Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wondering if anybody has any problems feeding hollow points in their PT145 ??? I have shot a couple hundred rounds of ball ammo through my PT145 with no problems whatsoever. I bought some Federal Hydra Shok, 230gr jhp. I have not fired any through her yet. However when I loaded a magazine, and manually racked one into the chamber, The nose of the hollow point tended to catch on the ramp, and not want to feed. But if I had the slide locked back, and released the slide under recoil tension, the hollow point loaded fine... Has anybody experienced similar issues with their PT145??? I guess the real test will be at the range. What type of defence rounds do you guys reccomend for the PT145... Thanks

·
Registered
138 Posts
I've run probably close to 1,000 rds of WWB (Winchester White Box) JHPs through mine without a hitch.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Pulling the slide all the way back, then releasing it is the proper way to chamber a round. My wife even had problems chambering FMJ until she learned this technique.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Doug said:
I've run probably close to 1,000 rds of WWB (Winchester White Box) JHPs through mine without a hitch.
I haven't fired that many, but I haven't had any problems either.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I ran a box of 20 Speer 45 Auto +P 200gr Gold Dots through my MilPro pt145 over the weekend. Had one round that failed to feed out of the 20 fired. A push on the slide got it to chamber without much issue though, but still, not the best for a self defense situation. When I get the money, I'll run another 180 through it to to make sure that the gun doesn't have an issue.

·
Registered
89 Posts
My 2nd generation DAO likes the 160 grain Corbon DPX copper tops:

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/Corbon 160 gr DPX.htm

Lets face it...what we have is a short barrel so lighter/speedy bullets are the ticket for expansion, less recoil and faster follow up shots. I've found that I am far more accurate with these...and shot placement is the key...eh?

I've found that my weapon does not like cheap practice range ammo...such as the Winchester White box...hard primers and light strikes result. I would definitley stay away from +P and heavier grain bullets, which are unlikely to expand anyhoo, if you want a trouble free pistol.

·
Registered
279 Posts
i've run 2 boxes of Federal 230gr hydrashocks thru mime with no problem.

·
Administrator
39,943 Posts
I'm gonna have to agree with dawgfvr on the faster, lighter bullets now. I shot Winchester Super X 230gr. JHPs and Winchester Super X Silvertip 185gr. Hollowpoints through 21 layers of denim shirt material, backed by 2X8 plank and two dry phone books approximately 2 1/2 inchs thick each. The 230gr. JHP expanded little to none. The hollowpoint collapsed, but penetration was greater. The 185gr. Silvertip expanded very well (almost 3/4 inch) and penetrated almost as far. Penetration was into the first book about 2/3's of the way.

Now 230gr. ball had superior penetration. Just cleared the 1st book. No expansion. :thumb: :zzz:

And the original question was problems feeding hollowpoints. My PT145 Pro has fed everything flawlessly, including my lead flat nosed reloads.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Gold Dots work great in mine, factory and reloads

1 - 12 of 12 Posts