Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Those of you who carry the heavier metal frame guns like the 900's, 1911's- what is you holster choice?
I have recently purchased a used Sig 228 which is a little heavier than my 111. So, I'm kinda looking for a comfortable "part-time" carry holster. I have a Supertuck, but its a pain- I'm thinking along the lines of a plastic paddle holster, or possibly even leather. Something thats easy on and off for concealed carry outside the waist band.
What do you guys use that you really like?

·
Premium Member
15,932 Posts
I carry my full size 24/7 in a Fobus Paddle holster on occasion, for a training class (instructor wants a belt OWB holster or paddle), but my main holster is the Theis, IWB as it hids so much better.

·
10,379 Posts
I carry my 1911 daily. For OWB carry I really like my Serpa. Nice wide paddle that doesn't dig into you, adjustable cant, and damn near indestructible. I've done terrible things to that holster on accident and it looks none the worse for wear. The only thing I wish it would do is hold the pistol closer to my body, but, being OWB I can't really see how they'd do that.

·
Registered
597 Posts
For my 1911 in the Open Carry I use my Uncle Mikes open top Kydex Holster. I wear this to the Range and on occasion when I feel better letting people know I have heat.
Mostly though the Theis Holster is the way to go. It carries so well and is very comfortable. I have tried a few other OWB holsters for CC and they just dont work for me. I either want you to know Im packing, or I don't want you to even have a clue, there is no in the middle for me.

·
Registered
9,164 Posts
I have a Bianchi Minimalist belt holster that can pull double duty for my 945 and my 1911. I also have a Fobus kydex holster for my 945 (RU 97) that i use on days i don't wear belts.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
All the above are great holster (have them all) but I think the blackhawk serpa is better. I agree with Wolf 1477 they are rough and tough and hard to beat. I have one for my OSS and one for the XD I had. If you look you can find them for $35-40 and I think they are worth the extra $. It has where you are the only one that is able to pull your gun more than likely. Just my .02 hope it helps.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
What kind of price range are you looking at? For fifty dollars or less you can put your hands on a great holster. I am currently using a Gunmate belt slide holster for my SR40 that I paid something like $15 for. As Gunmate is an Uncle Mike's company, I looked them up and found that they make a nice, versatile nylon paddle holster.

Better than custom, because you can adjust it on the fly to accommodate your preferences.

• Paddle adjusts for vertical, butt-forward or muzzle-forward (cross-draw) carry
  • Molded offset spacer adjusts holster height for your body type, torso length, gun-butt configuration and mode of dress
  • Paddle made of semi-rigid material that conforms to hip for comfort and concealment
  • Offset spacer and vertical adjustability make this a great holster for women.
  • Thin Kodra laminate creates a low profile
  • Holster completely encloses trigger guard and features a non-stretch retention strap and molded thumb break.
  • Offset spacer keeps gun off of hip structure and parallel to centerline of body.

·
Super Moderator
19,625 Posts
For my PT 1911, I bought a Blackhawk Serpa for OWB. For my newly purchased combat size 1911, I have ordered a Crossbreed Supertuck for IWB concealed carry.

I have a minituck I use for my PT140 and PT145 and really like it - not a bit of trouble concealing, tucking, etc. which is why I was so quick to go for the supertuck for the larger gun. What do you not like about yours?

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
I sometimes carry my 5" 1911 IWB in a High Noon Bare Asset. Works great - the pistol stays put, and the Bare Asset offers complete coverage of trigger guard and the entire muzzle. They're made out of pretty thin leather, which I like. Just thick enough to provide a little padding, but not so thick that it drastically increases the overall width. They're pretty cheap too - less than $30.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Carrying a heavier gun also requires a good belt. I believe the belt is nore important then the holster.

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
For heavy holsters and belts try El Paso Saddlery of El Paso, TX or DM Bullard of Azle, TX. Both have very nice pancake holsters and if you want something a little fancy, try the hand-tooled ones! it's a Texas Thang! :D

·
Administrator
39,366 Posts
I have to agree with those that say a proper belt, will go further in the comfort level of carrying a large handgun. More so, than the holster. Go for the good support first, then find that favorite holster.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently ordered a Max Tuck IWB holster from White Hat Holsters. I carry my PT 24/7 Pro .40 cal, Millennium Pro PT140 and Judge Public Defender (stainless steel, not polymer) in it. The Max Tuck is the most comfortable IWB holster I've ever used. With over 25 years in law enforcement, I've used many different types of concealable and IWB holsters.
It's very simular to Galcos and Cross Breeds IWB holsters, but is more versital and has more options.
They have great customer service and the turn around time from order to mailbox is usually two weeks.
Go to their website at www.whitehatholsters.com. There are videos on the website you can watch that compares White Hat to other brands of tuckable IWB's.
Wayne

·
Registered
101 Posts
I always carry in condition one and prefer some sort of active retention but have never been a fan of straps. My go-to rig of choice for my EDC Kimber Ultra CDP II is a Bianchi CarryLok on a 5.11 Tactical 1.75" leather belt...

It offers a great combination of an open top holster with active retention that keeps my Kimber nice and secure. Unlike most other holsters of its kind, the release lever sits just behind the trigger guard and is designed to be operated with the middle finger. This placement allows your index finger to operate freely and align with the trigger while drawing your weapon. It's a very sturdy holster and when used with a purpose built gun belt the rig is as solid as they come. You can see in the photo that the fully loaded pistol stands straight up in the holster on its own. It comes in a variety of sizes and molds for 1911s, revolvers, and a variety of other pistols. A PaddleLok version is available as well...

Reactions: dbeardslee

·
Registered
101 Posts
Recently picked up a second Bianchi CarryLok for the SIG P220...

I absolutely love these holsters!

Reactions: dbeardslee

·
Registered
101 Posts
Thank you Sir,

They continue to serve me well...

·
Premium Member
16,956 Posts
BroJohn, I own several holsters by several manufactures but my favorite's are made by Kirkpatrick Leather holds my pistols up high and tight to my body and very comfortable too.

Kirkpatrick Concealment Holsters

1.1 USA.gif

1 - 20 of 24 Posts