Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've asked this question before, but with a number of new members onboard, I'll try it again. Last spring ('07) I purchased a Taurus 617, 2", 7 shot, .357 mag. It is a very good gun, one I would have no problem using to defend my life. My problem is, I'm having difficulty finding a holster that works well. I presently use an Uncle Mike's belt-slide nylon rig, which holds it okay, but I'm not able to re-holster with it.

Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced leather OWB holster? I've been searching the net, and perhaps found one, a Bianchi for about $50. I'll probably order one of those, but I'm looking for other options. Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
pioneer461 said:
I've asked this question before, but with a number of new members onboard, I'll try it again. Last spring ('07) I purchased a Taurus 617, 2", 7 shot, .357 mag. It is a very good gun, one I would have no problem using to defend my life. My problem is, I'm having difficulty finding a holster that works well. I presently use an Uncle Mike's belt-slide nylon rig, which holds it okay, but I'm not able to re-holster with it.

Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced leather OWB holster? I've been searching the net, and perhaps found one, a Bianchi for about $50. I'll probably order one of those, but I'm looking for other options. Any help appreciated.

Part of the problem is that no other manufacturer produces a revolver of the same size as the Taurus® Compact frame. Holster Makers list a product made for a K/L frame S&W® as being suitable for a Taurus® 617 & it's not. I have a Galco® Silhouette High Ride Holster (SIL114B) that is supposed to work but really does'nt. (Works great for my K/L frame S&W®'s but is way too loose for the Taurus®). To get a good, well fitting, leather holster for your 617 you will probably have to have one custom made.

What size Uncle Mike's® Belt Slide Cordura holster are you using? Size "0" seems to work the best for a Compact Frame Taurus®.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Definitely the Bianchi Shadow (Leather---OWB). I have it for my 817UL and it fits like a glove. The one I got was basically broken in without me doing a thing. (Yes it was brand new) Here's the link to where I got it---It's $45.83+shipping:

http://www.copsplus.com/prodnum2878.php

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
NYPD in AZ said:
Definitely the Bianchi Shadow (Leather---OWB). I have it for my 817UL and it fits like a glove. The one I got was basically broken in without me doing a thing. (Yes it was brand new) Here's the link to where I got it---It's $45.83+shipping:

http://www.copsplus.com/prodnum2878.php
Thanks, I'll have to get one!

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What size Uncle Mike's® Belt Slide Cordura holster are you using? Size "0" seems to work the best for a Compact Frame Taurus®.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'm using an Uncle Mikes size 0 now. Rides great, holds the gun securely. Problem is in reholstering after a string of fire. I've discovered the Bianchi, and Ross makes one for the 617. I'll probably go with one of those. More stuff for my "archive" of holsters in storage. 8)

Thanks.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I also have a 617 but I would like a paddle holster. I have searched the web and except for 150 to 180 dollar custom made I can't seem to find one?
Any help ?

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I finally decided, and ordered a Bianchi, which is made for that model.

kd4iea, I like paddle holsters too, but could not find one. Good luck.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
pioneer461 said:
I finally decided, and ordered a Bianchi, which is made for that model.
Good choice....a nice piece of leather and a great holster in my opinion.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts