.) Spray the INSIDE of the holster with a SHORT BURST of silicone spray lubricant or with Teflon dry lubricant spray. You'll be amazed at the results!

2.) FIRST MAKE SURE THE WEAPON IS UNLOADED, then wrap it in a polythene bag (the one the holster came in would be eminently suitable) and push it completely into the holster. The thickness of the polythene will ease and stretch the leather the few thousandths of an inch necessary to allow for a better weapon-to-holster fit, whilst at the same time providing a lubricating sleeve and allowing the weapon to be easily removed. Repeat the process, if necessary, until you achieve the fit you require, then dump the polythene. However, remember not to stretch the holster TOO much as this will compromise weapon retention.

That's great advice however my problem originates from the area where the belt clips make contact with the horse hide.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
He's the one who told me about the baby powder. Just thought if I'd see if you guys tried anything else that works.

·
Registered
29,777 Posts
My girlfriend says it sounds like two pieces of wood going at it!
Just tell everyone you are an environmentalist and its your way of reminding yourself daily to save the rain forest! By voicing even hollow support for the environmental movement you will get a free pass for your transgressions. Hollywood stars have used this trick for years! :D

As far as real solutions that would actually work to stop the noise... I'd just say lots of wear...

·
10,379 Posts
My CBST did that for a while too. You sure it's where the clips cover the belt and not where the clips join the holster? Mine was squeaking from the little rubber washers they used to gap the clip from the holster to make it tuckable. A lil dab of veggie oil on the front and back sides of the rubber washer and everything's copacetic and quiet.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My CBST did that for a while too. You sure it's where the clips cover the belt and not where the clips join the holster? Mine was squeaking from the little rubber washers they used to gap the clip from the holster to make it tuckable. A lil dab of veggie oil on the front and back sides of the rubber washer and everything's copacetic and quiet.
I'm pretty sure but I'll try the veggie oil just in case.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
mine did that for a while.

Go the baby powder route, it worked for me. I used gold bond, because I don't have baby powder laying around, but a little dash on the contact points between leather and metal maybe rub it in a little, and after a couple of days no squeak.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
WD40, right up there with duct tape on the fix anything list!

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
When I got my Thies holster it squeaked some, I just used baby powder every few days until it broke in. I would shake some in and turn the holster around until powder got all around the contact area of the belt clip and then I would dump the rest out and wipe it out so powder did not get all over my gun.

Reactions: 91 whiskey

·
Registered
540 Posts
I figure it's leather. Leather squeaks and creaks. No one has asked me about it yet, so I'm not concerned as long as the little woman and daughter don't care.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts