Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone attached a holster to the headliner of their vehicle? If so, how? Patty is looking for a way to keep her weapon secure and readily accessible while she's driving her truck. She usually keeps it on her waist, but she would like to be able to secure it in the truck, but have it immediately available. On the headliner seems like the perfect solution for her.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
I never have passengers, so I just wrap a gun purse over the passenger side headrest and have it sit on the seat. That way f I get rear ended it won't end up on the floor boards out of reach. Of course you'd have to hide the purse it if you leave the car if you aren't taking it with you. I've thought about rigging something up in the center console, but it's not an easy access in my particular vehicle.

·
Registered
9,166 Posts
Here's how I carry in my van, I wrapped an old shoulder rig around the seat. It came with my P-64 and was uncomfortable to wear, so this was the best possible use for it. Personally, I would recommend a holster that you can hook onto the underside of the steering column. Just in case there is an accident, there's less chance of the gun flying out of there than the headliner.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I never have passengers, so I just wrap a gun purse over the passenger side headrest and have it sit on the seat. That way f I get rear ended it won't end up on the floor boards out of reach. Of course you'd have to hide the purse it if you leave the car if you aren't taking it with you. I've thought about rigging something up in the center console, but it's not an easy access in my particular vehicle.
That's a pretty good idea! :)

Here's how I carry in my van, I wrapped an old shoulder rig around the seat. It came with my P-64 and was uncomfortable to wear, so this was the best possible use for it. Personally, I would recommend a holster that you can hook onto the underside of the steering column. Just in case there is an accident, there's less chance of the gun flying out of there than the headliner.
That looks like it works great for you. Patty's truck has a center console with cup holders in front of that. This may take some real thought. I'm dizzy already! :D

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
And, if you buy a black purse, and have tinted windows in the back, you can just swing the purse around to the back of the seat when you aren't using it, and no one will be able to see it. Works great for me.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wonder if she'd be able to reach it from the passenger side? She's kind of short and it's a full sized truck. I think we need to do some experimenting. :)

·
22,027 Posts
I made a holster for a friend that mounted to the drivers side of the center console, by his right shin. In a truck, that location would be almost impossible to see when the truck is parked. It's more secure and less obtrusive than the headliner would be.

DSC03735.jpg

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
Beautiful holster, GhostHorse. As to the op, I attached a nylon belt holster to the center seatbelt and tucked it under the center consol. Easy to reach, but probably not as secure as other ideas.

·
Registered
9,166 Posts
IMSMC, someone on here made one using what looked like an Uncle Mike's holster and a dog collar to attach to the steering column. Or maybe it was in the Facebook group I'm also in, hard to remember where I've seen stuff at anymore.

Reactions: WartHog354

·
Registered
4,745 Posts

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Need to see a few pics of the interior to determine options. Being a truck, one option is installing one of those storage shelves above the windshield if one is made for that model. Is it a bench seat, buckets, split, etc? Left hand / right hand? Here's a few options. https://www.google.com/search?q=car...MsabNqmDhOAC&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAg&biw=1248&bih=610
That's allot of different ideas. Thanks. :) It is a full sized Chevy with a big center console that is a part of the seat. Like I said earlier Patty is shorter (5'2") and sits pretty close to the wheel. Under the wheel is out cause it'll hit her knee. Same with in front of the seat since she'd probably have a hard time drawing the weapon. In the console it would be hard for her to get it open and draw the weapon. Make ya hmmm?

·
Super Moderator
40,475 Posts
Keep in mind state laws on brandishing/open carry. If it can be seen can you be in trouble?

·
Banned
860 Posts
Hanging something on the headliner will pull the headliner down and sag. Then it will need to be repaired or replaced. Best to find some thing lower to attach the holster to. In my car I mounted a holster inside the center console. It is out of sight there and quick to access there.

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
Here are a few examples I found by Googlling.

·
Registered
9,166 Posts
I've done at least three of those in combination with the holster beside the seat.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts