Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I'm looking into my first holster for my PT 709 and after reading the vast amount of reviews on here and knowing you get what you pay for I've narrowed it down to two holsters: the Comp-tec MTAC or Crossbreed Supertuck. I'm looking for a comfortable tuckable iwb holster that conceals well. I plan to wear it at about four o'clock. Also, if anyone has specifics as to how it fits a large boy like myself (6' 220) I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
I don't know if I'd ever try a different holster after my Supertuck. I'm 5'-10" almost and just over 200 lbs and wear my Crossbreed and PT145 at 4:00. It is very comfortable. Sitting, standing or doing whatever? I think the 709 of yours would be even better as I'm sure it's even smaller than my 145.

The Crossbreed was my first, and I ordered it after sending my CCH application in and the holster showed up a couple weeks ahead of my license so I spent some time breaking it in around the house. Also I upgraded to the horse hide and it doesn't seem to get sweaty or anything. It also feels very buttery, like slick, smooth, with no sticking, as I also most always wear it against my skin.

And just in case you're interested, I also bought one of Crossbreeds gun belts at the same time. I have never had another gun belt but this is one fine belt to go along with the holster.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your information, I was thinking about getting the horse hide too as I get hot and sweaty fairly easy. My biggest worry is while sitting so knowing yours is comfortable while sitting is great as the 709 is what they say "slim". How is it while having a shirt tucked in? My job requires business dress so I will spend a lot of time having shirts tucked in.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
I haven't had a real reason too tuck in but have done it to try it is all. You only have about 3 or 4" of tuck available. But that allows a blousing effect which also helps to eliminate printing.

So as far as tucking goes as far as I know, the supertuck could be first or last place... but it does work.

Let me know what you end up going with and how it works for you.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have an Old Faithful, I chose it because of the materials used and the warranty. I have no experience with other holsters but I can say that the OF was comfortable the first time I put it on and by day 2 I was able to forget I had it on for short periods of time. Whether you choose OF or not, you should check them out as they are quality materials.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
I have very limited experience in actual 'carry' time. (4 days) So the people on here with much more experience may override what I have to say.
But . . .
I think a lot of carry is dependant on the activity you intend on doing.
For myself I too have to have tucked shirts. However I have no need (or desire) to carry during my job. So as soon as I get to my work bench, off comes the gun. What is a bigger issue (for me) is driving to work. I always wear my seatbelt. I needed a comfortable holster/position to 'do' the drive.
What seems to be working for me is a Blackhawk #5 at the 12:30 position. (PT111 by the way) Much farther to the right it hits my pants loop (1:00). Beyond 1:00 the seatbelt starts to press on the grip which forces the barrel deeper into my gut.
If I go farther to the 11:00 direction the grip starts to stick out. "Are you just happy to see me?" effect.
If I go to the 3:00 position it hits the seatbelt clip and digs into me.
Beyond 3:00 it just plain digs in when I sit, car or otherwise.

So I recommend sticking yours inside your belt and start sitting. See where it might dig in or stick out. I expect to add another method/hoslter just like everyone else. Summer is comming and I do ditch two wheels in favor of open air, dog barks and bugs. So I'm thinking of a 'camera bag' type carry. Helmet holster . . hmmmmm Maybe theres a way to . . . I'll have to get back with you on that one.

·
Registered
4,790 Posts
I got the CB Supertuck for my Mil Pro111....I have never liked it. Just too big and bulky. (I am 5-9, 180)

Look at a UBG Striker for IWB, and Regulator for OWB. Both run about $70 and are hand made....fine leather holsters. I conceal carry the OWB Regulator just about every day.
UBG Holsters

Then there is Winthrop-for about $55
WinthropHolsters: IWB Holster(Inside the Waistband)

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
The belt is still in great shape after two years of constant wear. And best of all the belt and holster almost feel as if they were made for each other... :)

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
119 Posts
I'm a bigger guy, too; 6'4'' and 245. I bought a Theis holster for my PT845 a week ago, first carry gun and holster. The Theis is very similar to the supertuck, I think. The longest I've had it on for so far is about 2 hours at a time, and the longest time in the car at about 40 minutes straight. I am still playing with cant and position, but on day two it was already pretty comfortable considering that I'm carrying a large frame pistol. All Theis holsters are made by one guy who you can contact with questions, he sends you info on what to expect and how to break it in, and they come with lifetime warantee and two week return policy. It cost me $65 delivered to the door, and I'm pretty happy.

And, he's a supporting vendor on the forum!

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Remora clip less IWB holster best and most comfy I tried got the one with full sweat shield and they have a special right now if you spend 35 bucks you get a free standard holster of the same size so you get like 2 for 1 can't beat that.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
From where I sit, kydex/leather hybrids have several major advantages. First, the big leather backer provides a bit of padding and spreads the load out. That big piece of leather with clips on both ends also resists the twisting that's so prevalent in small IWB holsters - the pistol will stay in it's proper orientation without any 'rocking back and forth.' The kydex holds it's shape such that, when the pistol is drawn, your belt never moves. It holds it open, and that makes it much easier to reholster one-handed. It also keeps your belt from going suddenly loose and winding up with your pants down around your ankles. :D If you ever find yourself in a position where you have to leave your cc in the car, you'll appreciate that feature. And due to the molding of the kydex it retains the firearm without the need for anything over the top of the pistol. And these things hold true whether you get a Crossbreed, a Theis, or you make your own. Gonna need pants one size bigger than normal, though...

·
Banned
401 Posts
Howdy protect,

I'm a bigger guy, too; 6'4'' and 245. I bought a Theis holster for my PT845 a week ago, first carry gun and holster. The Theis is very similar to the supertuck, I think. The longest I've had it on for so far is about 2 hours at a time, and the longest time in the car at about 40 minutes straight. I am still playing with cant and position, but on day two it was already pretty comfortable considering that I'm carrying a large frame pistol. All Theis holsters are made by one guy who you can contact with questions, he sends you info on what to expect and how to break it in, and they come with lifetime warantee and two week return policy. It cost me $65 delivered to the door, and I'm pretty happy.

I have a PT 845 myself and I carry it at 3:00 OWB in a Glock Sport holster. I've worn it like this for as much as 16hrs in one day and numerous times I have worn it for +12hrs including several +2hr car rides.

Ive been carry handguns for over 31 years ( I'm 48yo ) and to me OWB at 3:00 is the prefect place/way to carry a handgun.

I'm 6' 1" and 260lbs. When I say I'm 6' 1" I do mean 6' 1" aka 73". I'm not one of the guys that's 5' 9" tall and "claimed" to be 6' 1".

Paul

·
Registered
147 Posts
PsyArcher

I have used a Simply Rugged Cuda for over a year now & it's one of my most used holsters.
It is able to be used as an IWB or a OWB by the use of the inside out straps. It's a pancake style holster that is very high quality. I think Rob can make one for most any handgun. Check out his web site. If you do decide to try one be sure to order the inside out straps. It's able to be worn strong side or crossdraw also. I am 6'3" & 215lb it's a very comfortable holster for me.

Simply Rugged Holsters ? Holsters, Gun Belts, Ammo Pouches and Accessories

·
Registered
119 Posts
Howdy protect,

I have a PT 845 myself and I carry it at 3:00 OWB in a Glock Sport holster. I've worn it like this for as much as 16hrs in one day and numerous times I have worn it for +12hrs including several +2hr car rides.

Ive been carry handguns for over 31 years ( I'm 48yo ) and to me OWB at 3:00 is the prefect place/way to carry a handgun.

I'm 6' 1" and 260lbs. When I say I'm 6' 1" I do mean 6' 1" aka 73". I'm not one of the guys that's 5' 9" tall and "claimed" to be 6' 1".

Paul
Hello, Paul.

That's good to know. I've been thinking that I need an OWB holster for when I'm out at the farm creating holes in paper and dead appliances (I call it ******* recycling). I would like to carry OWB instead of IWB purely for comfort reasons, but for now I think not having anyone know is the better option for me.

And I am actually 6'4'', but I like to tell people that I'm 5'16'' just to see their reactions.:confused: Messing with peoples' heads is fun.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
I used to be 6'1" - no joke. I always heard that once you hit forty you start to shrink. Know what? It's true. I made the mistake of using the height measuring thing in the doctor's office the last time mom and I were there, and I'm now 5'11". I deleted a rather loud expletive when I read that on the scale, and every head in the doctor's office snapped around. :D Enjoy that height while you've got it! :D

·
Registered
7,548 Posts

I second that, very pleased

1 - 20 of 32 Posts