Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Team, I was CCW in a place where, although legal, if discovered could cause me to lose my situation.

A female colleague of mine who is a "hugger" kind of grabbed me yesterday and, if her grip had been a touch lower, would have certainly recognized a "hardness" where it wouldn't have been appropriate - my back at the waistline (sorry, pervos - you're not going to get me to go there).

Although she knows my views and that I carry, it may have caused a controversy.

What kind of holster is deep enough for concealment in an environment which CCW is frowned upon? Defender? Thunderwear? Ankle?

Gun = PT809c. Current holster = Old Faithful (and it's FANTASTIC!!)

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
That's actually an issue that I have never thoguht of before. I suppose that it could cause some issues with people who are opposed to firearms if they didn't know, but found out that you carry. It seems to me that of the ones you mentioned, ankle would be the best. If she's hugging your ankles, then something weird is going on! :D

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I used a trimmed down CBST to carry my 24/7 Pro C @ 1:30- 2:30. (AIWB)

I get hugged all the time at my church. I used to carry @ 4:30. But, I did find that I had to protect myself.

Another thing I sometimes do that has worked quite well is "pocket" carry a SW BG 380.

·
Administrator
39,504 Posts
I've never used one, but a Smartcarry would probably solve that issue. It isn't likely anyone will be placing their hand where those are designed to carry.
Not long ago, I had a lady put her arm round me unexpectedly, and placed her hand on the butt of my revolver. She never flinched or even made any suggestion that something unusual might be there.

·
Registered
5,358 Posts
I use a cell pal. I get hugged a lot at church. The ladies know I hate hugs, so they do it extra showy-like. Never been made....

·
10,379 Posts
Sorry, but, "Take your stinkin' paws off me you damn dirty ape!" was the first thought that crossed my mind.

I have a personal space issue, I don't like being touched. I don't care for unsolicited physical contact of any nature. If it's consensual, I can generally manage to steer their hands/arms away from my waistline without being too obvious about it.

If someone manages to surprise me, well, it's my fault for letting my situational awareness be that lax. If they have an issue with what they hit, well, that's their problem, I didn't ask them to latch onto me. I've had it happen to me before, and no...it was not my sidearm they were surprised to hit.

Now, onto your question, holsters. If I'm concealed I generally use my Crossbreed ST at 3-4 o'clock.

·
Registered
119 Posts
If she feels something hard, just say, "Medical Device" and leave it at that. If they press further, just say that you'd rather not talk about it. Your work would be prohibited from asking about it as well.

Many diabetics have insulin pumps and chronic pain sufferers have tens units attached that would be something hard under a shirt.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I am close friends with a female cop that loves to hug!!! That said she has more than once found the butt of my SR9c at 4 oclock at which time she just gives me a pat on the back & a wink!! LOL I use a JT leather IWB!

BW

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
place your arms under hers, so she more has to hug around your shoulder/neck area. Or do the one under/one over technique with the gunside arm going under. Anything to avoid her arm being approximate to your waistline area on your gunside. Should solve the issue without purchasing another holster.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
When I know a hug is comming, I lean into it with my left (non gun) side.

Reactions: gale155

·
Registered
537 Posts
I know I've been "made" a time or two with mine but they have never skipped a beat.

What about this?

22678lg.jpg

Reactions: PATRONE

·
Registered
202 Posts
hahaha, yea I'd say ankle carry or a Smart Carry type system...as said before, if she's hugging your ankles, thats weird. And if she's anywhere near where the smart carry type systems place your firearm, well she's already been so compromised I doubt she will say anything haha

·
Registered
202 Posts
I tend to pocket carry. While I would prefer to have a full size weapon (obviously), I live in the great state of Florida. I don't want to carry a 1911 iwb with my shorts and t-shirt. I pocket carry a snubby or my p238 and it looks like a wallet/cell phone.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
My daughter has given me a big hug when I was carrying my PT145 in a IWB appendix at 1 to 1:30, and she didn't notice a thing...love that little PT145 :)

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I carry my 24/7 .45 OSS at 3'o clock. If I have ever been made they never said anything. As far as church goes, they love the fact of having a semi-trained armed person there to protect them. If I feel like it may be a person that won't understand I give them the I am not in the mood for a hug look.lol I use the smart carry type also but I carry it a the same position when I were my no-belt shorts. I like both methods.

·
Registered
828 Posts
No guns involved but I was in a situation frequently some years ago where everybody wanted to hug. I don't mind ususally but sometimes I didn't want to or didn't want to hug that particular person. What I did was to extend my hand for a handshake. One person said, "What? No hug" I replied, "Do you want a sincere handshake or an insincere hug?" They got a goofy look on their face and shook my hand.

Steve

Reactions: sargedog

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
Sorry, but, "Take your stinkin' paws off me you damn dirty ape!" was the first thought that crossed my mind.

I have a personal space issue, I don't like being touched. I don't care for unsolicited physical contact of any nature. If it's consensual, I can generally manage to steer their hands/arms away from my waistline without being too obvious about it.

If someone manages to surprise me, well, it's my fault for letting my situational awareness be that lax. If they have an issue with what they hit, well, that's their problem, I didn't ask them to latch onto me. I've had it happen to me before, and no...it was not my sidearm they were surprised to hit.

Now, onto your question, holsters. If I'm concealed I generally use my Crossbreed ST at 3-4 o'clock.
+11!!! IMHO...

As long as you're not violating company policy, too bad what she thinks. If you move or rearrange your carry, that could jeopardize your life in a SD situation. Fumbling for your car keys is one thing, trying to remember where you're carrying is another. Maybe you could tell her 'hands off', because you feel 'sexually harassed'. :D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts