Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know what you guys do with the stiff leather & binding of new holsters. Different manufacturers recommend different methods. Just got a new Don Hume and in order to get it to accept gun and allow easy withdrawal, I had to work the stitching for 3 days by hand. Directions said not to apply oils. Hume & others coat their finished leather with a kind of varnish. The amount of this stuff I removed from stitching-the more limber things got. I know you want to keep the shape as is, for the most part, but do any of you have workable techniques?

Thanks, smit

·
Registered
279 Posts
i've always used batting glove oil on my stubborn holsters. works great on new boots too. just rub some on inside and out, place your pistol on a wal-mart bag, and place it in holster. this time of the year placing the holster with the pistol in it under your seat and let the heat make it all better.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Hume & others coat their finished leather with a kind of varnish.
Interesting... :)..I figure maybe they use a wax, I would think a hard finish on leather would be a problem..Dunno :???:

I have always done what fords4life has done..
I worked back in the good-ole days, so I figure it is still good..

Should get some good replies on this..I would like too know a little more myself :)

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Y'all for the responses!

The finish I mentioned on the Don Hume is probably just some kind of preservative. I took the holster to work yesterday and blew out the stitching with compressed air. That helped (a lot). Also just blew off the rest on remainder of holster. Course I've been working the leather by hand to soften. It wasn't really a hard finish, more of a flaky wax dbsoundguy.........

The 7 shadow 2 from Bianchi was no problem after two nights wrapped around my PT145.

Would be nice to have further response from others.

Thanks again
smit

·
Moderator Emeritus, with us always.
15,931 Posts
paulrabe78 said:
Over jealous, or over zealous?
Ok, so one time I spelled a word wrong!! :???: Yeah, I meant Zealous! :rolleyes: I know my new Don Hume was highly shined, but no excess, so my thoughts are probably true. I will have delivery of my 2nd one from them, last of this month, will see if it has large polish deposits on it. :D

·
Registered
202 Posts
I am thinking of buying a quality leather holster here soon. I was curious if they fit tight enough to prevent the gun from simply falling out. I dont want my legally concealed firearm to fall out. I also dont want to have to buy a black hawk typ hard bulky holster.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I recently purchased an IWB holster from Tennessee Gun Works for my Springfield XD Compact and they recommended applying a light coat of vasolene petroleum jelly on the holster to help break tthe holster in to fit your gun.

I also have on Order a Holster for my 44 Mag from Sipply Rugged Holsters out of Wasilla, AK for a combo IWB/belt holsterand I'm real interested in seeing how it turns out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts